Bigger wings? Very interesting. I added retracts to mine, still didn't
add a rudder.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Dec 2005
105 Posts
Once I get all the bits and pieces weighed, I'll see how much bigger the wings will need to be to maintain my current wing loading. I expect to have everything by the end of November. Because of time constraints, I'm a very slow builder. The plan is just to have the plane ready for sping. I guess I can open a thread and post pictures.
gdimonte is offline Find More Posts by gdimonte
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
You guys that did the retracts, how did you configure the nose? Seems like the e-flite 10-15 trikes would be a good fit since they open forward (like the prototype did). Did you guys use a pull-pull arraingement or configure a pushrod for steering?
And how have your retracts held up? Looking back, do you think you used enough ply in the wings for bases?
Thanks!
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
You guys that did the retracts, how did you configure the nose? Seems like the e-flite 10-15 trikes would be a good fit since they open forward (like the prototype did). Did you guys use a pull-pull arraingement or configure a pushrod for steering?
And how have your retracts held up? Looking back, do you think you used enough ply in the wings for bases?
Thanks!
Got the retracts from X-Flight.com; they're only about 16mm deep, making them a much easier fit into the wings and nose. They've held up well so far, against my awful landing skills. I have bent some of the 3mm leg struts on some really crappy landings, but the retracts continue to run just fine.

Here are a few pics of the nose install: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4813081, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4813084, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4813083

I used pull-pull steering as I just couldn't get my head around making a single hardwire work, along with 90* rotation. Used ply to mount them in the wings, too - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4818768 Nothing has pulled out or given up, altho I could hardly fault them for doing so, given how bad I land this poor plane. Still trying to figure this out; just need to carry more speed into the landing but - for whatever reason - I balk at that.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Last edited by PikeStaff; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
I used the same retracts as Pike.
They've held up well with my bad landings as well. The front, not so much. I'm going to try a servo/rod steering system, hopefully I get back out soon, it's been really here in MI.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
I get a lot of bad landing with this bird too. Something to do with it just wanting to fall out of the sky when bringing the power back to zero... and probably a combination with my skills. So my jury is still out on adding retracts yet.
You guys think oleo trailing struts on the mains will help with the tendency to rabbit hop down the runway?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,748 Posts
Couldn't hurt....

But I do think that GDiMonte's mod to the exhaust nozzles would do more than anything to help with weird oscillations. I've had mine take off in 10 feet, and go into a solid 65* harrier because of that dang thrustline issue. That is one mod that I need to make, and fast.

I have another airframe that will be built as light as I can possibly make it, just to see if calms down some of the Attention Deficit Disorder characteristics
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
Yeah mine will get airborne quickly too. In as little as 15' if flaps are down. I tried adding weigh to the nose thinking it would make the take offs more scale. And it certainly did. The most scale takeoffs I've ever made with any edf. The consequence was landings were even more difficult.
As of now, I've got it just a tad nose heavy and I think I'm liking it about the most there.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:09 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
Anyone using the 60amp eflite esc fan and 3600kv motor? I'm looking for some battery suggestions. Thinking 4s 3000 35-70c? 2200's give me only about 3-3.5 minutes of aggressive flying.
I'm looking for more time without increasing the weight so much that would make landing this rhino anymore difficult.
Suggestions?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
A 3000 - 3700 Mah battery should be fine..That's what I use.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Dec 2005
105 Posts
I'm using the same e-flite set-up with a Turnigy 3300 35-70C. This battery gets pushed pretty hard. I think the nanotech 45-90C would have been a much better match. I'm interested in trying the 65-105C battery.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Dec 2005
105 Posts
I've been taking some measurements off off this plane and I think it might be a good candidate for a set of intake ducts.
I measured the intakes at roughly 32mmX78mm for cross sectional area. Based on measurements from my DeltaV-15 fan, the two ducts together have an FSA of roughly 160%. They're way oversized. I think a set of intake ducts can be made to fit inside this airframe without having to remove allot of foam.
The exhaust outlets are roughly 43mm diameter which is just shy of 95% FSA. These can be reduced by 1mm to get closer to 85%.
Any thoughts as to weather or not this is worth going after for a performance improvement?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,748 Posts
The too-large inlets cost a lot of top end, to be certain. Taking the exhausts to 80% - 85% will probably show similar results but with a whole lot less work. Still..... It would be neat to get a gain thru better design, rather than by simply brute force.

Feeling creative? Might be easier to use lightweight spackle to fill and form the ducting. Probably easier, too, to split the fuse to enable access for the work.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
Well, here's what I hope is my last bellyland since I've installed a new steerable nosegear.
70mm F-4 at Pilgrams Field (4 min 32 sec)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt View Post
Well, here's what I hope is my last bellyland since I've installed a new steerable nosegear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW6QW...1&feature=plcp
Will- you do retracts or fixed gear?