SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:57 AM
Joined Jul 2008
10 Posts
Discussion
8th and 9th solo on my Nexstar

Wow I fell like a kid again 54 going on 16. I did the separate Aileron Servo mod
And Removed the speed brakes, I also did the Flaps mod and installed a 2300mAh NiMh as well as a new power switch with the charger inlet built in. I replaced the 4-channel receiver with a 127 Futaba so I could use it with the 7C I picked up. I remembered reading here about shimming the engine so I did that as well and sense the field I fly from is grass I changed the wheels to 3 1/2 inch ones. It looks like a bush plane from Alaska!.
Ok into the air, I had set all the low rates to factory and added high rates but didn't use them this first flight. Fired her up taxied to the field and away she went. WOW!!!! Straight down the field with no pull to the right at all lifted clean and the aileron response is completely different. So smooth and responsive.
The only trim I had to adjust was the elevator to a bit of up. The rest I had set back to neutral when I did the mods. She flew GREAT. Now to test the flaps I gained some alt slowed down and rolled in the flaps ( I have her set for a max of 30% ) and it was perfect she just floated and floated and floated. So I went around a few times to make sure all was well and
Deployed the flaps and she landed light as a feather. I was so Jassed!!!!!, next flight went
Just as good and I did several touch and Go’s. It will land fine without the Flaps but much faster ,besides it was fun putting them in and That’s what it’s about. , Next mod the the
Wing dihedral mod and removing the droops. Man this is fun.
Thanks for all the great advice.!!!!!!
Jav
Jav409 is offline Find More Posts by Jav409
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:52 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,685 Posts
You actually did the mod to cut the ailerons? I've found after flying close to a half dozen NextStars that they need all the aileron they can get when flying in winds over 12 mph. Here's some pictures of mine when I did my flapperon mod. I wanted all the aileron I could get since I was using it to train other students and still be able to get it out of trouble.

I've never had any tip-stall issues with the flapperons on the NextStar, and tried everything I could to snap roll or spin, and couldn't do either. At best it made a big spiral that was very easy to recover from.

The pictures show it with full and half, or take-off flapperons. I also found flying it with the flapperons deflected about 3/16 inch makes the plane fly a lot different and makes it a better trainer for learning approaches. I'm in the process of making the same mods to my Alpha 60.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
10 Posts
I Didn't have any problems with turning at all. It was only blowing 7-10 and would lay down once in a while, and was blowing right down the runway (Field).
At full rate ( a bit over 30% ) the thing will roll right over at about half throw. I dont know about other Nexstars just the one I have. And Im still learning

BTW Hogflyer I was born in Wichita Kansas, small world isn't it
Jav409 is offline Find More Posts by Jav409
Last edited by Jav409; Jul 20, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:19 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav409
small world isn't it
Nah ... Americans just do not hang around in one place long ....

And I have professionally visited that place many times (ga companies), which still does not make our world small ....
BTW, do you still need to buy a membership there to order a drink ?
Was a long time ago I was there.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoruwet
BTW, do you still need to buy a membership there to order a drink ?
Was a long time ago I was there.
Nope. Somebody finally figured out they’ll make more tax money selling it by the glass and changed that ridiculous rule. Amazing what greed does for politicians when they find out how to get more revenue out of us.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Nope. Somebody finally figured out they’ll make more tax money selling it by the glass and changed that ridiculous rule. Amazing what greed does for politicians when they find out how to get more revenue out of us.

Hogflyer
Hmmm .... I am Utah now, and guess what is on the books here to be changed .... ??
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav409
Next mod the Wing dihedral mod.......
Where can you find info on this? I saw it once on the net, but have never been able to find it again. (I was beginning to thing I had seen it for a different plane).
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat