HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:45 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx
dundamnitpete, sorry about your loss. I had one myself today. I've flown my easystar FPV 4 times previous to today, and launched the plane into the wind, turned around and got it stable. I grabbed my glasses, put them on, and there was nothing but a whiteout. Confused, I ripped the glasses off, just to spot the plane upside down, heading STRAIGHT into the ground.

I got to the plane, and found it literally sticking out of the ground, tail in the air, nothing holding it there, except the nose burried 4" into the soft dirt. Nose is split in 6 places, but amazingly no other damage. The gorilla glue is currently drying, with splints clamped on either side to attempt to straighten. I presumed it to be a total loss, but my lipos are still ok, motor, cam, tx are ok aswell. I will be more careful next time!!!

The great thing about this hobby is, for the most part, you never make the same judgeemt error twice.

sounds like today just just a bad day overall for FPV

good thing all yor equipment is ok
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw21
Nice one. Reminds me of my second FPV flight. All 15 seconds of it. Crash caused by low voltage cutoff due to using a Lipo that wouldn't give enough amps for the heavier setup with onboard cam and downlink.

Wild Hawk crash (onboard camera) (0 min 17 sec)
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:47 AM
Dizi
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined Jun 2008
1,485 Posts
i dont understand heavy setup cam and Tx
cam and Tx pull no more 500-1000mah!!!!!!
Funjet2008 is offline Find More Posts by Funjet2008
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
I meant heavy weight. My video tx is 4 oz. and my camera is 4 oz. To produce the extra thrust to pull this extra weight, the motor was probably trying to draw more amps than the lipo could give.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
Dizi
Joined Jun 2008
1,485 Posts
ok i understand.....
i have good news for you..
I use mini brushless for my Easyglider with APC 8x4 and i pull only 10 amp with FULL FPV (dragon, osd, gps, tx 500mw, cam, etc.........

My Cub (92" wingspan) ***7 kilo*** pull only 29 amp with other brushless with APC 15 x 8

you need to select the best brushless for your plane.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Which mini brushless are you using? 10 amps would be sweet.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:05 AM
Dizi
Joined Jun 2008
1,485 Posts
this one... the best for easystar and easyglider.. with 7 x 4 or 8 x 3

not much power but very little consumption.. 10 amp full trottle

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:21 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,117 Posts
Darth,

That was really nice video right up to the crash, what did you use to record it ??? The transmitter looks big, there are much smaller ones available that would be lighter. I also get rid of all the connectors, and solder wires, its more reliable and lighter. Dont give up on FPV, once you get your setup working, and if you have skills, its very rare to have a crash. I went 2 years flying FPV a lot with no crashes, I am sure VR FLyer and others get similar results. Most people at the RC field fly several 10 or 15 minute flights, less than an hour in the air all day. I saw 4 or 5 " Normal RC " crashes at the field yesterday, which is typical for a Sunday ... I flew my plane in the air a total of 3 hours, no problems.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:38 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
I meant heavy weight. My video tx is 4 oz. and my camera is 4 oz. To produce the extra thrust to pull this extra weight, the motor was probably trying to draw more amps than the lipo could give.
The motor current doesn´t bother about the plane weight. If it´s heavy you´ll need to keep the throttle higher to fly, but the current at WOT will be the same if it weights 10oz that if it´s 30oz

There are lots of threads recommending setups for FPV easy stars, use the search for more details, but you´ll need a motor around 1500kv 15A to 2500kv 30A depending on how much power do you want. Obviously the battery have to be of enough capacity and C´s for the motor/prop you´re going to use, wich seems the part that failed in your setup...
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
That was really nice video right up to the crash, what did you use to record it ??? The transmitter looks big, there are much smaller ones available that would be lighter. I also get rid of all the connectors, and solder wires, its more reliable and lighter.
I was recording with an onboard Pentax Optio s5z. Picked it up on eBay a couple months back for $55 bucks. It has A/V out which I tap into to send to the tx. You're right about the tx being big (and it weighs 4 oz.) and all the extra weight with the connectors and such. I'm thinking about getting a Range Video 900mHz 500mw setup, in part because it's lighter but also because my current downlink, which is 2.4Ghz, is interfering with my Spektrum.