HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
help please

HI guys. My motor arrived today but it is not what I ordered. I ordered this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4188

but I got a Tunigy instead. The specs are the same - 6364 230KV.

Should I be upset by this? I can't find the Turnigy on the UH website.

I am a bit pissed off but I don't know enough about these motors.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Last edited by J.E. Johnson; Jul 28, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:10 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
JE,

I believe that these are the same as Turnigy. I suspect that Hobby City actually owns Turnigy and the name Turnigy is their name.

Anyhow, these are the motors that I have been using for years. Before mounting the motor in the plane, make a test stand and setup the motor with the ESC and batteries that you plan to put in the plane. Run the motor first thing in the morning when it's cool and check it out with a amp/watt meter.

How to make a test stand. Items needed.

A vice that can swivel
3" X 1" two foot long board
A drill bit the size of some bolts and blind nuts that are laying around.
A drill bit to drill a hole large enough to allow the motor shaft and rear bushing to spin without rubbing.

Mark the holes from your motor's radial mount. Drill the holes, including the center hole. Screw the radial mount onto the motor. Using the bolts, set the blind nuts. Screw the motor to the board, using the blind nuts. Stick the board into the vice. Attach the prop, then setup the ESC, amp meter, batteries, and receiver. Run the motor and check it out.

One other thing...After running the motor you will need to spend 1/2 hour to 1 hr cleaning up the mess in the garage, papers everywhere, stuff blown off the shelves, junk blowing around like a hurricane.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:55 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Thanks mate. I did some research and think you are right with the brand. I wish they would put a picture of what you actually buying though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
JE,
One other thing...After running the motor you will need to spend 1/2 hour to 1 hr cleaning up the mess in the garage, papers everywhere, stuff blown off the shelves, junk blowing around like a hurricane.
Al
Love your description of cleaning the shed up afterwards...

I have to buy a prop, a speed control and batteries before that happens. I bought the motor first because it is cheap and I can play with idea on fitment. So where do I buy a big prop? I have read some good reviews of people using this motor with an 18"
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:45 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
The test

Okay so I got home and had a look at fitment.

First off, in answer to a previous question the front face of the engine bay is set for 2 deg right and 2 degree down thrust. So all we have to do is mount square to this face.

It is going to be quite easy.

Idea one which I first said is to mount the motor on four bolts coming forward from the rear cross mount. If I do this I don't have to cut the front face at all, there is plent of room for the prop adaptor to come through and I can use 25mm of space in the adaptor for prop and spinner. The spinner is 7mm thick at this point so lets say 18mm for the prop. If necessary up to 5mm can be obtained by using a 1/2 thickness nut for the first nut and then the locknut as normal.

Idea 2 is to mount directly onto the front firewall. This gives 18mm of shaft to attach the adaptor to. This would be easier in a lot of ways however I still want to stick with idea 1 because then I can use the adaptor that came with the motor. What thickness are the props you guys are thinking of using????

Also what do you think of the bag my girlfriend made for the fuz? I got sick of packing it away in the protective bag everytime I looked at it. I will get her to make wing bags next.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:00 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,889 Posts
Mounting it your first way would surely be cooler for the motor. Of course it would be much simpler to mount it directly to the forward firewall and drill holes where the openings on the motor are.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:41 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E. Johnson
HI guys. My motor arrived today but it is not what I ordered. I ordered this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4188

but I got a Tunigy instead. The specs are the same - 6364 230KV.

Should I be upset by this? I can't find the Turnigy on the UH website.

I am a bit pissed off but I don't know enough about these motors.
Thats the same motor I have...the turnigy 6364 230kv. Nah..dont be mad. HXT and Turnigy are basically the same. The pic that hobbycity shows is just old. Both times Ive ordered a larger outrunner from them it was an HXT listed on the website, but both came in branded as turnigy.

Now, for the motor mount, just so others know as well....it came from Hobby-lobby.com
However, since its an atlas, Im sure it can be found overseas as well.
The motor mount can be found at :
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/motor-mount.htm

You'll want the bigger one.....
AMM500 Atlas Mount for .60-1.20 Size OUTRUNNER Brushless Motors ..... $ 22.5
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
JEJ ,

Thanks for the pics , very helpful , The part of the wood you marked off to cut out was how I envisioned my mounting too .

This is going to kill you , having that plane around and not getting to fly it soon. I would go quite mad .

I like the pilot you got, I have purchased a H9 's version German pilot too . I have to have a pilot.

Freddie
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
I would not make my own firewall. My motor is being mounted to the existing firewall, with the appropriate length of spacers to get the prop. washer in front of the hole in the nose piece.

The only problem I see is painting a pilot and his uniform...my pilot is going to be one color. LOL
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Al......maybe I'll paint a pilot for you .

If you behave yourself
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
Please, please, I'll be good, I promise. From now on. No drinking and posting. Not even on Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. (that is, if I can help it)

I won't rag on anyone, I won't make fun of foamies, or blast any US distributor for dropping the ball on marketing new products or selling us crap at high prices.

I'll even sell you stuff at a bargain price. Well, maybe not that, but, I'll be good in other ways.

Al
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jul 28, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:44 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Sick
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:49 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
Please, please, I'll be good, I promise. From now on. No drinking and posting. Not even on Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. (that is, if I can help it)

I won't rag on anyone, I won't make fun of foamies, or blast any US distributor for dropping the ball on marketing new products or selling us crap at high prices.

I'll even sell you stuff at a bargain price. Well, maybe not that, but, I'll be good in other ways.

Al
Al
We all know better than that, IMPOSSIBLE.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:34 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Not sure if anyone needs batteries, but hobbycity just got a bunch of lipos in stock. I picked up some 4800mah 5s zippy-R lipos for $99 each. Got 4 of them, so I could get 2 flights at the field per day....ie 2x 10s 4800mah setup

Now I need a charger then can do 5s lipos LOL
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:45 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq

Now I need a charger then can do 5s lipos LOL
Can you say the FMA cellpro 10s it will charged both 5 cell Lipo's at the same time. I love mine..

Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:06 AM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Yea .........i'm pondering this too. I need more charging capacity, the old TP1010C is getting long in the tooth. I've been on the edge of getting a Hyperion DUO 610i charger myself.