HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:34 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead385
I am Bill, JR 9303 2.4 rig. If it was a brownout, it couldn't have happed at a worst time, about half a mistake high in a left turn! I'm debating on whether or not to try and piece the beast back together. If I do, I think I'll try another esc????
Or possibly add in one of the Castle bec's. You might want to check your stock esc to be sure it's properly secured with the cooling fins over the cooling hole, too. I noticed on my F-4 that it had come loose and was free to slide around under the turtledeck. I put down some fresh double faced tape and re-attached it before it's 1st flight. Keeping some cooling airflow over them is essential to preventing cutouts.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:15 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
With all due respect to our colleagues in the Navy and Marines:

What is with all the NAVY only aircraft; did the AIR FORCE not fly these airplanes too? The new A-7 and F-4 in only Navy schemes; where's my SEA in Air Force marking guys?

If this were available in SEA I'd likely have bought one, heck maybe even the A-7 but plain Navy gray; it's easier to produce, just throw some stickers on it and keeps the price down; I get it but yawwwnnnn....
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2005
68 Posts
Good news. I spoke with a HL rep today and explained what happened with the F4 maiden flight. He said that several customers had complained about problems with the BEC in the F4 kits. Some of the incidents had led to crashes, some had not. In my case with the model pretty much a write-off, HL will be sending me a new model when the next shipment comes in mid November. I'm impressed, they admitted a problem with a product and made good on my purchase.
hoghead385 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead385
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:29 PM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,295 Posts
They are using the same BEC in the F-16 and many of them are having problems. Just read that thread and you will be enlightened. Mine hasnt flown yet and won't until HL gets this issue resolved.
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1 Posts
CG on F4

I've flown my F4 times and so far the landings have all been bouncy (crappy). I did get lucky though, the tail section came loose from the fuselage on the ground because of poor gluing. The CG is at 165 mm and the plane flies nicely. Has anyone flown the plane successfully using the specified CG? Went to the HL website and there is no addendum indicating that the CG is wrong.
FLYINGBULL is offline Find More Posts by FLYINGBULL
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:09 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
ALERT: F-4 Airframe at EflyPower - $81.42

I just found the bare airframe at eflypower on sale for $81.42! With EMS shipping to North America it came out to $113.62. I pulled the trigger as that is a good price IMO:

http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1709

Hurry up and order because their homepage says the sales are only good for 24hours. There were some other great deals also like the F-16 for $45.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:37 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
F-4 airframe arrived today.

Just received my bare bones FMS F-4 from eflypower today. From online order to EMS and delivery in 4 days flat! The box was very well packed with an additional layer of double wall cardboard over the top and sides, and then the entire carton was wrapped with 2 layers of mini bubble wrap.

I was very impressed with the model's container; it was actually ENGINEERED as opposed to alot of these containers that are just a flimsy cardboard box with the contents thrown in or bagged and taped. This container was a full size molded foam crutch where all the parts were held securely or in little cubby holes. The box top was just a carboard slip cover. This type of container construction is very secure and allows the cartons to be stacked and loaded without damage to the contents. I inspected the contents and they were unscathed.

The kit parts itself showed quite a bit of thought and design engineering that had gone into them. Overall, I'm impressed with the value of this foamie relative to others I've owned/seen. It's definitely worth the $113 delivered. The only thing that struck me as particularly poor design was the flimsy vacuum formed nose cone. I think this part should have been of similar construction to the rest of the major components for durability. I'll fill this up with expanding foam before installing.

I'll be dropping in a Wemo mini clone/Himax 3600kv powerset (from MPX Twister) with properly installed Medusa heat sink. On a strong 4S pack, this setup pulls 50+ amps and well over 700W for nice performance in my Twister.

Some pictures of the kit contents below.

Doubletap
Old Nov 01, 2008, 01:35 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Anyone building one of these at the moment? I think this one is next up on the build list. I've settled on the pretty standard HET 2W-20/Wemo Mini (clone) power set, 50-60A ESC, BEC, 2250-2350 4S 25C packs, HXT-900 9g servos all around. I'm using these items mainly because they are already in my inventory. It will be without any LG; clean and light for hand launch/belly landing. Airframe feels pretty light; hopefully it will have good vertical performance as well as level speed.

Doubletap
Old Nov 01, 2008, 09:55 AM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
pretty standard HET 2W-20/Wemo Mini (clone) power set
New-guy question: What's a Wemo Mini (clone)? I'm familiar with the Wemo 480.
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
Old Nov 01, 2008, 10:48 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo
New-guy question: What's a Wemo Mini (clone)? I'm familiar with the Wemo 480.
Wemotec Minifan (480) is one of the most copied rotor designs; there are several out there including Himax and Haoye.

Doubletap
Old Nov 01, 2008, 06:28 PM
LARKS Lexington RC FLYERS
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Wish me luck Guys! After all the joy this model has put me through ( sarcasm intended) im finnally off to maiden here tommorrow. Hobby Lobby sent me not one, but two esc to choose from. Everything tested well on the ground. Did a full pack run at full throttle and all is good. No issues. Im amazed how she jumps to life on the stock power system from a dead stop. CG is at 150mm. balances perfect there. So the recommended CG would be nose heavy regardless. Have heard some say 165mm is ok. Dont trust it. Think a few have proved that with poor results unfortunately. Bill has had the right approach. Let ya all know soon if all goes well or no joy.
Did mix in Flaperons as well just in case to smooth out landing this bird.

God Bless

Redd Out!!!!!
PlaneNuttz is offline Find More Posts by PlaneNuttz
Old Nov 02, 2008, 01:33 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
I just found the bare airframe at eflypower on sale for $81.42! With EMS shipping to North America it came out to $113.62. I pulled the trigger as that is a good price IMO:

http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1709

Hurry up and order because their homepage says the sales are only good for 24hours. There were some other great deals also like the F-16 for $45.

Doubletap
Wish I had waited around for that. I got mine for $95 + $23 EMS from Infinity-Hobby.com. Only $5 more and I had it three weeks ago, but it was packaged terribly and I needed a new nose cone and canopy when it got to me, so that's another $5 to get replacements from H/L. Wing had a very mild indention in part of it, too, but nothing to get bent up over. Interesting that yours came with the USA star already on it ... my wings from Infinity-Hobby were both bare.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Nov 02, 2008, 01:54 AM
Family,RC Planes & Gym....
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
After seeing this plane in person.I want one really bad!! Problem here, I can't find the airframe kit only:-(. This guy showed up today with a brand spanking new F4, took off nice but, he had too much throw. Lost orientation and totalled the f-4. It broke my heart to see a beautiful plane in pieces :-(
vq35721 is offline Find More Posts by vq35721
Old Nov 02, 2008, 01:53 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Airframe only kit should be at www.infinity-hobby.com and www.eflypower.com (once it comes back in stock there).
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Nov 02, 2008, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict
Wish I had waited around for that. I got mine for $95 + $23 EMS from Infinity-Hobby.com. Only $5 more and I had it three weeks ago, but it was packaged terribly and I needed a new nose cone and canopy when it got to me, so that's another $5 to get replacements from H/L. Wing had a very mild indention in part of it, too, but nothing to get bent up over. Interesting that yours came with the USA star already on it ... my wings from Infinity-Hobby were both bare.
That's still a good deal! I don't know why each place charges different EMS unless some guy are padding the shipping charge; my EMS charge from Eflypower was $32.20. Sorry to hear about the damage to yours; I don't think I've every received one of these foamies 100% intact.

It's strange; someone took the liberty of peeling off that one decal (just that one) off my decal sheets and sticking it in place. Go figure.

Doubletap