Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:45 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
DANGgggggggg...I was holding my breath as a read your report.........I almost passed out from lack of oxygen .....

I want to chain smoke just LOOKING at your plane sitting on the runway.....

Now that I've recovered ...whew ..........congratulations .............its been A LONG TIME comming since you first saw this plane like two years ago and dreamed of building it.

Al had me in the "maiden mood "with his second flight too. So I worked all day figuring out the batt . tray deal for my plane. I had to do some minor surgery on the fuse to locate my lipos where they need to be to balance this bird. I was short a bit of specfic plywood yet , but hope to buy some tomorrow and finish up the plane. If the weather holds , I may GO FOR IT at the end of the week myself. I should be about 15 lb and 6 ozes when I'm finished the batt installation. Hopefully my 9S will do the trick.

I suspect your plane may gain a bit of extra top end with the chin installed.

It seems I keep finding details / repairs or reglues as I ready my plane. So much to double check.
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Last edited by Coastwatcher; Dec 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:59 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
To my relief...nothing broke either after inspecting the plane. I was worried since CMP planes dont necessarily have a good reputation for quality. However, if you havent done so...on the little white plastic rings in the fuse where the wing metal rods go into the hold the front of the wing???? glue them in place as well as use the little 3 screws. One I took the wing off after the flight....one of the white rings came off and the screws fell out. I had even CA'd the screw holes. Its not a big deal, just extra insurance. I could have flown again without glueing them in place as they wouldnt be able to come out while the wing is bolted down.

It would be really nice to gain a little top end speed with the chin scoop on, but I also imagine the esc will get hotter as a lot less air would be rushing over it....maybe...maybe not sicne the chin scoop is directed right on to the esc. Im sure the chin scoop being in place will reduce the drag of the plane some for sure.

One thing to note.....you'll need to program in a little flap to elevator down mix. Wont need much at half flaps...maybe 5%. At full flaps, Id put in 8-9% to start with.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
I think Al mentioned too the ring/wing holddown area need attention too. My white rings had ALREADY fallen out about the time AL said something.

I epoxied the heck out of all that area . But , I mentioned in the last post , I had to cut out part flemsey wood pieces directly beneath the wing holes , so that my batteries could slide forward that extra three inchs under the chin area.

Part of tonights finishing touches , is to glue in a battery tray and maybe add a bit of ply framing around the area I removed the factory wood to shore it all up , where the batteries slide in.

Hope to get a pic . My CG should be about spot on . I chose to do the extra batt, tray mods to fuselage instead adding about 5-8 ozs of weight to the nose.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,228 Posts
Congrads Kahlog,

I used a 18X12 prop and my plane is 3lbs lighter than yours. Put the chin piece on, retract the gear, and with your 10S you will have the rocket ship fighter that I predicted you will have.

Without the chin piece there is a tremendous amout of draq, it's like a sail going flat against the wind.

Coastwatcher, don't rush anything, make sure it's right. It will land on your grass field perfectly, just watch the trees because your 109 will fly fast and far before you know it. It looks big, but, with all 4 of those flaps down approx. 45 degrees it will land slow. Watch the nose over tendency with grass, but, I'm sure you already thought of that.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jan 02, 2009, 06:01 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Well....I have come to the conclusion that the Williams Brothers tires are great for looks, but they dont carry weight well. On the first flight, the right side rubber came off of the rim on landing.
After having tried to glue the rubber tire on to the rim itself, on the 2nd flight attempt(which was today), that same tire came off the rim again before the plane even got close to enough speed for take off. Once the rubber slipped off, the plane veered hard to the side and went off the runway...abruptly stopp and nosing over some once the wheels touched grass. Ths resulted in a prop strike reducing the 18x12 APC e prop to something like a 17x12 now.
Granted, this pair of wheels was originally installed on my KMP Me-109, but that plane has only had 2 landings with those tires eqipped.
I will be looking for something else now.
I think the Williams brothers tires would be ok on a lighter version...say like 13-14 pounds...but not 17+
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:10 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Despite the tire issue , I'm sure you'll have continued sucesses.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,228 Posts
What would the Germans do in a situation like this? Mission missed because of cheezy wheels? Man, after watching so many war movies, I can hear the screaming in my ears from the commanding officer, then silence until a shot rang out.

No thanks, not me, I use fat wheels. If I get shot I'd rather it be because I was fooling with the commander's wife....and even in that case...the commnader would probably thank me instead of shooting me. Planes flying are much more important than wives....so we think.

Happy New Year to all.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,228 Posts
Kahlog,

To be completely honest with you, both of my plastic main wheel hubs broke when I skidded the 109 sideways in the video and I replaced them with Robart scale wheels with two piece hubs.

So, other than to have me razz you about the skinny wheels, I'm sure the commander understands the situation. Field repairs were very common during the war, simply change out the wheels and fly again. LOL

Al
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:29 AM
Chevy Head
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2004
783 Posts
Any more flights??
Crackajack is offline Find More Posts by Crackajack
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:23 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
I am planning to fly this weekend. Everything is together, I just have to balance and double check everything. I built a Kyosho Spitfire 50E and a Great planes Stick (with glow motor) since I moved and now it's the ME109s turn.

It's pencilled in for Sat morning.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:18 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackajack
Any more flights??
We 're having bit global warming mate.

Snowed yesterday.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E. Johnson
I am planning to fly this weekend. Everything is together, I just have to balance and double check everything. I built a Kyosho Spitfire 50E and a Great planes Stick (with glow motor) since I moved and now it's the ME109s turn.

It's pencilled in for Sat morning.

Best wishes . Don't forget the video camera
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher
Best wishes . Don't forget the video camera
Thanks, Wouldn't dream of flying without it!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:48 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
I spent most of the night chasing air leaks tonight. Finally I got sick of that and just poured thin CA in the leaking joins. A shot of accelerator later and no more leaks.

My Undercarriage sticks when it needs to come down sometimes. I finally figured out it is because I set everything up with the wheels and retaining collets off and the once the wheels are on they put pressure against the upper wing skin on the strut which makes it hard to unlock to extend. I will just sand the wheel profiles a bit, they are too fat anyway. If all else fails I will not retract for the first flight.

The centre of gravity came out at 118-120mm ish. Within limits so no problems there.

All thats left is to rig the travel throws, lock all the control horns and make sure it all works before flying. I am going to run through a battery in the back yard first to make sure nothing shakes loose, shorts out etc... Too much effort in this one to leave anything to chance. Plus I never got around to giving the cockpit a latch, so sticky tape on that for the first flight I think.

I set the rudder up with a pull-pull system. Love it so far! Elevator was a pain so ran twin pushrods to that.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:17 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,228 Posts
Regarding sticky landing gear. I had the same problem, used WD-40 and the gear works fine. Sometimes a piece of wood or dirt gets in there and ya can't see it.

Good luck on the maiden.

Al