HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:25 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Chris........good to hear you've almost finished the KMP's

Depends on if you build it glow or elecrtic? Its design is a bit different than what I'm used to converting or even seen converted. Off hand.... I would have liked the wings to have been fully sheeted under the covering and the glass to have been Epox y resin varity . A more scale gear placement and better decals on the wings would have been nice. But I can work around or improve on most minor issues. Gee those tiny wheels drive me nuts though....what were they thinking? .. not as heavy duty fuse and covering as our KMP. But then its a bunch cheaper.
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:28 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I presumed the wings were sheeted. Not the case?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:46 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Good news/bad news

I got the replacement fuse today.
Good news is the wing saddle and everything up front is solid.
Bad news is, there is some paint cracks right around where the vertical stablizer meets the fuse and extend down the fuse towards the bottom(underside) of the fuse somewhat. Its not horrible and it seems only cosmetic, but it is noticeable. I checked around this area it doesnt seem like the fiberglass itself is cracked any....so...its useable, I'll just have to do something to cover up the superficial cracks in the paint. At the very least though, I will add one layer of 3/4oz cloth with WBPU or wood glue on the inside of the fuse at this area just to be absolutely sure.
So, yes i can get started on the plane, but its gonna require a bit more work then i had anticipated because of that flaw.
It looks like someone actually kicked the UPS box as there was a rip/indentation on the one side of the package where the rudder end of the fuse was. It probably got compressed just slighty from that impact and thats what cracked the paint. I frackin hate UPS. Bastards.
Nitroplanes did pack the fuse with a decent amount of foam peanuts, but there wasnt much room from the rudder to the box end so someone kicking it would have easily put pressure on the tail. I think Nitro could have used a longer box to protect it better from such instances, but this is also an issue with the manufacturing. The paint is pretty thick repsumably due to the type of fiberglass used, whereas the KMP fiberglass is kinda thin, but its alot stronger and so the paint doesnt need to be that thick either.
For $300 though, its not bad. I now can understand better why KMP's are more expensive.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:21 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Well if the fuse shape is scale enough and the wings have issues then its not a stretch to make new wings with all the right features and then make them composite. That would be an awesome upgrade and worth the work if the outline of the fuse is pretty right. Anyone have one of those nifty line drawings with the side on photo of the model to compare in a transparent layer?? From there a redo of the nose area and you have any variant after the F model you pretty much want.

Looking at it the left side nose detail of the 2 inlets suggests an early G model but the little triangle window below the gunsight says F model. So the best guess is an early G model if you paint out the window.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Last edited by Chris Nicastro; Aug 18, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:55 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Which one is it?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:12 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
It looks to be a mixture of both the F and early G variants. FOr example, it's got the fuel doors of both the F (round located under the left cockpit window) and the G (oval located along the left spine) But only the early G variants had the dimples for the tropical umbrella used to keep the cockpit cool when stationary.

Here's my favorite tropical scheme.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:20 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Kahlog,

At this point I don't think it's UPS carelessness. I suspect, that for some reason the UPS people don't like the shipping people at NItro. They must kick and mistreat every box that comes out of there. You know me, I get lots of stuff shipped in by UPS, never had a damaged box except from Nitro. Nitro's box had a area that looked like it could have been kicked by a guy with size 10 boot, penetrated the first box but left untouched the 109 box.

So I have three suggestions.

1. For UPS...investigate the situation and see who at Nitro's shipping department insulted or yelled swear words at the UPS driver and created the problem.

2. For Nitro...investigate who in China is so pissed off at the US that they are kicking each box before it gets put into the container.

3. For Kahlog... you are sounding like Scalefan, with all his bitching, just make the plane, and get it ready for the big show. NO production airplane is perfect, especially WWII era, so just pretend that the paint defect was caused by a field repair of the plane and a quick patch was applied and painted. Draw some rivet marks on the patch and everyone will think it was a perfect replica of the real encheleda.

Take it from a guy that knows field repairs...WWII aircraft mechanics were not brain surgeons, they didn't read diagnostic instruments, and they don't run dyno reports, they also were not premium painters, they just butchered those birds in the field and made them fly. LOL

That, to me, is scale....not some copy of a wealthy collector's showpiece warbird. Kahlog, the real things were greasy, dirty, patched, oil dripping monsters. Make one of those and you will win the scale contest static display.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:06 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I was not bitching about the problem, but merely describing what I received. Its better then the original fuse I got and as I stated, this one is useable. I also said i'd put some form of weathering on it or whatever to cover up the flaw.
Your idea of a patch....well..I've done that before on a H9 Spitfire. Looked ok, but never could get the paint to look right next to the shiny covering(even with dullcoat). Anyways, I'll figure something out and like the KMP ME-109, I'll put some weathering and oil stains on it to make it look used.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:09 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Engine Mount design

I feel a bit stupid that I didn't think of this earlier....

I made an engine mount today based on the Atlas one Kahloq had from Tower Hobbies. I was fitting it in tonight and trying to decide how I would tighten up all the associated bits when it occurred to me, just rotate the front mount section 90 degrees and it will mount on the horizontal mounting plate that CMP intended the motor to mount on!

The mount now needs some material trimmed off but the pictures should show what I mean.

I also drilled my props out to 12mm to suit the motor. I only have occasional workshop access and it is soooo good when I do.

I have covered the spinner in plaster of paris to make a female mould in order to then make a male mould which I can make vac formed copies of. The plan is to make some lightweight spinners which will be less likely to give balance issues, can be cut to suit any prop and which I won't get distraught over if I damage.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck you guys have had in the post.. If it helps, Australiai post are just as bad. I ordered an Alfa Spitfire once that had been squashed almost flat like some fat wharfie had used it for his lunch seat and had what looked like forklift marks tearing the side of the box.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:44 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Great idea LE, thanks for sharing it.

Any welding required, or does your motor mount bracket just bolt together?

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
It arrived today in great shape, relief! Nice finish and stuff, I'll look closer later tonight and compare to the KMP 109E and Spit. Strange the paint job does not match from fuse to wings but the hor/stab does??

I'm planning on a Hartman tulip nose paint job so all these pretty water transfer decals will go away. I'm working on making a set to replace these with a friend of mine who is a graphic artist so if there is enough interest he just might sell the same sets for you guys. Let me know. I'll have to figure out how to print the decals onto a larger water transfer sheet or just make more smaller sheets.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:07 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
CHris ......are you building it ELECTRIC or glow ((boooo-hiss) ???????????

FESS-Up dude
Last edited by Coastwatcher; Aug 19, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:29 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
Great idea LE, thanks for sharing it.

Any welding required, or does your motor mount bracket just bolt together?

Al
No welding, It is all aircraft grade aluminium. I will bolt it together with small bolts and nylocs.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher
CHris ......are you building it ELECTRIC or glow ((boooo-hiss) ???????????

FESS-Up dude
Thats a tough one...I'm unsure still. I have the KMP 109 E(lectric) so having two 109's electric is kind of weird. I've always wanted a gas plane actually but the darn engines are so huge it would all hang out the front! So I'm undecided still. Yeah dont care for nitro too much even though I still fly them as well. Sooo...Gas or Electric?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
You need to fly your KMP and see how cool it is .......Heck .....I would n't mind having a squadron on ME109 's in Electric. Just fly that KMP and you'll see what the right team is.