HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
Got Monica?
Joined Sep 2008
70 Posts
how did you mold the nose? dont know about the f4 but the f18 has a super cheap, flimsy nose cone that id like to beef up a little. i already have a dent in it from my 'landing'
CH47FE is offline Find More Posts by CH47FE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:58 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
CH47FE,

I used the styro box the model came in! I cut 8 squares 3 inches by 3 inches and epoxied them together till I had a pile of glued foam. I put it on the spindle sander and made it into a cylinder and then glued it to the F-4. The rest was Dremel tool and block sanding till I got it to the shape I wanted. Took a few hours. Like one of the previous posts said, the green is hard to match. I tried but it looks better than nothing at all. That's all water based artist paint (acrylic).

CG is now about 5 inches from intersection of the wings and fuselage. That's 2.5 ounces of lead up at the furthest point forward. It feels heavy, but if it flys I will be happy. I will tape the last 0.5 oz in if I need to take it out. This may sound like a bit much, but I am not running any nose gear or servo. And, I tried it at the recommended CG. I may not get it flow too soon, but I will post when I do fly it.

LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:46 AM
Got Monica?
Joined Sep 2008
70 Posts
thats great man, good job. did you bust your rudder and aileron as well? just noticed they were white..
CH47FE is offline Find More Posts by CH47FE
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:49 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
"thats great man, good job. did you bust your rudder and aileron as well? just noticed they were white.."

hehehehehe, no that's the way they came. Navy standard you might say.

LBJ
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:39 PM
LARKS Lexington RC FLYERS
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
well its official, I got a piece of crap all the way. The esc is fried and one bullet connecter on the engine just snapped clean off the motor. so theres no way of knowing right now if the motor is good. All and all it wont make the flyin. Got this 8 days in advance for a 3 hr build and have over 12 hrs into it and its a no go. Totally over the jet. wish i had just sent it back now. The servos worked tho for how long i dont know.
PlaneNuttz is offline Find More Posts by PlaneNuttz
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:26 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
well its official, I got a piece of crap all the way. The esc is fried and one bullet connecter on the engine just snapped clean off the motor. so theres no way of knowing right now if the motor is good. All and all it wont make the flyin. Got this 8 days in advance for a 3 hr build and have over 12 hrs into it and its a no go. Totally over the jet. wish i had just sent it back now. The servos worked tho for how long i dont know.

OK, I'll give ya $60 for it.
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:26 AM
Family,RC Planes & Gym....
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick88ss
OK, I'll give ya $60 for it.
Outbidded you bud. $60.99 for it....
vq35721 is offline Find More Posts by vq35721
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:31 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
Snap out of it, adapt and overcome guy. I don't have a solution for a fried ESC short of replacing it, but the bullet connector is a 10 minute fix with a soldering iron. I'd almost be willing to bet it was the black motor lead as that's the one that snapped on mine when I tried unplugging it to remove the fan for balancing. (check my previous posts in this thread) You might not have it done for the fly-in (unless your local hobby shop has an esc) but you'll still have a flying Phantom when it's done. A much better option than tossing it in the trash after the investment.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:17 AM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
Snap out of it, adapt and overcome guy.
Yeah, but PlaneNuttz has every right to be upset and voice it. Here we go again with $250+ chunks of foam that require even more $$$, or time, or both, to bring up to airworthy condition.

