HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:13 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
I finished replacing the 6mm gearbox in my Sukhoi about two weeks ago after its failed maiden. Ever since then, the weather has not permitted a maiden (my Sukhoi will be a no-wind flyer it seems). But, with the wind we've had, I figured I'd give the micro HLG another try.

I put the brick from my mCX heli in place and reworked the linkages to get rid of much slop as possible. Unfortunately, even a half millimeter of slop results in several millimeters of deflection in the elevator, resulting in twitchy behavoir. I may have to opt for a standard elevator as apposed to the full flying version I'm running now.

I also finished getting a 2nd set of wings done, the balsa/durobatics version will be for ultra light lift days. The 2nd set I made is just cellfoam88 with an airfoil sanded in. I gave it a few tosses, despite the elevator issues, and was quite pleased with the results. I was able to launch it much harder and higher than I was expecting. I probably didnt get more than a 30 second flight, but its a good start.

Unless I can find a way to remove litterally ALL slop from the elevator linkages, a normal elevator will go in place soon. I also dont think the linear servos are the best suited servos for the full flying elevator, as the resolution just isnt there. I cant seem to find the camera at the moment, but I'll snap some shots and try to get a video in soon.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
You might try a pull/spring return, to get rid of slop. See the last photo on my post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13

I used Falcon 1.6 g servos, which have a lot of slop, but the final assembly ended up with no slop.
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Not a bad idea! I dont have any music wire thin enough unfortunately, and as I mentioned in the other thread, I smashed the glider pretty good yesterday. While I'm doing the repairs, I think I'm just going to make it a fixed elevator. It'll still look like its a full flying setup, but having a fixed horizontal stab should really help keep things going straight during launch.

As soon as its all done, and I can find the camera (must've grown legs and wandered off...), I'll snap some shots.

Nick
Old Apr 10, 2009, 01:55 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Finally some video of this thing! It wasnt the most optimal flying conditions, a bit too late in the day for any real rising heat, a bit too much wind, and temps that barely reached 50F all day.

I redid the elevator after my buddy accidently crushed the plane with his RC truck, and then I redid the elevator again after a young kid crushed the plane when trying to catch the glider One more crushing and I'll have it just like I want it The new fixed elevator makes flying much easier over the original floppy full flying elevator, it also let me drop my AUW to 18.1 grams and my wingloading to around 2.2oz/sq ft.

The 4th throw in the video the elevator stuck, which it does sometimes if I dont turn on the dual rates, which I apparently hadnt done. It got stuck inverted no less, porpoising down and down, going downwind, and unsticking just in time before meeting the ground - too close. At around 2 minutes in I add a bit more balast, certainly makes wind penetration easier.

I'm getting some more balsa tomarrow to make a new wing. I've found I can really chuck this thing quite hard, but the current wing flutters on a hard launch and takes all the fun out of it, plus it needs a decent airfoil. I've managed to grab a small thermal here and there over culdesacs and small slopes, resulting in very quick climbs and nice long flights - very rewarding and relaxing flying.

Hopefully the weather will continue to improve around here and I can get some video of it gaining some altitude and proper flight times.

With the PZ 6 channel brick and soon to be external micro servos, a full house control glider should be in order - 24" span with elevator, rudder, ailerons, and flaps for launch, thermal and airbrake settings. Just needs a set of CNC'd micro foam cores......

Nick

Micro Manta RC HLG glider (2 min 25 sec)
Last edited by micro_builder; Apr 10, 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: corrected wingloading numbers
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:57 AM
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2009
813 Posts
Found Mr Micro Biulders' work on Geodes' site and am well impressed--like it coz my project is in a simular viegn-
If you like this then check out my build/bash/project
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020233

PIG
POWERGROOVES is online now Find More Posts by POWERGROOVES
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:08 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,224 Posts
I can see by the way it's getting kicked around that the wind around there is BRUTAL! Not only fast but turbulent as the inside of a washing machine.

The model itself is extremely slick though. Nice project.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,123 Posts
Nice work Nick!

Man, you can really chuck that thing! Looks like alot of fun!

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:00 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Thanks guys

The wind was indeed nasty that day, but at under 20 grams it doesnt take much to knock it around, 2-5mph is just about right, but I've flown it in 10+mph winds - it was more surfing than flying at that point.

Rob, I can indeed put some oomph into the launches, but the way I launch it is exaggerated so as to help keep the load down on the plane. The long sweeping side arm movement should be less stresfull than something short and abrupt...I havent ripped a wing off yet, so I guess it works I think I'll have to put one of those little 2g How High altimeters in it to see just what kind of height it actually gets, I could use the balast anyway!

I somehow burnt up the elevator motor last night, and I still havent made it to the LHS for more balsa (going to build a really nice carrier box too), but the layout for the 24" 6ch version are in the works, and the thought of a micro hotliner is giving me the itch. Should be a fun summer.
Last edited by micro_builder; Apr 14, 2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:16 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Wow! nice to see this plane and throw technique. Would love to see a slomotion vid of the throwing and climbing step. I cant beleive that the plane and the rudders mechanics stand this pressure in throw

If a imagine to do this with my smallest foamies, I see a cloud of flakes coming down

Respect, thats a fun!
markus
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Thanks Markus. The elevator is what surprises me, the plane tracks pretty straight during launch so the rudder doesnt get used till it peaks, but that elevator must be seeing a load nearly the whole way up. Wonder if that could've caused the servo motor to fail...

I might be picking up one of those little audio/video converters that will let me record with a camcorder and transfer it to my PC, rather than using a digital camera. Quality should be much much better, enough for slomotion probably
Old May 02, 2009, 12:55 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Got a second clip of video from the other day, some folks asked for plans, so I posted my original set of parts. I thought I'd do something a bit better though, so here's an updated set of parts and some measurements I took off the glider - the pictures arent to scale, they're just a reference.

On another note, yesterday I installed a 7mm motor on the nose in hopes of some micro hotliner action, but with an AUW at 26g with the new motor and bigger lipo, it barely had enough oomph to maintain altitude. Maybe a gearbox with a folder? Anyone know the smallest folding prop available?

Thanks,
Nick
Last edited by micro_builder; May 02, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:39 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,357 Posts
Glad to see you've got your glider in the air. Look like it flies great.

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old May 11, 2009, 07:22 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Anyone know the smallest folding prop available?
well, not sure they are the smallest, but smallest i know of. near the bottom of this link
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 12, 2009, 12:01 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Thanks, Adam. I built my first fuselage for my 40" Apogee wing recently so this little guy has been on the shelf for a few days. I sure wish ParkZone would hurry up with those new micro servos of theirs, I want full house controlls!

Thanks for that link, Derrik, the 96x60 just might do the trick. Any work on that micro Primary you started a thread on?

Nick
Old May 12, 2009, 02:03 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
no, not yet. i was going to buy a hand built freeflight model, then i was informed of the price, so it looks like i will have to build that one myself
but id still like to get something started. maybe i could use my bomb drop mechanism from my vapor and carry it up that way i will start a thread on it when i have something to post.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk