SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:35 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
Xelion weighted wing test, 4ch

Hey guys, Just posting a pic of the Xelion 4ch wing structure test,
it can support more than 6 pounds withought bending at all.
ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
wow thats a tuff little wing!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:20 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
Xelion with under camber and pylon

Hi Guys,
here is the new Xelion for todays experiments, it has a pylon mounted wing, for cleaner airflow, a stiffer wing than v2, a 1/16th of undercamber, less incidence, and a sandwhiched pod, meaning i layered the inside with fiberglass and carbon tow also.

let me know what you think,
i'm thinking about kitting the plane, is anyone interested?
ryan
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:04 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Looking good, Ryan. I think the HLG folks would like it, the Mosquito class seems to be getting more and more interest these days, and this is just a step smaller. Who wouldnt want a carry-it-anywhere glider to chuck in the parking lot while the wife is in shopping??

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:47 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
Hi Nick,
thanks, i agree, who wouldn't want that? i fly these out in front of my house all the time. I've finally gotten to the point after many prototypes that i am not blowing these apart on a full power launch, i reached this point last a week ago but the stronger they are the higiher they seem to go, i am thinking of adding a tow web to the bottom as well, i know this would make it stupid strong, i'm trying to decide if it needs it though, maybe i could use 5k tow instead of 8, it seems to work though.....anyways i built a new 4 channel wing because the last one was eaten away from the non foam safe zip kicker.....i was really mad but then decided just to get over it and make a new wing, and thank god i did, this new wing is amazingly stiff and it's 2 grams lighter per side, i used epoxy for everything instead of stupid foam safe ca, i hate foam safe, it never dries and the joint is very brittle because you have to spray a gallon of kicker on it to make it dry in a resonable amountof time, kind of defeats the purpose for me. i still have to put the carbon tow on so i assume it will be approx 2 grams lighter for the whole wing,

pics soon,
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Looking good, Ryan. I think the HLG folks would like it, the Mosquito class seems to be getting more and more interest these days, and this is just a step smaller. Who wouldnt want a carry-it-anywhere glider to chuck in the parking lot while the wife is in shopping??

Nick
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:21 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
HI guys,
finished the plane from the pics above, so far from the windy conditions i flew it in, proably 12-16 mph, it glides very well, penetration is a bit less, so is launch height, i will be taking both with me on vacation and comparing the two,
ryan
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
I hate foam safe CA too, its one of the reasons I dont work with foam too often (and balsa is prettier!). I got a pretty significant drop in launch heights with mine when I switched my first wing with a differant one that had much more airfoil. I think if you use flaps, you can get away with a much more thin airfoil and not drop the height. Have you tried a balsa wing?

Nick
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:37 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Wood has a lot of advantages. It is stiffer, doesn't crunch so badly, is easier to shape, smooth and fill. Your loss of height is from one of two things - either the wing is distorting and/or fluttering, causing excess drag, or the model is simply too light.

My pair of gliders are mid-30s and mid-40s grams, both the same size, and similar airfoils and finishes. The lighter one has 1/32" balsa skins over a spar and ribs, and the heavier has the same skins over a foam core; neither shows signs of flutter even in a high-speed dive. The heavier model climbs higher on a javelin launch and has about the same airtime as the lighter model. The lighter one is better able to work small, close-to-the-ground lift. They are so small, you might as well have two so you can match your conditions.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
New version

Heres my new larger version:

26" span with 3.5" chord at the center. Balsa built up wing covered with tissue. AUW 38.2g
If the weather cooperates I will hopefully maiden her today.
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:13 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Ryan, you mentioned kitting them...I'd definitely be interested. In fact, I'd be happy to be a beta tester as well I'm enjoying my sukhoi but I'm really a glider guider at heart.
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Looks great, forsakenrider, good luck with the maiden, let us know how it worked out

I agree Mike, balsa works great. I had tried one foam wing and it bent and fluttered terribly, although it wasnt very well reinforced. The balsa wings I've made, save for the first one, have all worked out very well, the first one was just too thin and fluttered during launch. Cant wait to get back home and start working on these again.

Nick
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
Ya I agree with Soarsimon i bet that if you kitted them it wold be a hit Im working on a vapor brick DLG at the moment I am having trouble getting materials because how far away my LHS is but I drew up an idea for a sliding wing it uses the motor like a servo (or a servo on the 6ch brick) and pushes a smaller wing wing out and when it gets as far out as it can neyodinium magnets hold it in place so once you get a high launch with the shorter one you extend the wing and float around. I think it's to hard to make but I will test a mockup of it
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:34 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
On the tail, do you recommend having a symmetrical, or semi-symmetrical airfoil?

I was thinking of using some sanding templates to try and get a little more lift by using the tail as a lifting surface.

But maybe that will jack up the C/G. I dunno.

Advice?
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:35 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
v2.0

After a relatively short but eventful life, my little SAL needed a bit of love. The lower pod half was beat up pretty bad, as were the tail feathers. The wing wasnt great either, so everything got rebuilt, only thing left from the first one is the upper pod half and the tail boom.

I ran the elevator pushrod directly through the stabilizer mount, which removed a lot of slop and let me put the control horn in line with the mount as well, cleaning up the airflow a bit. I also opted for a single aileron rather than a rudder, it could use a bit of tightening up, but it didnt flutter tonight, so it must not be that bad. Airfoil is AG45-ish, its not perfect, but the glider is pretty much silent, I could only hear it when passing just over head after a dive, and even then it was barely audible.

The video attatched is of the first few tentative tosses, camera is one of the keychain cameras - quality was better before Movie Maker and YouTube compressed it. The wind was calm below 30 feet, but above that there was some turbulance. Best flight time was around 27 seconds, not great, but not bad, I think it will actually perform better in some wind. I think I've got enough wiggle room in my wingloading (at current AUW of 25.6g, I'm at .59g/sq in) to use a How High altimeter, really curious to see how high it can actually go.

And now back to the MJet...

Nick

Micro SAL RC glider v2.0 maiden (2 min 31 sec)
Last edited by micro_builder; Nov 07, 2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: obligatory PZ Sukhoi picture added...
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:00 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Looks awesome! I will probably get mine back in the air now that Ive received new Blue Arrow 1S servos!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider