HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2008, 05:02 PM
LARKS Lexington RC FLYERS
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Well the first two flights went great. Bounced the first landing but nailed the second. Have to really fly her in on power and use throttle and keep nose high to settle her in nice. Now the third flight of the day didnt go so well. takeoff off was normal first two passes where great but about 1 and 1/2 minutes into flight i noticed a dramatic loss in speed. so i set up for approach and brought here in. well a good 20 mph crosswind stepped in and i bounced the landing good. ran out of runway so had to throttle up and go vert. This is where the bad news is. the motor started to surge and then she just went dead about 60 ft off the deck. came nose in and thats all she wrote. All and all the motor and fan pull this jet around with good authority. the esc that comes with the arf is crap. this was a replacement and it only survived 2 flights. regardless this is bound to happen if you use the esc that comes with the jet. its just a matter of time. oh well. will throw the fan and motor in a phase 3 frame i got laying around for an easy 80 + mph. Shes a good airframe tho. really looked and flew great! wont buy another tho unless its white bare foam and unglued.

Peace.
PlaneNuttz is offline Find More Posts by PlaneNuttz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:40 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
You can make a new nose for it out of 6mm depron foam like the 6mmflyrc.com F4 but a little bigger
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Nov 02, 2008, 07:30 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
Well the first two flights went great. Bounced the first landing but nailed the second. Have to really fly her in on power and use throttle and keep nose high to settle her in nice. Now the third flight of the day didnt go so well. takeoff off was normal first two passes where great but about 1 and 1/2 minutes into flight i noticed a dramatic loss in speed. so i set up for approach and brought here in. well a good 20 mph crosswind stepped in and i bounced the landing good. ran out of runway so had to throttle up and go vert. This is where the bad news is. the motor started to surge and then she just went dead about 60 ft off the deck. came nose in and thats all she wrote. All and all the motor and fan pull this jet around with good authority. the esc that comes with the arf is crap. this was a replacement and it only survived 2 flights. regardless this is bound to happen if you use the esc that comes with the jet. its just a matter of time. oh well. will throw the fan and motor in a phase 3 frame i got laying around for an easy 80 + mph. Shes a good airframe tho. really looked and flew great! wont buy another tho unless its white bare foam and unglued.

Peace.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that with all the other aggravation you had with it. It was bad windy here today too. (still trying to catch a good day for my Sapac JAS) A 70mm in a Phase 3 EF-16 is a good setup that you should like tho. Mine has been clocked with a radar gun at 122 running a HET 6904 and 3W on 4s. http://www.manatee-rc.com/Projects/EF16MOD.html for a few tips on getting it to live at those speeds.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Nov 02, 2008, 10:27 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
When I trashed the nose and left wing on mine, HL basically just said T.S. and told me they flew theirs just fine at 165 mm CG which I absolutley doubt they did even attempt, certianly not a hand launch if so. But, for some reason they said 150mm was the ideal CG. The actual CG is more like 125mm off the established intersection of the wing and fuselage.

I have flown mine a number of times at this CG and it has hand launched perfectly every time. However, they never offered any repair parts for the nose or wing. The issue of the loose SC is one I noticed right off and epoxied in place before I got bit by that one.

My list of complaints agianst HL is growing and I may discontinue purchasing from them. I have been a customer for over 20 years too. Other unrelated incidents have moved me to that point of view.

Sorry to hear of the loss of another nice F-4. I really like mine now that I have things sorted out. Flew it yesterday at an electric meet and again today and it was great.

I do recommend Rhino batteries! They seem to put out more power than any others I have tried. LBJ
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Shes a good airframe tho guys. The included fan and motor really pulled her around great! The guys at the field where loving her. Specially seeing it lift off a grass runway in 20 ft and taxi. All of us where sad when she went dead and hit the deck nose first . it was like we all where at a funeral. But I really enjoyed it and Hobby lobby has a great product here. The new batch has the new esc setup and i would say BUY IT! Hobby Lobby represenitive Bobby Mills was a great help through out my build and had to deal with alot from me. They went to alot of trouble providing parts and everything at no cost. Its really not there fault so many bec in the first batch ended up or end up frying. But I will always continue to do business with them. They have one of the best customer service around and are and have been a top distributor here in the U.S.. And no I dont work for them. Trust me read my threads! LOL!
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:41 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick88ss
You can make a new nose for it out of 6mm depron foam like the 6mmflyrc.com F4 but a little bigger

LOL! The whole cockpit is gone bud.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
Ouch. Sorry to hear that with all the other aggravation you had with it. It was bad windy here today too. (still trying to catch a good day for my Sapac JAS) A 70mm in a Phase 3 EF-16 is a good setup that you should like tho. Mine has been clocked with a radar gun at 122 running a HET 6904 and 3W on 4s. http://www.manatee-rc.com/Projects/EF16MOD.html for a few tips on getting it to live at those speeds.

