HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
I also have the eflite F4 but it's still in the box. Thinkin 8S and jetfan 80mm (gotta take off grass runway )
I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on it. I've read a lot about how difficult it is to fly. I was hoping someone that has flown the FMS F-4 would say that if you can fly one, you can fly the other.
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,448 Posts
Well I think it'll fly just fine , it'll just need a little more speed in the turns and landing . I'm not too worried about it. I'll just go with the cg setup from the eflite thread
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Well I think it'll fly just fine , it'll just need a little more speed in the turns and landing . I'm not too worried about it. I'll just go with the cg setup from the eflite thread
Was kinda hoping that eflite would drop the price as they did with their Hurricane.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,448 Posts
I still have to finish getting my FMS completed , then the Het Mig21 so it'll be a while .I did get a good deal on mine , it was 325.00 Canadian at the LHS .(talked him down a little )
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
352 Posts
Did a little detailing on my phantom today.Traced in the panel lines, then gave it a light coat of wbpu. 87 flights on her so far. One of my favorite planes!
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
Looks awesome. Great job.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:34 AM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on it. I've read a lot about how difficult it is to fly. I was hoping someone that has flown the FMS F-4 would say that if you can fly one, you can fly the other.
I can"t speak for the e flite f-4 because I don't have one. I do have a f-5 with full flying stab, It is hard to fly, you will need a digital servo on the tail with very little throw on low rates an expo. There"s no comparing a full flying stab to this fms f-4, totally different ! I suggest reading every page on the e flite f-4 thread before pulling the trigger. It"s allways nice to know what your getting into.
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
I can"t speak for the e flite f-4 because I don't have one. I do have a f-5 with full flying stab, It is hard to fly, you will need a digital servo on the tail with very little throw on low rates an expo. There"s no comparing a full flying stab to this fms f-4, totally different ! I suggest reading every page on the e flite f-4 thread before pulling the trigger. It"s allways nice to know what your getting into.
I think the main issue with the eflite F-4 is that it isn't much larger than the FMS F-4 but weighs nearly double. In tight turns the tail has a tendency to come around and when nearing stall speed, controlls become very mushy and somewhat unresponsive. And it seems (from reading through the thread) that most that have had crashes, didn't understand the difference in flight charachteristics of a delta (that has weight issues) vs. a Habu, which is a sport jet, two completely different animals.

Guys that like flying the eflite rhino say that it isn't nearly as difficult as some have lead on to and that with proper CG, it's great and predictable. Like anything, flight reports have to be taken in context. Everyone flys differently, builds differently, uses different components, parts, techniques and flys in different conditions (wind, weather, sun brightness, eyesight, altitude,etc).

Looking at the FlyFly F-4 (90mm), the average AUW is about a pound less than the Eflite F-4 but is a bit larger. Seems to handle the slower speeds and corner better. May be a better plane to build/fly for my money and learing curve.

I really like F-4's and was really wanting to build the Eflite rhino as soon as it was announced, so I started stock piling components for one. Kinda starting to lean more towards building a Habu 32 (as most of the components are the same) and then building a FlyFly F-4 instead.

It is nice to know what you're getting into. I'm probably over-thinking it but I really would hate to build something like that and then never fly it a second time.

Which F-5 do you have?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
the f-5 is converted from jetset44"s t-38 pusher prop plans. My build can be seen here, I also have a short video. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...06817&page=218
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Put 4 flights on the Phantom yesterday. I think I've finally got the landings dialed in. 4 great landings and only one aborted approach and go around. I've been adjusting flap deflection to elevator mix along with rudder and throttle input. Feel like I've got it figured out now.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Did a little detailing on my phantom today.Traced in the panel lines, then gave it a light coat of wbpu. 87 flights on her so far. One of my favorite planes!
How does she fly? Is she nose heavey? Does the elevator help out at all? What would your recommend for a guy that is about to maiden?

DonQ
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
How does she fly? Is she nose heavey? Does the elevator help out at all? What would your recommend for a guy that is about to maiden?

DonQ
What setup do you have? Stock receiver ready or did you build yours?

If yours is stock with no mods, it will leap off the ground in about 20 feet without the thrust mod. Keep the speed up and don't yank and bank in the turns until you're comfortable with how F4's turn. Fly it all the way in, throttle on and let it flare for landings.

Good luck. Once you get comfortable with the delta's tendencies, it's a lot of fun to fly.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:23 AM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
352 Posts
I have flown mine with 4s 2500 and 3300> I,ve even used a 5s 3300. I just removed a little foam until the pack slides all the way back against the rear bulkhead.Doesn,t seem to mind the extra weight at all.Like Rangerfan said, keep-some throttle on until you touch down. I am running the eflite bl15 3200kv and deltav 15 fan.3300 get me about 5 minutes of mixed (lots of full throttle!) flying. Just be mindfull of your timer. You don,t want to try and deadstick this one in, she,s no glider!!
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Added the drop tanks tonight. Since mine is in the usaf camo, I painted the pylons white and the bottom half of the tanks white. Secured them to the wings with magnets. Have to say, looks pretty cool. Curious to see how much speed they steal.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:47 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Added the drop tanks tonight. Since mine is in the usaf camo, I painted the pylons white and the bottom half of the tanks white. Secured them to the wings with magnets. Have to say, looks pretty cool. Curious to see how much speed they steal.
Surprisingly, they didn't effect the top end much at all but the did make it fly like it was heavier. The take off took a bit more distance to rotate and I began to apply up elevator (which I usually don't need) because I was running out of runway. When she did rotate, she leapt off of the runway into a concerning aoa. Once I get leveled out, the rest of the flight was uneventful. The split S turns just felt like she was heavy.
The magnets work well. Its almost like the tanks are epoxied on.