Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:01 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
641 Posts
Anybody using dual or tripple rates for this bird that they're willing to share?
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:27 AM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
dual rates
low high
elv 15mm 25mm
ail 7mm 12mm
flaps are 9mm down with 3mm up mixed on the elv. make sure when using flaps your on high rates. CG is 140-145mm
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:31 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,999 Posts
Has anyone split the wing control surface into aileron and inboard flaps and how is that working for landing? If you have this setup, are you reflexing ailerons? I would imagine this, much more than the flapperon would enable it to slow down and remain stable and controllable.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Jan 04, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:33 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
dual rates
low high
elv 15mm 25mm
ail 7mm 12mm
flaps are 9mm down with 3mm up mixed on the elv. make sure when using flaps your on high rates. CG is 140-145mm
Thank you. I usually don't use rates and just program exponential into the ailerons and elevator. I've been using flapperons from the beginning with this one. You're right, need a lot of elevator throw on landings.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:44 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Has anyone split the wing control surface into aileron and inboard flaps and how is that working for landing? If you have this setup, are you reflexing ailerons? I would imagine this, much more than the flapperon would enable it to slow down and remain stable and controllable.
You may be right. I've not seen anyone do that with this one. I've been using flapperons with mine and the only things I've concluded are that you need up elevator mixed in and that the more you increase deflection, the less aileron authority you will have.
I lower flaps to take off position and drop the gear on the down wind leg and then drop flaps to landing position only on final. If I try to turn with the flaps all the way down, it ends up being a really big final turn.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:06 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Likely this would be a better setup, as it would greatly reduce the flap area and the resultant effect. Using the entire ail as a flap makes for huge flaps - probably why there is such sudden reaction when dropped. A smaller flap, moved in close to the fuse, would still add the drag for slowdown without automatically generating that gigantic rotational vector. Good idea. Worth pursuing.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:25 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,999 Posts
I'm set to pick up a completed plane from jcopter Monday, and I'll try the mod. Looking forward to trying this bird.

I think the other advantage of no outboard flaps is that the elevator does not lose effectiveness from the turbulent air coming off the wing as much.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:48 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
Been dudeing up my F4 lately the under tail section and cones in stainless steel .005 . Has anyone done an all moving Stab yet?
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
641 Posts
Quote:
I'm set to pick up a completed plane from jcopter Monday, and I'll try the mod. Looking forward to trying this bird.

I think the other advantage of no outboard flaps is that the elevator does not lose effectiveness from the turbulent air coming off the wing as much.
Let us know what you find with the mod. You may even try flying it once with flapperons so you've got a base comparison. I'm interested in what you find.

IMHO, the elevators are more than authoritative. In fact, I'm playing with limiting the travel. I've got 40% expo dialed in and am experimenting with rates.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:35 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
359 Posts
I don't seem to have much of an issue landing mine (without flaps), I have 2, both running high power 5S setups (6904 and CS10). I belly land both and they seem to glide nicely with the proper amount of throttle and elevator management. On 5S with a heavier motor, ESC, battery and fan they're not light either.

Incidently the HET 6904 fan and 2W-25 (on 5S) is quite a combination in this model, really eats up the sky and makes a real racket (noise ).

BTW, my rates are almost the same as stated:

Ail: 14mm
Elev: 30mm

Andy
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Last edited by The43rdHammer; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
The43rdHammer , what size is your 5S and do you recall how much it weighs ? I'm going 6s 3000 mah zippy with CS10 and BL32 . Just wondering if I'll still be able to take off grass at 3.25 lbs ?The weather here is too crappy to find out ..
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:48 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
359 Posts
Hi Pencon

They are Turnigy 5S 3000mah:

Minimum Capacity: 3000mAh
Configuration: 5S1P / 18.5v / 5Cell
Constant Discharge: 30C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 40C
Pack Weight: 429g
Pack Size: 137 x 43 x 32mm

I was looking at 6S recently and am still not sure if the pack will squeeze in. The above 5S only just fit, the Turnigy 6S packs are 7mm wider. Somebody suggested Zippy Compact 6S but they're even wider.

I have some wider Nano-Techs that I will see if I can squeeze in tonight and let you know. 6S would be really great in this airframe.

Link to 5S here

Link to 6S here
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
6s 3000 mah 40c Zippy will squeeze in after a little work with a razor saw The Zippy also has 8Gauge wire and 5.5 bullets .You might have to strengthen the fuse up front a little though .I'm glueing a little .005 sheet aluminum around the outside to match my AL wings .Or you could glass the area or a couple of buried carbon tubes .You also have to cut some of the underside of the canopy till it fits .No big deal though , it ain't rocket surgery .Still considering doing 7S and CS 12 blade one day if I combine a 3 and 4S lipo .Have to look into how that's done. I've already had my 6S in , I just haven't flown it yet but man does it scream (hopefully it'll be quieter when flying ) ..
Last edited by pencon; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:12 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
359 Posts
I looked at this last night and think that the Turnigy 3000mah 6S might just squeeze in.

Given the effort involved and current performance I'm getting on 5S I'm not sure I'm going to benefit significantly from 6S, by the time you factor in the extra weight involved the incremental thrust benefits will be, in my view, minimal.

Andy
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
Well mines a little heavier than average with the metal work so 6S balances it out nicely ..