AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:02 PM
Division of Improvement
Tirol AUTRIA
Joined Apr 2008
143 Posts
Thanks Adam !!

You know that`s really funny -because i didn`t get the plans from ryan's i searched for other plans and finally found your thread -so i am already building your wunderful plan but also wanted to ask if meanwhile someone got the plans from ryan's ^^

so ,to make it short -i am already building on your plan since 2 days and know already finished one half of the wing=)

btw:- did you just shape the wing, and then glue it on the boom or do you also have any reinforcments(tape,cfk rod ,etc)?

I will add a cfk stab in both of the wings and then i will add rovings like ryan did and finally i will add some tape to the leading edge..

will add photos later on =)

regards
Markus
Markus A. is offline Find More Posts by Markus A.
Last edited by Markus A.; Jan 18, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
This micro DLG is based on the Quark by Adam Woodworth, i have simply modified it a bit so thank him for the concept.
Micro DLG Glider AR6400 21inch wing span (4 min 32 sec)
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
Last edited by littlephoenix; Nov 02, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:24 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
that looks like a cool kit, i'll post a link to the site: http://www.skyhighhobby.com/micro-d-...lg-glider.html
is the black on the wings carbon or just for color?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:33 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Very cool kit! look at those wings flex in the slow-mo! I think I'll have to order one!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:54 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Pretty slick looking. Bagging the wings or a simple coat of clear would help smooth out the airfoil surface - every little bit helps!

I've slowly been tinkering with a new 24" span HLG, got the wing and tail done, gotta find an appropriate boom and figure out how to stuff 4 servos, RX and lipo into a tiny fuse pod. Sticking the aileron/flap servos in the wings would be much easier, but I'd like to be able to swap different wings.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,591 Posts
Do you discus launch it ?
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:33 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Wow, Guys I have been looking at doing something like this for a long time and I just found this tread and now I am pumped. Can't wait to get started with one of these little HLGs. I have been doing FF HLG for a long time and Micro R/C version is just what I wanted. Keep up the great work. mirco_builder what thickness of balsa wood did you use for your wing?
mattconn24 is offline Find More Posts by mattconn24
Last edited by mattconn24; Nov 02, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:51 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Doh, went to hit the "Buy Now" button and it doesn't seem to be wired up to Paypal right. No luck.
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:42 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Has this thread been moved? I haven't seen it before. (It refers to "looking in the Micro and Indoor section...")

Very nice stuff, in any case. Some more info on the construction techniques used to build the Xelion would be welcome.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:12 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattconn24 View Post
Wow, Guys I have been looking at doing something like this for a long time and I just found this tread and now I am pumped. Can't wait to get started with one of these little HLGs. I have been doing FF HLG for a long time and Micro R/C version is just what I wanted. Keep up the great work. mirco_builder what thickness of balsa wood did you use for your wing?
I think it was only 1/8" balsa, so it didnt have a very thick airfoil. Guess that would be better for higher launches, but probably suffers a bit in lift. That is why I'll be going with flaps on this new one, high launches and good lift, best of both worlds (not to mention cool looking micro air brakes )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Has this thread been moved? I haven't seen it before. (It refers to "looking in the Micro and Indoor section...")

Very nice stuff, in any case. Some more info on the construction techniques used to build the Xelion would be welcome.
Nope, always been in this forum. Its already a 3 year old thread though, so it got pushed way back. Lots of good stuff though!

Nick
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:22 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post

Nope, always been in this forum. Its already a 3 year old thread though, so it got pushed way back. Lots of good stuff though!

Nick
I'm interested in the use of CF on very thin wings. I've seen some very usable wings cut out of Blucor, but they seem to be a bit...crunchy...without reinforcement. I've seen the helix pattern on larger gliders - I presume it improves torsional rigidity?
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:16 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
By helix do you mean the criss cross pattern? If so, then yeah its for extra rigidity with minimal weight gain - the inbetween of having none or little CF for lightweight and full carbon for strength. I'd like to give this stuff a try. Also wish I had the skills to make a molded wing...

Nick
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:20 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Also, I didn't see in the forum the technique that you used to make your nose pod. Do you have a link to a guide? I am buying some of the basic stuff tomarrow. I can't wait to get started. Also, how are you attaching the wing? with two small carbon rods attached to the wing and feed into a balsa block in the pod? If that is the case how are you securing the TE of the wing? Thanks in advance.
mattconn24 is offline Find More Posts by mattconn24
Last edited by mattconn24; Nov 03, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:48 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
I didnt take any pics or anything during the pod making. Pretty straight forward though, carved and sanded a balsa block into the size/shape I wanted, pushed it into some clay and let it harden over night.
Next day, popped out the balsa block from the clay, sprayed the clay mold with spray adhesive and laid down saran wrap material (could've also sealed the clay with paint, then used a mold release agent). Used spay adhesive on the balsa block and covered it too with saran wrap.
Mixed some 30 minute epoxy and spread it over the kevlar cloth, then laid the wetted cloth on the balsa plug. Used a paper towel to soak up excess epoxy from the kevlar, then inserted the balsa plug/wetted kevlar into the clay mold.
Clamped the balsa plug and clay mold together and let it cure over night, popped it out the next day, peeled back the saran wrap, and whamo, a nice little fuselage pod It did take me 3 tries to finally get it right, there's some trial and error in the amount of epoxy to use.

I did as you described for attaching the wing, two spars in the leading edge of the wing, inserted into hardened balsa in the fuselage pod. Trailing edge had a piece of CF glued down the root of the wing, sticking out past the trailing edge about an inch or so. Used a piece of heat shrink tubing to secure that CF to the boom. There's a picture of the setup here in post #52. It worked ok, but the harder I threw the plane, the less I trusted it. Ended up just gluing the wing down. Still have to figure out a way to make it nice and secure, but removable.

Nick