This is unsatisfactory. We're talking about a stock, right out of the box new EDF. It's not like he's out there modding and experimenting. He shouldn't be forced into a position to have to snap out, adapt, and overcome in the first place.
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
Last edited by VF84Sluggo; Sep 26, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
I bought this jet because of its performance on the hobby lobby site. I had been talking with hobby lobby (Bobby Mills)to make sure i t would be available on the 12th and to make sure i could have it before this weekend as well. ( just in case there was a limited supply by the way) So I reserved mine and Bobby made sure I got it with time to spare.My intentions where to demo this on there behalf at the flyin which is no little deal by the way also here. I would love to see more people around in my area get into jets. specially the cost effetive type. That way there will be enough of us wanting to pave the grass green. Like my previous posts i regard hobby lobby as a top distributor and will still continue to do business with them. But this jet is not whats advertised. I may have the needle in the hay stack on the f-4 so far but the f-16 has even more bad ones. I'll get it fixed but im not sinking another dime in it. Hobby lobby will replace the esc. And once i fix the connector on the engine if it wont fire up they will replace that too. But i am very disappointed in this jet. I could of just spent the dough on my t-38 projects electronics and had it done for the flyin considering all the time i have put in the jet. Dont worry bill it will fly! And if it flys like crap i can assure all of you I will lawn dart it to be done with it. That way i can fit it in the trash can.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:22 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo
Yeah, but PlaneNuttz has every right to be upset and voice it. Here we go again with $250+ chunks of foam that require even more $$$, or time, or both, to bring up to airworthy condition.

This is unsatisfactory. We're talking about a stock, right out of the box new EDF. It's not like he's out there modding and experimenting. He shouldn't be forced into a position to have to snap out, adapt, and overcome in the first place.
I don't deny the right to be upset. I was just trying to prod him out of the funk and hopefully flying. The model does have some "issues" and his had even more than mine did although some were very similar. (nose gear mount and broken motor bullet connector) My esc didn't fry (yet) and I avoided the poor glue issue by electing not to use it. I still spent a few hours fiddling with the fan to get it balanced and running smoothly, and I'm still working on finding a happy balance point, too.
I just chalked it up as "another Chinese model" and going with it. (I've paid more with more issues. HET Rafale comes to mind) On the good side, it sounds like HL is going to replace the esc for him and even the motor if it proves to be bad. Shame he won't have it for the weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:28 AM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Here you go guys, check out the site. Save 30 bucks more and get a balancing charger with it. and available in army camo or blue angels or us navy paint schemes. http://www.bananahobby.com/1720.html
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
588 Posts
Well mine nosed in... 1st flight. set to factory cg and was VERY nose hight at launch. I'm taking it back to Santa's work shop for repairs.
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Sep 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2
Well mine nosed in... 1st flight. set to factory cg and was VERY nose hight at launch. I'm taking it back to Santa's work shop for repairs.
You must not have seen the other notes on cg in this thread. I put two more flights in on mine today with cg set at 5-1/4" back from the leading edge and still debating on going back any further than that. It will now hold inverted flight and lands a little bit better too.
No video of mine today but shot a short clip of somebody else that saw mine and bought one too. (I'll post the link later once it's uploaded to my website) We set his balance at the same 5-1/4" mark and it is capable of grass stip take off. I went to MCRC today to make sure it would work before taking it there next weekend for their Warbird Fly-in.
If you're in the area and have a warbird bring it on down next weekend. I'll be there with my F-4, A-10 and F-16's. (and a P-38 electric too)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
Ed Couch and I flew the F-4 today with the CG at 5.25 inch. It hand launched right off the bat and flew like a banshee. It had no bad manners and did not tail-walk like the Banana Hobby F-4. About 5 MPH faster than it too. I ran a Rhino 2175 4S battery all three flights since it seemed to great on the first flight. I flew it "in flight" for a few minutes. I'll do a flight from launch to landing next time out. Ed said it flew better on reduced throws or low rate on the ailerons. I reduced throws to 85 percent on the settings page for the ailerons.

I have written HL about my problems in the F-4. We will see what they come back with.

If the first flight at 6.5 inches CG could be erased from memory, I would be thrilled with the F-4. As it is, it is fixed and should be a good performer. I'll just have to move on and not think about it. Besides, I now have a solid nose I can load in the truck without special handling for that cheesey plastic nosecone. A Screamer motor would be impressive, I must say. But this one does not need it.