HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman77 View Post
about working with foam like EPP, EPS or styrodur I think there`s no anything better than UHU POR, very good glue, I don`t know if it`s avaliable in US, but here in Europe all of us use this. Strong, stays flexible, almost undestroyable. And safe for any styro or depron... It should be enough to join that halves of wing...

At surface area, like matches box You can hang about 6-8 pounds...
UHU POR is what u use on all of my foam planes, but I was more concerned with how to join the sections together. Such as should I just glue them end to end? Or cut both sides at an angle or cut an interlocking pattern. Just glueing them together doesn't seem like it could handle the stress of a DLG. Do I need to glass each joint? Also I haven't worked with fiberglass much can some explain in detail the best way to do it. Thank you all.
mattconn24 is online now Find More Posts by mattconn24
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:44 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Yes, UHU handles it. Glassing all joints should help. Buy very thin glass cloth for ex 25g/sq m and glue it with CA styro safe, it handle for sure. Or use thinned with alcohol epoxy resin, for ex L285 - it`s very good resin, used in normal size gliders, with aviation tests. I bought in Czech republic in Havel e-shop. Quite expensive - about 30-40 $ for 1L but lasts for years...
sherman77 is offline Find More Posts by sherman77
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman77 View Post
do any of You use flex floppy disks for movable stab part support - it is very good material, almost undestroyable and very light
Do you mean for the hinges?
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Yes, indeed - thats the word i`ve missed

My first model with that hinges (floppy) is about 8 years old and nothing happens to them ( it have about 200-300 hrs of flight time)

Edit: I`m waiting for delivery of wing cores. I have a friend who cuts at hotwire ploter in styro, epp an so on. My cores are made from white

8mm depron, with Yasu design from his sketches. Im very happy with that and curious what will be the weight of wings... They are in one

700mm piece...

So I`m thinkig of making bend wingtips like for ex. in Parkzone radian, from one long piece strenghtened with CF rod...

Good or bad idea? Only problem can be with covering and disscus launch.
Last edited by sherman77; Nov 07, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:44 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
the depron wings sound interesting, but as you said covering could be an issue. maybe see if he can cut you some from blue or pink foam, or even some medium weight eps foam, all of these are fairly easy to use a low temp iron on film with. for the spar, you could use a piece of 0.5mm x 3-4mm carbon flat and use some thin ply wood at the dihedral joint. you might also need to make the trailing edge stronger with either some medium balsa or small carbon.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:55 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Yes, i know it, but I was asking about bending wingtips without cutting, only with hot air bend, that should provide some strenght to wing...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajiyama View Post
I do not remember the weight of them.
Possibly less than 4g for one piece and less than 20g for one set (2pieces of form wing with base material).
I hope you will get longer flight guration!
Yasuo
I just received my foam wings in the mail and can't wait to start my new build. Yasuo can you please share how you glued your wings together? Was it just edge to edge or did you cut them at an angle to have more surface area for the glue joint. Do I need to glass the joints or will the covering material provide the needed strength? I am planing on my glider to be DLG.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Bought some ultra coat it is 13 micros thick so it should be pretty light to cover the foam wings. Hopefully it is be strong enough to handle the launches.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2004
63 Posts
Hello mattconn24,
I used Japanese glue which ingredients: styrene-butadiene rubber (43%),organic solvents(57%), cyclohexane, acetone.
I have no special method using for the joint area, just joined cutting surface together.(by edge to edge).
But joint area need to be reinforced by micro glass cloth around 20mm width on each side and also both upper & lower side.
(Refer attached pic:you can find the condition for the jointing area.)
And you need to reinforce same way for the DLG peg area.(Refer attached pic)
And also for the center joint area, you have to join them using epoxy and micro glass cloth for the reinforcement as well.
You can use same glue as above but epoxy is stronger & reliable, however little bit heavy so you need to take care not too much applied.
After this treatment, using covering film ( in my case used E-light from OK models : alternative film can be Oracover light) for the final reinforcement.
If you use this film for control area you do not need to use special hinge material because this covering film works as hinge.
(When you carefully check attached pic, you will find there is no hinge tape on it)
I hope above info. could help you.
Yasuo
kajiyama is offline Find More Posts by kajiyama
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Thank you Yasuo. I am hoping to get some time to work on it very soon.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
a pict of my latest endever
micro mini man is offline Find More Posts by micro mini man
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
i know these are sloap soar planes but you people are the only ones building planes this scale out of wood of all things. Im working on a hlg all balsa and carbon fiber.
micro mini man is offline Find More Posts by micro mini man
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajiyama View Post
I am using BSD form wing ;
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=698
This section is very good for micro SAL.
And the built up figure is as attached pics.
AUW 39.0g, wing Span: 600mm, total length:620mm,
Using HK 1.7g servo x2, Lipo: 1cell 100mAh
Receiver: HK DSM2 orange 4ch
Wing covering film : E-Light film from OK models ( thickness:20 micro)
The wing has no special reinforcement other than the covering film.
Only joint area and SAL peg area using micro glass cloth for strengthen.

Hope above information make sense to you.
Thanks
Yasuo
Could you share your method for fiberglassing the wing joints and tip for launching ped? This will be my first time using fiberglass and I do not know how. What thickness of fiberglass do I use? What glue?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Jul 2004
63 Posts
For the micro glider, due to the light weight, you can use 18g/m2 fiberglass Cloth(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...per_Thin_.html) for reinforcement of the joint area.
1) You can use this to cut 20mm width (for 10mm each of the joint) and proper length for the joint area with using Epoxy 15 to 60min or another glue such as I wrote before.
But I recommend the jointing area to mate both wing, it is better using Epoxy.
2)For the peg area, using above Cloth to cover about 30 to 40mm square area around the peg for the reinforcement.
3) And using Oxeon Texero Carbon Tape to strengthen the peg ( refer the photo uploaded before) with using the glue I posted before (or using Epoxy).
If you can not get this carbon tape, you can also use above cloth as a substitution.

PS) If you will make more tha 600mm span wing SAL, you have better adding carbon spar (3mm width x 0.5mm thickness) for the reinforcement to the under side of the wing section ( around 30% from leading edge).
Yasuo
kajiyama is offline Find More Posts by kajiyama
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:08 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
just got my latest 600mm dlg/sal finished up today and test flown in windy no-lift conditions.
it launches very straight and fairly high, likely the highest micro glider i've built yet. its fairly close to the instructions Yasu posted in his blog, i only made minor changes to it like 5mm more root cord, 5mm taller rudder and 1mm wider rudder.
for the pod, i used a piece of balsa nearly as thick as the servos and made cut outs for all the gear to nest in and sheeted the sides with 1/32 balsa. this way the gear is held tight but i didnt have to glue anything directly.
total weight is 24.5 grams which is fairly good for this size class.

i also opted not to use a pull string as i found on my last glider that the springs warped the light wood on the tails.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk