HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
The wing looks good Derk, any updates on yours, Roy?

I finally got around to getting some work done on mine. Got the wing cut out and started working out the placement of the servos in the fuselage pod - the wing will be too thin to hold the servos for ailerons/flaps. Unfortunately the drive belt on my sander broke as I was shaping the pod and theres much sanding left to do. Ordered a new one, hopefully it shows up quickly.

This new wing feels much stiffer already than the first one I did for my micro hotliner. More dense and more heavy, but it shouldnt be quite as floppy.

Nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
here is the 30" polyhedral dlg all finished
auw is 39.1 grams, but it has more span and area than the 600mm one i built, so the extra weight is not noticeable.
i really like how the polyhedral wing responds quickly to rudder input, its much easier to control than the straight wing gliders i made. it also doesnt show any bad flying habits and remains stable through a stall.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 21, 2012, 09:22 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Couldve swore I posted a reply here, but apparently not.

Pretty slick looking, derk, nice work. Any vids?
Nick
Old May 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
not yet, its been dumping water balloons out here. its supposed to clear up this weekend and i will try and get out with a camera
i had it out again yesterday just before it started to rain, and i got it into a few light thermals as well as a little slope lift, it was a good time. this one doesnt launch as high as the last one, likely because the drag/weight difference.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
wow, i thought the weather today was crappy, but around 3:30 the clouds started parting and by the time i got home, the sun was out between small clouds. there was a breeze that had been coming and going, so i thought i would throw the SAL a few times and see what happened.

what a blast! once i could tell just how it reacts to a good thermal, i got one 2/3 launches! and a number of them i had to fly down out of them for fear of radio signal!
i think as indoor guys, a little gusty wind and scattered rain clouds have us spooked, but for these gliders, its the best time to be out. i know most of the thermal contests in the area happen on days that look like a bad flying day, but thats when thermals start working harder, and are more noticeable.
so next time you think its bad weather, so long as it isnt super windy or raining, go give em a few tosses and see what you can find!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
New micro DLG

Hello there, I made myself a mini DLG, it is my third time, but, finaly Im flying, send you some pics, bye !
lagarto is offline Find More Posts by lagarto
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Looks pretty slick, lagarto, nice work. Got any closeup pics of the elevator mount? How does she fly?

Your wing still in one piece, Derk?

Nick
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Hello Nick, thanks man I start building this mucros because of you so this is my third try and finally got it ! itīs flys very well now, is very fast but glids perfect, really like it, I put this little stick in the wing to make the around lunch, but couldnīt try it yet, how do you lunch your micro?
The wing is one pice yes, I used the negative of the ribs in order to make a good airfoil, but the secret ( I think ) is tu choose a very light balsawood.
The elevator mount is just a pice of balsa wood with a very light carbon ribbon for the look
send you some other pics

Regards
Lagarto
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
elevator pics

here are the pic Nik
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Thanks for the pics, nice tail setup. I had tried using a launch peg on the wingtip on one glider I built and I didnt like it much, I kept hooking the launch causing the plane to fly off to the left. Since then I just grab the wingtip, no peg or anything. Works well enough it seems.

Do you know how much it weighs?

Nick
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Hello Nick, your welcome, you know yesterday I went to fly this glider and it goes to the left !!! apparently same thing that happend to you right? do you think its because this little lunch stick on the left win?
Now the total weight is 38 gr but Is to nose heave so I thing I will get off like about 3 gr, so the total weight will be like 35 gr, is that a good weight ? its a 55 cm wing span
I recorded a video yesterday with my cel itīs ouful quality but here it is, I will record a better one
DLG Micro 38 gr (0 min 15 sec)

Regards
Juan
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Nick what do you use for the mouving parts? I use litlle peaces of tape but I see that you have a diferent way? can you explain me please how you do it with the elevator and the rudder ?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:26 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
The peg adds a little weight to the tip of the wing as well as a small amount of drag, so they naturally will pull slightly left. Try laterally balancing the plane with a tiny weight on the right wing.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
mmmm ok Derk, thaks I could do that or just take it off and just grab it from the sing to lunch it right?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
I personally really like using a peg on my gliders, I feel like I'd get more consistent launching with it. Though it may be more stress on the wing with a peg because you can impart more rotational energy than straight gripping the tip. As such you need either plywood or fiberglass around it.