Thanks for the mod thread. Was wondering tho, how far back did you mount the het fan compared to the stock one?
Old Nov 03, 2008, 08:46 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
Thanks for the mod thread. Was wondering tho, how far back did you mount the het fan compared to the stock one?
Guess I wasn't clear enough on the web page? Front edge of fan housing appox 1/4" back from where the fuselage steps up for the fan install.
Or, another method. With the wires from esc against the back edge of the fan housing, as far back as you can get it with the wires running through the molded channel that runs underneath where the vertical fin attaches.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:02 PM
Family,RC Planes & Gym....
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
Bill,
So basically, 1/4" back from where the stock fan is installed? I'm planning on dumping my 3w/wemo on my ef16 too. Thx-Reggie
vq35721 is offline Find More Posts by vq35721
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:18 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Done!

I slapped mine together in a couple of evenings. Started with the bare airframe from EflyPower, equipment I used is as follows:

- HET 2W-20 3350kv inrunner
- Himax DF69 EDF (Wemo Mini clone)
- Super Simple 50A ESC (Suppo)
- Turnigy 3A BEC
- 4- Hextronics HXT900 9g servos
- ASSAN X8 R6 receiver
- Rhino 4S 2350mah 25C

AUW is 2lbs 8.5oz. Mine is clean with no LG for hand launch and belly landings. I installed some clear plastic servo covers over the aileron linkage to protect the wing servos from being stripped on landing. I also filled the flimsy thin nose cone with expanding foam; it is still flexible but much more solid than before. My wattmeter shows 610W, 41A on a fresh pack. I marked my CG at 150mm; is this the accepted "working" CG? I read somewhere that the factory recommended 165mm is too far aft.

Some observations; the ARF came with hardware but it's probably some of the worst I've seen. The control horns are brittle plastic and the are hollowed out. Additionally, the plastic clevis' on the threaded rods are brittle plastic and when snapped together, they don't stay together; I had to put some fuel line over them as keepers so they don't pop off in flight. I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the included hardware and may just replace all of it.

Will try to maiden within the next two weeks.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:26 PM
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
Nice set-up :-) Im gonna be running the same set up as soon as I find my Airframe kit only :-( Infinity-hobby dont sell the kit anymore. Efly dont have them in stock and I'm not sure what comes with the replacement parts from HL. Question for you, where can i get the Himax/Haoye DFs? -Reggie
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:38 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vq35721
Nice set-up :-) Im gonna be running the same set up as soon as I find my Airframe kit only :-( Infinity-hobby dont sell the kit anymore. Efly dont have them in stock and I'm not sure what comes with the replacement parts from HL. Question for you, where can i get the Himax/Haoye DFs? -Reggie
Try Hobby City I've purchased a couple of Haoye's from them.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3&ParentCat=58
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vq35721
I'm real glad I snapped up an airframe from eflypower when I did; I know what you mean about Infinity because I was looking at the kits on their website first then all of a sudden they removed all their airframe kits and now only sell PNP/RTF. Just keep checking EflyPower; I'm sure they will restock sooner or later.

The Himax fan/Wemo clone I'm using in this F-4 I got from another RCGroups member who pulled it out of a Multiplex Twister but he kept the motor. I see the bare Himax/Twister fan for sale occasionally here on RCgroups for $15-$20 and I always try to scoop them up because they are just as good IMO as the Wemo but much less expensive. If you pick up the entire Twister power set (fan +motor) you can get the entire assembly with the 3600kv Himax motor which is already dynamically balanced at the factory. I don't know why people are down on this setup and want to get rid of them when they buy a Twister because it develops more power then the 2W-20/Wemo Mini setup (close to 800W); you just have to properly install a heat sink on the motor to make it last on 4S and 50+ amps, that's all.

You can also pickup the Haoye 69mm fan (also a copy of the Wemo Mini) from Hobby city:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4500

You have to carefully balance these rotors but they work just fine once you do so. 1 problem: for some reason they recently changed the included adapter to 3mm from 3.17mm and they don't carry 3.17mm adapters for this fan.

However, I buy adapters for the Wemo Mini/clones from Aircraft World:

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...df+SPARE+PARTS

This is the cheapest place I've found and the shipping is also pretty cheap although it's coming from Japan. You can just use an authentic Wemo mini adapter also.

If you buy a Twister fan, you will need to get a Wemo 3.17 adapter anyways because the adapter that comes with the Twister fan is 4mm which fits the Himax motor.

Doubletap
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:53 PM
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
Thank you sir! I ordered the one from hobbycity earlier today(I didnt think thats a Haoye DF). I cracked one of my wemo housing so I'm in need of a replacement and was told that my wemo impeller should fit right on that housing. -Reggie
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:01 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Protect those servo gears from stripping...

...I use these nifty clear servo covers to cover the servo arm and linkage on my low wing belly landers to prevent stripping of the servo gears. They also reduce drag of the bare linkage. They can also be painted whatever color you like. Price is right at 4 covers for $5. Several styles to choose from also. The style I have pictured on my F-4 is the 098001; it's big enough to cover all the linkage and hardware. Check out the pic.

http://compositerc.com/

Doubletap