HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Discussion
my first FPV flight=first FPV crash, and first lipo gone.

so i've been getting an FPV plane together recently, for pretty cheap. The plane was one i bought a few years ago when i first got into RC, it was like a trainer without ailerons. I bought some foam, and made some foam ailerons for it, powered it with a park 450 and a 25 amp CC speed control, and used two standard servos for the elevator and rudder, and one "e-sky" servo for the ailerons.

my video equiptment was a range video 900mhz, 500mw TX, a LCD display video receiver (bought from VRflyer), and a $12 Cmos camera from dealextreme.com. total cost around $120 (pretty cheap i'd say)

So i took my first FPV flight. at first all was going well, i had my brother be my spotter. The veiw was awesome, i was having a blast. Then i started getting little glitches. After a few i thought i'd bring the plane it, but just as i started coming home the plane began glitching BAD.

the servos seemed to be moving like CRAZY, and then i lost control, and it spiraled into the ground.

the result? one $40 25C loong max lipo puffed and Black. There was smoke rising from the plane so i figure it must have gone.

airframe is totaled, the camera and TX seem ok but i haven't tested them yet.

I've got a homebuilt aircraft i've been flying recently that i'm gonna use for FPV next, after buying a replacement battery.

I'd say FPV is fun, but i'm pretty bummed about losing a plane and lipo (although i've always wondered what burnt fun... i mean lipo, smells like.)

gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
I'd bet that smelled kind of sweet.

Seriously though, I had my first fpv flight last week and my second yesterday. But it's not like I just bought some stuff, threw it on the plane and went gung ho about it. I started planning for this 7 or 8 months ago even before I got the sr. telemaster. This included researching which servos would be stable with a high power transmitter next to them, which frequencies I wanted to use and which rc radio to use that had the best range both stock and/or modified. I poured over all the posted videos here, on youtube, and on vimeo trying to get a feel for which systems had the best quality. Then I used google earth to my advantage to gain familiarity about the area I was flying in identifying landmarks so I could navigate back home.

Even after all this, it was still a big rush the first time I did it. Now comes the tweaking to get it better.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle Harper
I'd bet that smelled kind of sweet.

Seriously though, I had my first fpv flight last week and my second yesterday. But it's not like I just bought some stuff, threw it on the plane and went gung ho about it. I started planning for this 7 or 8 months ago even before I got the sr. telemaster. This included researching which servos would be stable with a high power transmitter next to them, which frequencies I wanted to use and which rc radio to use that had the best range both stock and/or modified. I poured over all the posted videos here, on youtube, and on vimeo trying to get a feel for which systems had the best quality. Then I used google earth to my advantage to gain familiarity about the area I was flying in identifying landmarks so I could navigate back home.

Even after all this, it was still a big rush the first time I did it. Now comes the tweaking to get it better.

don't get me wrong, i did my research and tested everything. i guess sometimes things go wrong.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
musicians can fly?
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
Indeed they do. And likely it won't be the last time. Sorry it was on your first flight though. Now...to the important part... Did you get video?

-ross
wyldryce is offline Find More Posts by wyldryce
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete
don't get me wrong, i did my research and tested everything. i guess sometimes things go wrong.
Sorry about the loss, best thing is to put it all behind you and start over. Just a little curious though, were you flying further away than you otherwise would have?
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:10 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. But I'm glad to hear that you're already making plans for your next FPV flight. I was looking at that range video 500 mw tx just yesterday and was thinking of getting it when they come back in stock.

I'm interested in that $12 cmos camera from dealextreme. I just searched for it under digital cameras, but they must have it buried in some other category. If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind posting a link to it?
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Hey don't worry, I still crash most of my FPV flights
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA
Hey don't worry, I still crash most of my FPV flights
And I forgot to mention that of the three FPV flights that I've done, I've crashed twice.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
wyldryce, sorry, no video would have been awesome tho, spiraling in

carl, no, i was accautly coming in for a landing, according to google maps i was between 200-400 feet away when it came down.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:17 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
Sorry to hear about your crash. But I'm glad to hear that you're already making plans for your next FPV flight. I was looking at that range video 500 mw tx just yesterday and was thinking of getting it when they come back in stock.

I'm interested in that $12 cmos camera from dealextreme. I just searched for it under digital cameras, but they must have it buried in some other category. If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind posting a link to it?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6019

it works pretty good. when the sun shines directly at it, the sun turns into a black dot, and it can be a bit hard to see darker areas. it doesn't flare red tho, as i've seen others do. I'd say it's a steal for $12.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Thanks for the link!
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
Sarnia Ont. Canada
Joined Jul 2005
325 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1851445
you mean like this
mdw21 is offline Find More Posts by mdw21
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
Thanks for the link!
your welcome.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:42 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,116 Posts
dundamnitpete, sorry about your loss. I had one myself today. I've flown my easystar FPV 4 times previous to today, and launched the plane into the wind, turned around and got it stable. I grabbed my glasses, put them on, and there was nothing but a whiteout. Confused, I ripped the glasses off, just to spot the plane upside down, heading STRAIGHT into the ground.

I got to the plane, and found it literally sticking out of the ground, tail in the air, nothing holding it there, except the nose burried 4" into the soft dirt. Nose is split in 6 places, but amazingly no other damage. The gorilla glue is currently drying, with splints clamped on either side to attempt to straighten. I presumed it to be a total loss, but my lipos are still ok, motor, cam, tx are ok aswell. I will be more careful next time!!!

The great thing about this hobby is, for the most part, you never make the same judgeemt error twice.
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw21

i just get sound, no video.