HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:22 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher
Oh Steve., DUDE!! never fear, you'll LOVE it !!! LOL , it won't be a feather weight. true...but it still will be light years away from those things RC guys flew in the 60-70-80 's , they were tanks . .......it will be no worst than my KMP 109. Which flys nice . Matter of fact it will probally have at least the sq wing area and should be 1-3 lbs lighter than the KMP . Landing speed is approx. 15 mph with flaps down , the KMP cruises about est 35-50 very nice , I'm TOO CHICKEN to test the all out speed .

With a ME 109 if it stays true to form will have a TOUCHY CG placement. No horseshoes and handgranades here. The KMP has a fine line between sweet and crash city.

Boy this is going be FUN FUN FUN ( oh yea).............. this one should be a sporting challenge
No worries, I have the thing on order from nitroplanes (couldn't resist the free shipping). I may not get to it for a few months, but it will fly!

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Last edited by steve1814; Jul 23, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,203 Posts
Ya know, this 109 is a German design, right? It was originally built in Germany, right? It was the pride of the German airforce, right? You scale guys want to stick with the scale design, right?

How ya gonna do that with a China motor?

I think Hacker is German, I'm using Hacker......Now, whose the real scale guy? If ya look under the hood, it even will have the original German battery (it's gonna be a China battery painted to look like a German battery) Is Bosch German? I forgot.

Just funnin with ya super scale guys.

Al
SCALEFAN is online now Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:28 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
Ya know, this 109 is a German design, right? It was originally built in Germany, right? It was the pride of the German airforce, right? You scale guys want to stick with the scale design, right?

How ya gonna do that with a China motor?

I think Hacker is German, I'm using Hacker......Now, whose the real scale guy? If ya look under the hood, it even will have the original German battery (it's gonna be a China battery painted to look like a German battery) Is Bosch German? I forgot.

Just funnin with ya super scale guys.

Al
Al, I figure I'm keeping to "scale" by putting a Chinese Motor in a Chinese plane ... Now if it was a Grauper model

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,203 Posts
Steve,

Good point.

Al
Old Jul 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
J.E., got any updates for us? I'm dying to know how the motor install is going.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jul 25, 2008, 04:25 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
More then likely, it will be one of us that will get started on the plane ahead of J.E. as I believe he said he has to wait till after XMas because of a planned house move.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:39 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
583 Posts
I'm still here

Hi Guys,

I have been away at the snow this last week. I got back yesterday but Dad is over and I haven't had a chance to check in. I love your ideas re motor fitment. I have ordered mine now and United Hobbies say that it has been sent.

I will be definitely attaching it to the front ply and reinforcing if necessary but I really think the structure that is currently in place will suffice.

Coastwatcher asked for some pics from the front to show where cooling air could come in. Don't forget as well that a large oil cooler has yet to be fitted on the side and lot of air can be routed in there as well.

I will be using the exhaust stubs as functional air outlets and I have a couple of other ideas if necessary.

Kahloq is right, I can't fly until next year and I can't do anything that will stop me from packing the model back into it's original box. I am hoping to have all the electrics and servos installed though before the move. The fact that I can't actually finish until next year though will mean that I will be proceeding fairly slowly.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:52 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Many here in the USA dont usually equate snow with Australia. Often, we just forget the seasons are backwards down under relative to us.
Very nice view.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:39 AM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Is it Retract Ready? JP
Yardbee is offline Find More Posts by Yardbee
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:04 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Scoops

JE johnson,

Thanks for posting the front of the plane......big cross section for sure.

Ah yes ....the smaller two scoops you are pointing to on the model are " OIL COOLER SCOOPS" on the real Bf109 . So, yes , it would be scale to cut them open , and I'm sure every little bit of air will help .

I'm thinking of mounting by ESC in the direct air flow /draft of the rectangular CHIN SCOOP . So that air comes in theis scoop passes around the ESC and exits out the rear back wall though some holes I open up .

At the reaf of the fuse, about 12" from the end, I'll cut an air exit slot or slots and maybe make a rounded hood to cover this 3-4" long slot.
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:06 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
I think AL gunkin should go to MT Buller
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:02 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbee
Is it Retract Ready? JP
Yes it is but I'm not sure which ones will be best to use yet. I'm thinking shindin but have n't gotten too worried about that yet.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,203 Posts
If any of the Centrury Jet retracts, in stock at Tower, will fit, I'm going with them. They are a top quality retract.

Coastwatcher,

Just want you to know that you are not the first person to suggest that I go to Mt. Buller. All suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,222 Posts
That CMP Me looks pretty decent......

Quote:

The biggest problem regarding the conversion to electric, is the length of the motor shaft or adaptor shaft on the electric motor. Electric motors have short shafts and the adaptors have short shafts. So, it doesn't matter which way the motor is facing. The short shaft is suited to E-Props, but, it is difficult to get a larger size prop on these shafts, along with a spinner. There are no threads left for the prop bolt and washer. This is not the problem with Nitro motors.

Going back to Al's comments on the prop adapter issues:....Hyperion has some nice extra long prop adapters in several sizes, with the end of the adapter threaded for the spinner screw. These really help with using spinners and with the thicker glow type or scale type props. Aircraft World and other places stock them.

Does not help with all of the short shaft issues on the larger motors, but does help some.

I wish they made some "bolt on to the can" type prop adapters with a extended prop face. This would help with getting the prop face further away from the motor can, and the fit in the cowl of in-line aircraft and the fit in fake radial motor faces would be more like a glow motor, with the crankcase putting the prop face out a ways in front of the motor mount. I am not a big fan of the collet types on 4120 class motors and larger...much prefer the type that bolts onto the can.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jul 27, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
583 Posts
Quote:
If any of the Centrury Jet retracts, in stock at Tower, will fit, I'm going with them. They are a top quality retract.

Coastwatcher,

Just want you to know that you are not the first person to suggest that I go to Mt. Buller. All suggestions are appreciated.
Do you have any specs on the retracts? I would be very happy to measure to see if they fit.