Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:02 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,148 Posts
Hi Redd
I haven't been here in a little while. Still have my Phantom intact though. Think I've got the oldest "survivor" in this thread. (so far)
I'm sort of at a loss for explanation to what happened in the post above too. Possible brownout from the esc but wouldn't be willing to bet on it either way. I do know that when it happens it can take a Spektum sometimes several seconds to recover from it though. And since Steve was flying ppm, I'm clueless.
Not related to the HL F-4 but the FlyFly 90 is now available (ordered mine today after checing the build thread here in RCG) It does have fan access after building (the whole wing and lower fuse are a bolt to the top fuse deal) and looks like it might even be a good candidate for retracts.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:05 PM
Has nowhere to store his Jets!
Sydney
Joined May 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
I dont know the info on your esc. I have never seen or used that brand. But i have to ask is it capable of 4s Lipo operation utilizing the internal bec? most esc out there require a seperate bec when using 4s lipos. some can only handle up to three servos on a higher volt pack. This just may be why your servos locked up. An it as well could of been radio interference. But then you shouldnt of had throttle control if that was the case. It sounds as if you overloaded the internal bec and it went south as it got hot. just my two cents.
Thankyou for your reply PlaneNuttz

The Leton is capable of running 4S packs
The bec current is rated at 2 Amps max...

I didn't use the controls when I first lost control of it.... she just spiralled in after a perfect takeoff... didn't even need the sticks to hold her level she climbed beautifully for 5 seconds when she turned into a lawn dart.

Steve
Steve2308 is offline Find More Posts by Steve2308
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:46 PM
LARKS Lexington RC FLYERS
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
2 amp bec is very low bud. I would say running a 4s pack and 5 servos is to much for the bec and once it heats up the problem start. a good way to verify this is to ground test the f-4 system and see if you can repeat the lockup on the ground. Odds are im betting the bec is to blame. There are very few esc on the market that can handle 4s lipo and that many servos on an internal bec. Outside of that it could be your radio may be faulty. eg. mix conflicts , bad rx. etc
PlaneNuttz is offline Find More Posts by PlaneNuttz
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Hi Bill. My second one is good to go. Love this edf! I have been eyeing the fly fly f-4 myself as well as the sabre. Love the size and the retracts. Im getting so addicted to jets now i have gotten rid of all my prop aircraft. ( still have a couple of pusher jets tho) LOL!!!! waiting to see a little more on the fly fly 90mm models first. Had my fill of being the first to the punch and lawn darting. Tho I have to say i finnally took the stock ef16 out and boy is that thing amazing on the stock setup. its as fast on 3s as my f-4 on 4s. 74mph. Cant wait to get the mod one done. should be an easy 120mph. good enough for me on that size. Been checking out the sapac f-16 too. a little larger then the ef-16 but waiting on a little more detailed info on it. Im gonna need a second job to pay for all this LMAO!!!!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:09 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Oct 2005
222 Posts
Gonna complete my 3rd (yes 3rd as i wrecked the others adapting to the flight envelope of this supposed "brick with wings") F4 build this weekend and it surely worth it. The stock pwr was okay but i've since upgraded to the 700w Pwr Pack from EJF. Now she's a respectable jet so to speak. I didn't know that people were hand launching them. Don't know if i'll try that yet but i did have a few good slow flyby's. Not as fast as my HL F-16 (LS1400) but they make a good combo inventory. I might upgrade to the LS1400 so she can hang with the big boys. I also add some 3inch carbon rods from the wings to the fuse. With the 700w pwr pack it feels as if she's right at 100mph level flight. I have an airspeed addon on order to get the real numbers.
Philld is offline Find More Posts by Philld
Last edited by Philld; Jan 16, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:13 PM
Sydney
Joined May 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
2 amp bec is very low bud. I would say running a 4s pack and 5 servos is to much for the bec and once it heats up the problem start. a good way to verify this is to ground test the f-4 system and see if you can repeat the lockup on the ground. Odds are im betting the bec is to blame. There are very few esc on the market that can handle 4s lipo and that many servos on an internal bec. Outside of that it could be your radio may be faulty. eg. mix conflicts , bad rx. etc
Dunno if this is a dumb question... but if I were to use a external BEC say a 5 amp one... would this limit my interference??
I read somewhere that it's the internal BEC's in ESC's that make the most noise....
Thanks again for your help!!

Steve
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,148 Posts
I gotta agree with ya on the stock ef16 Redd. I think that's where the edf bug got it's 1st real bite in on me. It's a great little flyer and modded out with a 70mm fan and even a mild 450w setup will satisfy most anybody's "need for speed". It's still one of all time favorites although I did sell my stocker to a buddy of mine last month. I keep a spare NIB in my closet "just in case"

I have a flyfly Mirage too. Didn't really like it due to lack of fan access, but it did fly well until I robbed the hacker out of it to run in the Gripen. (it's another one with no access once built)
I saw one of the sapac 16's up close at the Ocala edf meet. It's a little bigger than the ef and probably closer to a scale appearance on the inlet. The one I saw looked pretty "cobbled up" though. Foam looked pretty ragged and I think they were holding the canopy on with tape. On 4s it was as fast as my mod. Maybe a hair faster but using a lot more battery to do it. I'm running 450 watts and think they had one of the 1100 watt composite T-45 setups in that one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
an external bec is the safest way to go with the current esc you have. I still think your esc internal bec cant handle. the 5 servos and 4s setup for long. im betting if you do a bench run up just as your maiden you can reproduce the lock-up on the internel bec on your lenton.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2308
Dunno if this is a dumb question... but if I were to use a external BEC say a 5 amp one... would this limit my interference??
I read somewhere that it's the internal BEC's in ESC's that make the most noise....

Steve

By all means, adopt the external bec. Anything I have that's on more than 3s and 3 servos has either a bec or it's own flight pack. Just as a side note Castle makes a 10 amp that's very reasonable in price. (around 22 bucks) Fully programmable via castle link too
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jan 16, 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:21 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Oct 2005
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2308

Steve
Steve you could look at it as if it's an all in one stereo system with all the working going in there it does increase the electronic noise levels and potential for failure. Whereas in a component system they are each isolated in their own cleaner environment giving max performance. An external BEC is the prefferred setup for high pwr's systems of perhaps 300w or more. I've converted nearly all 7 of my planes to seperates.
Philld is offline Find More Posts by Philld
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
They just keep getting bigger. 101mm Foamie jets http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...index&cPath=15
Old Jan 17, 2009, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
if your gonna go to high watts i recommend you replacing the stock hinges with a pin style hinge. they dont look like they could handle the stress if you are going to get this bird over 100mph for long. servos swapped out is ano brainer of course.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:26 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,148 Posts
Quote:
They just keep getting bigger. 101mm Foamie jets http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...index&cPath=15

More expensive too.
Hope those are better quality than the Haoye 18 I (finally) finished up last week. What a piece...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:17 PM
Sydney
Joined May 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
By all means, adopt the external bec. Anything I have that's on more than 3s and 3 servos has either a bec or it's own flight pack. Just as a side note Castle makes a 10 amp that's very reasonable in price. (around 22 bucks) Fully programmable via castle link too
Thankyou for your help.... got a 5amp UBEC on the way!!!!

I'll be a little more careful with the next preflight

Steve
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:58 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
5 amp bec would be perfect for your application using 4s. standard servo connectors can only handle up to 5 amps. that way your good to go.