SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I put a 'twang' hook on the heavier model, and have tried a few CLG launches, but it requires 1) full down trim and 2) a hard-to-find helper. I have also used a length of 3/8" or 1/4" flat rubber with light string with a wire ring to do traditional bungee glider launches. It flies on tow just like a big 2 or 3 meter glider on Hi-Start.

I still have some of the not-too-efficient K&P folders that was to be used on an old KP-00 motor, and think it and a 7 mm pager would make one of these little jewels into a micro hot-liner...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:15 PM
Nashville, Tennesse, United States
Joined Mar 2004
195 Posts
I've been watching your progress with great interest.This is very neat. I was outside moments ago thinking about one for myself. And as Mike says above, put a motor on that thing. There's no reason not to add one of the 2gm brushless beauties going around here onto this. I know you're really aiming for the hlg but, as light as this is and as consuming as this has become I'd hate to hear of you specking this out i.e. up up and away. A small motor would ad ballast for better penetration and give you a chance to get out of or into trouble.
Higher is offline Find More Posts by Higher
Old Oct 10, 2008, 07:04 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Nice bird model Mike

I like the pods to hide the bricks as well. I have to make one to hide the Vapor brick I am using here
Scorpio FF glider converted to R/C (1 min 5 sec)

I am interested in everyone's progress. I put a Vapor brick on my Scorpio to hopefully hunt for thermals and to not have to walk as far. The Scorpio is a Rapier powered FF endurance model. I'm limited in where I can fly especially now that the field you see is offically off limits to me. I hope you all don't mind me posting here. I think were after nearly the same thing, I just don't have a good throwing arm

The light was going down and it was getting cold in the video. I know I'll get better times with some good air. For those of you thinking about using the Vapor brick, I highly recommend it. I did not have any range problems that day. I used a DX7 as the x'mitter.
ginsu1797 is offline Find More Posts by ginsu1797
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:06 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
Charos/Mike,
Thats all very helpful info, I'm still learning the ropes on gliders, thanks for the info. Mike, do you know of any other small folding props?

Higher,
I couldnt agree more with you and Mike, turning one of these into something like a mini hot-liner would be really fun. This particular plane will remain a glider, but after putting a 7mm motor with the 16" version I did earlier, I'd love to give that a try with the next version. Ailerons and a v-tail would be a cool addition as well. Micro F5B anyone?

Cool video, ginsu1797, rocket assist is fun to watch. Any pics of the plane itself?

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:04 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Nick, for small folding props you could make your own using old-school techniques from old free flight models. You'll probably find one if you browse through www.theplanpage.com . You'd need a prop balancer of course. Some of those old planes would even use a single blade prop with a counter weight on the other side. Pretty neat stuff...

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
There is a large difference in the technology needed to carve a balsa folder spinning at up to 400 to 600 rpm than needed for an electric motor spinning 10 times as fast. I have some fairly large electric folders. The hub and blade shapes both are complex shapes, made with closer tolerances than I can replicate in the shop without being more work than it is worth.

However, given Gordon's classic work on making CF props, recent silicone molding threads, and the vacuum forming threads in other forums, someone with a proper tooling could make some cute units, but doing so is not the same as making one of the thread/tube/wire/balsa units.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:42 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Uh, yeah, that's...uh, true... wasn't really thinking when I posted I guess. It was just the first thought that came to mind. An impulse answer if you will.

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Oct 11, 2008, 02:54 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
i can try to get my monocoupe plans scanned it has how to make a folding prop on it it might be a few days though but i
can try
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Oct 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
If someone has the tooling, like a lathe and / or CNC set-up, I see a micro-niche product here. A CF spinner, backplate and folder hub and blades of a couple of sizes, vacuum formed or injection molded in female molds, made to fit the little BL motors, incorporating a lock like on Uttam's prop adapters... You could kill a number of birds with a single product...

Single blade props probably aren't a good idea. Even on rubber nose assemblies, they eventually bend the shaft from the asymmetrical load - that would be a bad thing...
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Cool video, ginsu1797, rocket assist is fun to watch. Any pics of the plane itself?

Nick
Hi Nick, there's some build pics here http://www.jetex.org/scripts/yabb2/n...num=1220951693. I'd post them straight here but I am not at my pc at the moment. It needs some more work. I just slapped the brick on there for proof of concept. I plan to lighten it up in the future.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
This is maybe just a little too small in diameter, or may not handle a BL motor, but its a thought: PU04 Mark II w/folding prop. Graupner also has a 4.7x2.4" folding prop with spinner, but again, I dont know if it would work - I dont think I've ever used a folding prop before.

That wing on your glider looks great, ginsue1797, nice and clean. Good luck with the future version.

Anyone have any 3 views of hot liner type planes?

Nick

edit: I was wrong, found this little 3.5" folder while looking for my stash of LEDs. I think it came from a big twin motor thrust differential steering plane, there should be a 2nd one, but I have no idea where it would be. It could be lightened quite a bit I think if it were to be used.
Last edited by micro_builder; Oct 12, 2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:50 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
Well I decided to go back to the drawing board.

Im going with an RC CLG concept this time around, although this first version here may stay as a chucky.

Specs for this one are 375mm (14.75" Projected span).
Weight is 23g.

I have plenty of ideas to reduce the AUW to about 18g and I also want to
get another 2mm or so extra depth into the wing for the PZ Brick, which should be possible.

Wing was made from 6lb/cu/yd next time I will use 4lb as well as a smaller 4mm diameter fuselage carbon tube.

I am less than happy with the current installation but it will do for the time being.

As you can see in the pics the only thing to finish off is to attach the push rods and a nose cone (which is the pull tab for the battery), other than that its complete.
Charos is offline Find More Posts by Charos
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
Looks good, Charos. I think the way you installed the brick is pretty good, it lets you keep the fuselage nice and skinny and doesnt look like it adds too much drag. Cant quite tell in the pics, but does that CF tube taper to a smaller diameter at one end? If so, where'd you find it at?

Early next week I'll be putting in an order for a new PZ brick finally and putting it in my little HLG. I finished the building on mine a month and a half ago and its just been sitting on the shelf staring at me ever since. It needs to see some airtime.

Let us know how the maiden goes

Nick
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
Nick

I obtained the wrapped carbon tube from "peck-polymers" they have 3 different sizes in stock. The one you see is the 6.8g tapered tube its about 6.7mm at one end and 4.5mm at the other.

I also bought some 4mm Carbon Lenny Tubes from there as well, I intend on turning them on the lathe to shave them down to 3g weight for the next model.

The main reason the PZ Brick is not seated as I would like is due to the large root dihedral which really makes it hang out in the breeze, I will rectify that next time.

Other than work keeping me busy, I just got a day off today but its blowing a gale, the outlook looks the same for the next few days.

I did manage to get it balanced and a few trial glides in the few brief moments of still air and it went rather well.

Will let you know how things progress.

BTW: Weight creep really set in and now this version is about 26g

MK2 Will see some improvements in weight, even though it too may have 6lb balsa wing, as I seem to have a stockpile of it.

Let us know how you fair when you get you PZ Brick.

Regards

Trent.
Charos is offline Find More Posts by Charos
Old Nov 22, 2008, 04:04 AM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Nice job hiding the brick Charos. That's slick.