HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:01 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Okay, going to run an experiment here and have some fun...

My F-4 has been crashed at least a half a dozen times now and I will be retiring it after this next flight. I may buy another.

However, for this last flight, I am going to swap the stock 2650KV motor fora 2950 kv motor listed below, use the same fan I had before and run it on a 6S pack. The links to the fan, motor and battery are listed below.

I am not sure how it will fly as it is considerably heavier than stock.

It should be interesting.....

Fan- http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=214

Motor- http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=176

Battery- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14954
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:51 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,870 Posts
I'm really interested in how you make out with that fan - been looking at them for quite a while now and would love to get some real-world input on how they perform. When you get it done, please let us know what you think of it.

Only thing I would think of issue, might be the size of the batt. As long as you can get it into the battery tray, you'll be good to go! Might need to chop out a bit of the rear bulkhead at the rear of the batt tray to get balance.

NOW it's gonna fly like a Phantom is supposed to!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:46 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
I'm really interested in how you make out with that fan - been looking at them for quite a while now and would love to get some real-world input on how they perform. When you get it done, please let us know what you think of it.

Only thing I would think of issue, might be the size of the batt. As long as you can get it into the battery tray, you'll be good to go! Might need to chop out a bit of the rear bulkhead at the rear of the batt tray to get balance.

NOW it's gonna fly like a Phantom is supposed to!
I have three of those fans...I really like them...very well balanced out of the box and material is very strong, power has been great. They definitely sound like a high quality fan.

I have been flying the F4 with that fan, the stock 2650KV motor and a 3000mah 5S pack ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17829 ). It fits well in the nose of the F4 and the 6s should have no issue fitting. I get 5-7 minutes on it depending on throttle management. It is slightly nose heavy at lower throttle, and it takes a little longer for the nose to come up on take of, but these are all minor trade offs. I actually like the take off with this battery as it is more scale on rotation and actually easier to manage. I have flown the F4 with a much smaller and lighter 5S pack but the flight times are much shorter.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:59 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Just did a test run on a 5S/3000mah/30-40C pack with the 2950kv motor and Tahmazo fan in the F4, stock esc:

Peak was 70amps at1257 watts.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:27 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,870 Posts
Good numbers.....

Almost 1300 watts in a sub-1200 gram plane. Likely right around 46k too - gonna make a nice improvement in speed.

Might just push you into getting another Phantom airframe....
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:00 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
561 Posts
Is anyone flying the HET 6904 2w-20 setup on 4s? If so how fast is it?
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:38 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Just did a test run on a 5S/3000mah/30-40C pack with the 2950kv motor and Tahmazo fan in the F4, stock esc:

Peak was 70amps at1257 watts.

Flew it today with that pack. All I can say is "holy cow"!!!!

It took off in about 15' of runway...I didn't have a radar gun but I would say top end had to be near if not over 100mph. About 2.5-3mins in, the motor started throttling as if the pack had been deleted. I throttled back to about 1/2 (which is still faster than it was stock) and the motor ran fine. I landed it on my next go around and checked my pack...it was at 3.86/cell. I checked the stock ESC and it was extremely hot...I suspect it was shutting down due to thermal protection.

I have made up my mind and I am going to buy a fresh F4 and move this combo, along with a new ESC into the new plane and put retracts on it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:06 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Flew it today with that pack. All I can say is "holy cow"!!!!

It took off in about 15' of runway...I didn't have a radar gun but I would say top end had to be near if not over 100mph. About 2.5-3mins in, the motor started throttling as if the pack had been deleted. I throttled back to about 1/2 (which is still faster than it was stock) and the motor ran fine. I landed it on my next go around and checked my pack...it was at 3.86/cell. I checked the stock ESC and it was extremely hot...I suspect it was shutting down due to thermal protection.

I have made up my mind and I am going to buy a fresh F4 and move this combo, along with a new ESC into the new plane and put retracts on it.
That's great to hear. I finally put my other prodjects aside and took my F-4 up. Everything is stock except the 4s 3000 Mah. Had a great maiden, took off scale, flew well, landed great.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
...Replacement airframe already order but this time I'm going all out with retracts, maybe glassing and 1kw on tap.
I put retracts on mine with the mini PZ etracts from HK, if you uses the stock struts and wheels it'll add around 4 - 5 oz of weight. I used the chromed out CS struts from HK with the torque arms and it still only added around 6.5oz of weight which allowed it to float in the wind...i could fly mine on 3s with good speed.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Still not much of a photographer. And still a few things to finish up - but figured I'd post a couple more pics. Gonna love the way it looks in the air now - like a Rhino is supposed to!
Hey Pike staff, were did you get your main struts from?

The seem perfect for a scale stance and look for this plane...

The CS chromed out struts were really hard and made the stand a little too tall for me...

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:24 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Hey Pike staff, were did you get your main struts from?
I couldn't find anything I liked, so I made them. They have about 1/4" of sprung movement, not much but good enough to take the edge off some of my typical hard landings.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:15 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Is anyone flying the HET 6904 2w-20 setup on 4s? If so how fast is it?
I fly mine with the Het 2w20 and 6904 fan on 4 cell. I have a lot of ordinance on mine so its pretty draggy and it goes 70-80mph. On a clean airframe it goes 80-90mph.
sniper1 is online now Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
Joined Jan 2008
561 Posts
Sniper, Thanxs that is what I wanted to hear. What are the odds of you taking a picture of your setup. I wanna see how you setup your wires, ESC, Servo Wires, and battery. Cheers DonQ
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:47 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
351 Posts
Here you go. Not much to see really. I extended the battery bay toward the nose to move the battery forward to compensate for the tanks etc. I have a servo reverser on a y lead for the elevator, and the esc above the cooling hole. Wires taped down to stop them flopping about.
sniper1 is online now Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:55 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
Joined Jan 2008
561 Posts
Dude Looks nice. Thanxs