SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by glider90, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
Throw a glider!
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2007
413 Posts
Discussion
Greetings

Hey there,
I am pretty much a complete noob to R/C. I got interested in R/C DLG's when my first love, Free Flight HLG, began to evolve from javelin launch to Discus. That started in 2005, and now the sport is practically 100% DLG dominated.

Although I am new to R/C I have flown competitive Free Flight, specializing in indoor and outdoor HLG for over 20 years. I currently hold two indoor HLG National Records and once held two World Records for indoor Free Flight HLG, class F1N, until DLG style models took my javelin records away

My first and only (right now) real R/C model is an Apogee Sport, kitted by ECM.

I have to admit, I am enjoying learning R/C and being able to bring the models back rather than jumping on a bike to chase!

This is one of my F/F outdoor designs. Typical of the current trend in Free flight gliders. 36" wingspan, about 3 ounces, launches around 120 feet. Dead air time with this model is about 80 seconds.

Here's a video of some F/F DLG tossing with my first F/F DLG, a kit by Stan Buddenbohm:
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n..._4_21_0002.flv
(By the way, the boom breaking mid-flight is known as a Dethermalizer (DT), this is a timer-controlled function to terminate the flight to prevent fly-aways!)

Another video of me and my buddy Rob throwing together. This was in the evening during the U.S. Indoor Free Flight champs. We found a beautiful soccer field and I happened to have my outdoor gliders with me. It was a blast!
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...fun_0001-1.flv

Since my roots are in Free Flight I am drawn to the smaller R/C DLG’s right now. Recent developments in the R/C industry are allowing R/C airplanes in the wingloading that Free Flight guys are accustomed to. I have always loved the lack of support equipment that comes with flying gliders. It is a very peaceful but challenging task. This is also true of R/C. Although many diehard Free Flight dudes view R/C as evil, it seems OK in gliders. R/C glider people seem to “get it”. Soaring is about efficiency and using natures energy, be it Free Flight, R/C or full scale. It just seems more pure than beating the air into submission with a Zagi.

Anyway that’s how I got here, and I am learning a bunch. I fly with several other F/F R/C hybrid friends in the Columbus Ohio Area, and enjoy every minute of it. I am already looking at Sidewinder II's
~Jim
glider90 is offline Find More Posts by glider90
Last edited by glider90; Nov 07, 2008 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:59 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Welcome

Hi Thought I would say welcome... Great start to the RC Handlaunch hobby having all that FF experience Nice models you have posted.

I am waving on dabbling in the FF dlg myself - I have had a kit for a year but keep procrastinating over sanding a balsa wing. I would rather cut foam.

Have fun
cheers jeff
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:49 PM
Thermal Seeker
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2005
176 Posts
Lets get that XP4 Build going Jim!
You remember me and Chris Goins talking to you New Years eve about FF DLGs? That was when I got Chris hooked on RC DLG.
Glad you're hooked on it too! Come out for an East Coast contest! Polecat, BASS, LISF, CRRC.

Cheers!
FlyDLG is offline Find More Posts by FlyDLG
Old Nov 04, 2008, 04:21 PM
Throw a glider!
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2007
413 Posts
Yeah, I kinda remember that conversation! Man that seems like forever ago!
I agree. RC DLG at USIC in 2009?
glider90 is offline Find More Posts by glider90