HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
You did reinforce that Nose Gear Cavity VERY WELL I hope...Poly-Ply works great for that. There will be considerable pressure applied to that fuselage area right there at the nose gear mount should the landing(s) turn out Less Than Stellar.

Nice Job.,,
Bobaroo is offline Find More Posts by Bobaroo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,562 Posts
Well guys , I've already posted this in a couple of other areas but just in case some of you haven't seen it. I crashed my F4 last year and it broke off both wings and smashed one of the intakes busted the front and back of the plane off . I was looking to replace it but after noticing that they're all sold out I figured I 'd experiment with some aluminum pop cans to fix it up . here's a couple of pics .If it flys ok after these repairs ,I'm thinking maybe sheet the whole thing and add retracts . One popcan sheet weighs .16 of an ounce. I also have the CS 10 blade in an alloy housing with BL32 6S 3000Mah 40C. Weathers really been bad up here so I haven't tried to fly it yet since the repair .
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:53 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo View Post
You did reinforce that Nose Gear Cavity VERY WELL I hope...Poly-Ply works great for that. There will be considerable pressure applied to that fuselage area right there at the nose gear mount should the landing(s) turn out Less Than Stellar.

Nice Job.,,
Thanks. It seems pretty solid. Feel like I could drop it on its nose and aside from the nose cone, it would be fine.

I get good landings about 50% of the time so I knew they had to be like rocks.
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Last edited by Rangerfan; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,562 Posts
Somebody was saying the intakes are way too big limiting the top speed . I was thinking - what if you move the back of the splitter plate out ward and pin it with a hinge at the front ,limiting the amount of air getting in ?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
Air Management

Awesome Metal Work;

I looked at the intake "Problem" also. I'm sucking air all over the place just to feed the stock setups. If you go to the higher consumption fans you'll most likely need additional air from "Somewhere" especially for the acceleration and ground roll.

Try blocking off some portion of your intake with something like a foam plug and push that around to see if you get the thrust you need. Cheater holes are cool, but they suck up lots of junk.

Yes, with proper air management I believe the jet would really move out nicely, however, so much reinforcement would be needed to support that and such a weight penalty would be imposed it would probably not be as much fun to fly especially when you're clinching up on every pass waiting for your jet to come apart.

These are very cool airplanes. This one was lost during my elevator anhedral testing. The more I added up elevator to it while it was in it's 'Death Dive" the faster it dove to the ground....Then Poooof ..... Very dramatic. Not much fun.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:50 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
... My experience with the 10-blade hasn't been any better. Had one in my Venom F-86 with a Tacon 2550kv motor on 6s - sound wise, it was OK but nuthin that could be called special. Power wise it was just OK too.

The fan does have a reputation as a battery-killer too....
I'm thinking of pulling the CS10 and adding the HET6904, if they sound similar then I'm gaining nothing on the CS10.

All-in all the CS10 has been a big disappointment, I'll stick to Wemo and HET from now on.

Have been running on 5S, not sure I'm going to get anything bigger in up front.

Andy
The43rdHammer is online now Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:47 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
350 Posts
I finally got round to posting some sunset shots i took from my camcorder in the Summer!
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Great pics, Sniper

You take mighty fine into-the-sun pics, amigo. If we were on the receiving end of anything that Phantom has to offer, we'd never see it coming!
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:58 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Amazing pics!
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:22 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
Plus 1! Great pics man!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:49 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
380 Posts
Amazing, love 'em!
The43rdHammer is online now Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,562 Posts
Yeah those turned out great !
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:26 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
Providing the weather is decent tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to remaiden with the new retracts. Little worried about the increase in weight. Wish me luck!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Best of luck!!

Yeah! Best to you, big time.

ABOVE ALL..... keep the speed up until you're sure of extra weight effects. 'Specially on the final.... let it roll out rather than trying to come in too slow.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
Nice One

Great Pix sniper1....

Rangerfan, She'll do good I'm sure.
Any cg shift with the gear actuation ?...looks like there will be very little...if there is; as a general starting point I dial in 1mm opposite elevator for every 1inch of cg deflection (Measured at the nose). Seems to work great for the lighter foamies.

GL on the flight testing.
Enjoy