SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:33 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
The new wing looks great - nice and light and clean... I gotta get the Apogee back in build mode...

Flying tails are very effective, and if you are careful about the pivot location, they don't impose too much load. Since they need to move so little, a long control horn is in order, and that should lighten the servo load as well.

I forget how much total throw the old Kraft servos I used in the Cirrus had (maybe 3/4"?), but the control horn is ~1 1/2" or 2" long (I could go measure if you're interested). Total tail movement was less than 15 or 20 degrees (~8 each way) while the rudder swung 45 degrees on each side.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:35 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
thanks Mike, this one turned out a lot better than the first two wings. which Apogee do you have, ECMs or Charles Rivers? ECMs Apogee Elite looks fantastic.

any suggestions on the pivot location for the flying tail? i thought it would be better if the pivot was closer to the LE of the elevator, but wasnt sure. i'd certainly like to use the flying tail since it is so effective, i'll have to look into it more, maybe over at SFA in the gliders section, they're bound to have tons of info.

thanks,
nick

oh, i sanded out a pair of foam wings last night. i only rounded the edges on it and taped the leading and trailing edges, but its quite heavy. the balsa wing half is only 1.2 grams, and one of the new foam wing halves is a whopping 2.6g. no wonder all my bigger foam builds end up heavier than i expect! i've gotta find something differant than this cellfoam 88, its only 3mm, but its like a brick.
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Last edited by micro_builder; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 02:40 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I'm building a classic version - the old one with the carved wing...
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:03 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm building a MiMi DLG, and the plan has sanding templates for the airfoil. I tried it for the first time, and it worked very well in getting an accurate airfoil. The wood Apogee plan on the Charles River website has a semielliptical wing that was very difficult to shape accurately. I think if you went with a 4 panel design, like the MiMi, or a miniature version of the Super Gee, it would be much easier.

Here is the build thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=840763&page=4
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:26 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I used the elliptical curves drawn on the surface and cut away to in order, as detailed in the CR site instructions. It was very fast and easy to get a decently shaped blank. The wing was easy; it's harder getting around to making the boom, tail CF pieces, and plug for the pod.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:56 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
I used the method outlined here:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...oilshaping.pdf

But, the tangent lines shown here didn't really help much, because they represent where the sanding plane would make contact with the "buried" airfoil.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...wing_plan1.pdf

I had to identify the points where the sanding planes intersect, thus defining where I would have to mask with tape to stop the sanding block. This is what I used, but it had to be done over and over, at different chord lengths:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl..._tangents1.pdf

I would have been fine if I only had to do it for the airfoils at the ends of the panel, but you can't do that for an elliptical wing.
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Last edited by Mr._Mulligan; Jul 31, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2005
160 Posts
thank you so much for the plans I am going to go build one now!!!!
I think I will build it entirely of 1/32 to reduce weight and test the "breaking points that might need 1/16 balsa. I might be able to get the digital scale from my stepdads work to wiegh it but its not granteed
Zack999 is offline Find More Posts by Zack999
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:12 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
finally back to this project. i had built the 2nd wing half shortly after getting back from vacation, and i got my foam earlier today so i was able to finish up the wing. i added a layer of tape along the LE for strength, but i think it added too much weight, as the wing is now at 5.5g. estimated AUW is now around 16-17 grams.

it looks pleanty clean with the foam covering, and with the foam it was strong enough to leave out the CF rod in the 2nd wing half, saving a bit of weight. i also made a balsa plug for a pod, should have the materials for that soon. once the pod is done i can start putting it all together and give it a chuck.

nick
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
I have been watching this thread with great interest Micro_Builder.

Like yourself I am also interested in Micro-HLG's and thought I would share
a few pics of a 20" projected span design im currently building.

I have modified a Free Flight HLG called "Bliss" with a new Y-Tail and altered fuselage.

Looks like my AUW will be 35g. I guess that translates to approx 8g/DM^2.
Which is a just a tad heavier than yours.

Im using a Vapor DSM2 Brick and a Bahoma 90mah Lipo.

All RC gear will be fully enclosed bar the Lipo which is flush with the side of the fuselage for easy replacement.

Here is a couple of pics.
Charos is offline Find More Posts by Charos
Last edited by Charos; Aug 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:49 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Charos,

The links don't seem to work...

Regarding the 'Bliss', are you going to keep it as a CLG? If so, be prepared to move the CG forward some and feed in down trim for the launch. I fly where the is some slope and thermal lift, and found it was necessary to get my models to maneuver decently is the small spaces I fly in... I did a couple of these, both 22" WS, 34 and 40 gram weights. The heavier one gets a lot more altitude on launch than the lighter one.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:04 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
Mike thanks for the tip.

Im using the Bliss as HLG not CLG - the plan does not mention or indicate its useage as a CLG. I know it was used for that purpose though.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to attach images as thumbnails.

I have uploaded the images to my profile. I used the only option available to post them with [IMG] tags but that didnt seem to work.

Oh well will have to sort that one out.
Last edited by Charos; Aug 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:21 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
nice birds Mike. there's a squirrel i raised that now lives in our trees by the field, he doesnt appreciate any of my gliders very much. the swallows always seem to join in the flying though.

Charos,
to post pictures, click on the blue "new reply" button under the last post in this thread (currently below this post on the left). there you can write your post, and below the text box is a gray button that says Manage Attatchments. click that and you can upload your photos to your post. glad to see there's more folks interested in the micro gliders

nick
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
Thanks guys I think I have it sorted now - the pics should be available for everyone I hope.

From memory I left the "display order" set to "0" which didnt help much.

PS: The tail feathers in the first shot dont have the control surfaces attached yet, incase your all wandering why it looks sawn off.
The second shot will eventually have a 1mm sheet side plate like the other side of the fuselage has, covering all the inards.
Last edited by Charos; Aug 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:21 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
One thing Nick omitted in his instructions is, after you have selected the images off your P/C in the 'manage attachments' window, you need to click 'Upload'...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:53 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
I'm waiting to make a run to the hobby shop to pick up some better epoxy and other stuff for a kevlar pod (thanks, Adam), but in the mean time i still had a perfectly good working PZ rx.

i took the first, smaller wing i did, covered in it durobatics, built probably the ugliest looking fuse pod in existance, and there it was. i wasnt going to add the 7mm, but i figured with all the drag from the pod, it probably wouldnt hurt to have the power.

weight before the motor and without battery was 12.5g, with the 7mm and a 50mah lipo the weight is now at 17.9 grams. i gave it a few very short semi-powered glides and it seems to go straight and true so far, tomarrow i'll give it a toss and see how she really goes.

nick