HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:53 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_lord99
I found your build while I was browsing though, and I just want to say "congats" on a beautiful bird! I can't wait to see all the hardware fitted inside of it.
thanks

i had to check Profili for the NACA 6409, quite a bit differant than the AG45 that the Manta plan gives or the AG03 on Adams sweet little glider (i've got that thread bookmarked, that little pod is awesome ).

it would be interesting to make a few wings with differant airfoils and see what works best for these smaller gliders. or maybe changing the aspect ratio, i remember seeing a very long winged micro glider a year or two ago here. what kind of flight times were you getting with yours, Adam?

pretty sure i'll go with the PZ brick, just gotta track down a cheap one, which shouldnt be too hard. although i need another TX like i need a hole in the head, but what can ya do? i'll have to try sanding some foam wings too, sounds a bit quicker for making differant airfoil shapes.

nick

oh, and that tree smashing plane will get his day...supposed to be lots of storms and lightning this week!
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm a registered user!!!
Joined Feb 2008
518 Posts
where can i find these plans? i going to get some balsa tonight.
*314*john*314* is offline Find More Posts by *314*john*314*
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
woooo nice!
I want one!

My DLG has been gathering dust for 3 years for lack of space/time, this one could fly in front of the house...

eric
CA'ed fingers is offline Find More Posts by CA'ed fingers
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:27 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
This is giving me the tissue bug. Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to cover these things? I had one bookmarked from years ago, never got into it and now the link is dead.
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:45 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
SFA has 8 pages of tissue covering topics at: http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...board=covering

I know that two of the guys who post in that forum have made a covering DVD. I'm sure that is mentioned in there...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:25 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *314*john*314*
where can i find these plans? i going to get some balsa tonight.
this is the thread i got the plans from. i modified mine a bit, but you should be able to scale yours down and print them just fine: Manta
here's another free set of plans for a 1 meter DLG: Mimi (not not Ralphs Mimi)
and Adams micro glider too: 22" SAL
there's a bunch more floating around.

Eric, what glider do you have?

solo clipper, Mikes link is more handy than anything i could offer, 99% of my past tissue jobs were just for printed tissue graphics or a simple one sided wing covering. i just used spray adhesive and secured one tissue peice at a time and shrunk it a bit with water. seemed to work ok, though the tissue shrunk too much in some areas that caused some twisting/warping.

i think i'm going to order some durobatics and use that as the skin for the next wing. the tissue allows all the building imperfections to come through on the airfoil surface. the durobatics will give a lot of streangth to the wing as well as maintain a more constistant airfoil shape. they're still selling that stuff, right?

nick
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
I'm a registered user!!!
Joined Feb 2008
518 Posts
we cant print the manta.
Last edited by *314*john*314*; Jul 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:13 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hello Nick,

Not sure which glider I have. I hanged out with some DLG jocks a couple years back and decided that I did not have the skills/tools/time/knowledge required to make my own. Some guy lent me his to practice with and eventually told me to keep it. I know it's based on one of the competition models that was popular about 4 years back and is plenty good enough for my skills.

Since I did not expect him to give it to me, I also had the parts for one custom made by the top guru of this club. Again, it was a popular model being built about 2 years ago. All the parts are in a box and are waiting for me to retire (with the present mortgages and all, that should be in 90 years or so...)

I'm happy to see these as micros and will be eager to follow development. I have my hands full right now but this might be an interesting winter project...

eric
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
Thanks guys, micro yes the durobatics seems the way to go, sucks we have no distributor in Canada.
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:12 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
314John, try putting the file on a jump drive/data storage device and take it to a place like Kinkos or Office Depot. they can print it for sure and usually resize it to your liking. i've yet to be charged too, they usually do it for free if you only need one copy.

Eric, any pics by chance? if you're ever thinking about selling them, let me know, i'm always in need of yet another plane

Solo Clipper, i'm probably going to order some durobatics this weekend. if you want some too, let me know and i can order some for you at the same time and send it your way.

nick
Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:21 PM
I'm a registered user!!!
Joined Feb 2008
518 Posts
ok thanks i can put it on a cd right?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm a registered user!!!
Joined Feb 2008
518 Posts
and another Q, what size cf rod, or tube should i use for a 30 inch wing span?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:32 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hello Nick,

I'll pull out the box of the unbuilt one and take some pics for you. By the time I get around to building it, people in this hobby will be flying DLGs made with Martian aluminium (1/60th the weight of carbon fiber)...

eric
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:54 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
john316,
yep, they can take the file from a CD. as for the boom size for a 30" span, the leangth is a matter of personal preference (some like a long boom for more straight launches, shorter boom gives faster control response). but, i'd aim for something in the 15-25 inch range. but as for thickness, look for something with an ID of around 1/3" inch or so. main thing to look for is the stiffness, so wall thickness is important too. the folks in the hand launch forum could probably give a more accurate answer.

hey Eric,
thanks! i know most of the newer models that are out, but i'm not very familiar with the older models, but i like knowing/seeing the history. i sure wish they'd hurry up with that martian aluminum, carbon fiber isnt strong enough to hold up against my crashes

nick
Last edited by micro_builder; Jul 30, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:02 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
i edited the plans a bit again, changing the airfoil, and have started building the next wing. i added a CF spar down the leangth of the wing on this one, increased the depth of the TE strip, and opted out the top sheeting since i'll be going with the durobatics covering.

the electronics are on the way (PZ cessna gear), and i should have the 2nd half of the wing done tomarrow. i leave for washington on friday though for a couple weeks, so this will be on hold till i get back.

since i'll have a perfectly working throttle channel, i think i may make a plug in motor mount in the nose so i can slide a 7mm in or out for powered flights. i think i'm also going to do away with the full flying elevator, i can just see it stripping the servo. now to decide whether to go with a normal tail or a single aileron and elevator, or v-tail. choices!

nick