HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:42 AM
Family,RC Planes & Gym....
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunggorb
There's a foam hatch at the bottom. just unscrew the plastic holders and pullout. very easy

I saw that but, I was afraid to yank it out :-)
vq35721 is offline Find More Posts by vq35721
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:17 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,072 Posts
vq35721
If you pull the fan, don't forget to remove the top turtledeck cover (held on by magnets) and unplug from the ESC before pulling. (saying this since you're a self proclaimed noobie).
When I unplugged mine from the ESC the 1st time, one of the male bullets on the motor side didn't unplug and pulled off the wire instead. It's nothing that a little solder won't fix if it should happen to you. The fan itself was also spot glued into the fuselage but if you rock & work it a bit, it will break loose and come out.
After balancing I just plugged mine back in to the ESC without putting it back in the fuse and hand held it for the test runs while finding the sweet spot on the collet. Not a recommended practice, but it works. Keep fingers away from the inlet and point it away from you as well. I have had an impeller come off during run up and lanch across the room on at least one occasion. (not on this one, but it can happen).
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:15 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunggorb
arent the aileron servos exposed to much for a belly landing? main reason i dont want to remove the gear is due to the servo arms and stripping

Good luck on the maiden...

Rob
A pair of cut soup spoon covers like I used on my Corsair should do the job. Paint to match.

Or a pair of the aileron linkage covers from the bottom of this page:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servomount.htm#airscoop

Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
Rush
Joined May 2007
329 Posts
I'm having to much fun landing the plane on tarmac at the moment. those oleos work great! no more of the ugly bouncing around. once it lands it stays planted
bunggorb is offline Find More Posts by bunggorb
Old Sep 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
Last edited by VF84Sluggo; Sep 20, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
LARKS Lexington RC FLYERS
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Hello All,

Recieved the f-4 a couple of days ago and just opened it up today to start construction. To be honest and not overly critical i am very disappointed in the jets construction. I originally purchased this for a fly-in that i had limited time to complete and prepare for. looks like its been a waste of my time and money im sorry to say. For starters all the servos are loose and barely glued on. the tail servos move freely and seem to be only tacked glued. I would imagine for a newbie in jets this may of been overlooked and caused severe flutter or loss of plane. the wings dont mate properly due to the servos interfering and the rear tab on wing also dosent allow the wing to mate properly. The hinging was poorly done and barely glued as well. I had one wings aileron thats was so out of wack it was sad to see. I started to repair this by reglueing and aligning the aileron with the wing. (not an easy task by the way)This was the first thing i started on and noticed as soon as i started construction also. This caused me to go over the intire jet in which i still havent completed because of the already mentioned problems. I still dont know if the electronics works. To get this bird flying will require alot of rework and thats not what was advertised. And one more thing i noticed was the motor lead wires and esc wires where they connect are basically not protected and somewhat exposed which could cause a short inflight. Now i sit here and ponder if its worth doing all the repairs or returning it. This is not what i expected. Maybe I got one of the bad batches. But i didnt buy this for speed or expect it to be perfect. But i did expect to get what was advertised. It will require alot of rework and atleast 8 hrs of work just to get a solid airframe.( I did not purchase the jet for that) And i havent even started it up yet. For 260.00 its a good deal. Now i sit here and ponder do i fix it or send it back and show up jetless at my favorite flyin. By all means im not slamming hobby lobby. I have had many planes from them and they do a bang up job all the time. I highly regard them as a top distributor in the hobby. I know these things can happen. I guess im wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or im just one of the lucky winners. Maybe i should of just gotten the f-16. Only thing that steered me away from it was the performance was not that of the f-4 out of box. but hell if i got to make mods the the f-16 would of been worth the loss.

But its a beautiful jet but it will need alot of rework. Only thing i didnt like when it came to the fuse design was that the wings just glue to the side of fuse with no real support. So i dont recommend trying to get this bird to fast. the wings will just fold. you would have to reinforce the wings with a carbon rod and proballly do some glass work to. and rehinging will be a must at higher speeds.
PlaneNuttz is offline Find More Posts by PlaneNuttz
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
Hello All,

Recieved the f-4 a couple of days ago and just opened it up today to start construction. To be honest and not overly critical i am very disappointed in the jets construction. I originally purchased this for a fly-in that i had limited time to complete and prepare for. looks like its been a waste of my time and money im sorry to say. For starters all the servos are loose and barely glued on. the tail servos move freely and seem to be only tacked glued. I would imagine for a newbie in jets this may of been overlooked and caused severe flutter or loss of plane. the wings dont mate properly due to the servos interfering and the rear tab on wing also dosent allow the wing to mate properly. The hinging was poorly done and barely glued as well. I had one wings aileron thats was so out of wack it was sad to see. I started to repair this by reglueing and aligning the aileron with the wing. (not an easy task by the way)This was the first thing i started on and noticed as soon as i started construction also. This caused me to go over the intire jet in which i still havent completed because of the already mentioned problems. I still dont know if the electronics works. To get this bird flying will require alot of rework and thats not what was advertised. And one more thing i noticed was the motor lead wires and esc wires where they connect are basically not protected and somewhat exposed which could cause a short inflight. Now i sit here and ponder if its worth doing all the repairs or returning it. This is not what i expected. Maybe I got one of the bad batches. But i didnt buy this for speed or expect it to be perfect. But i did expect to get what was advertised. It will require alot of rework and atleast 8 hrs of work just to get a solid airframe.( I did not purchase the jet for that) And i havent even started it up yet. For 260.00 its a good deal. Now i sit here and ponder do i fix it or send it back and show up jetless at my favorite flyin. By all means im not slamming hobby lobby. I have had many planes from them and they do a bang up job all the time. I highly regard them as a top distributor in the hobby. I know these things can happen. I guess im wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or im just one of the lucky winners. Maybe i should of just gotten the f-16. Only thing that steered me away from it was the performance was not that of the f-4 out of box. but hell if i got to make mods the the f-16 would of been worth the loss.

But its a beautiful jet but it will need alot of rework. Only thing i didnt like when it came to the fuse design was that the wings just glue to the side of fuse with no real support. So i dont recommend trying to get this bird to fast. the wings will just fold. you would have to reinforce the wings with a carbon rod and proballly do some glass work to. and rehinging will be a must at higher speeds.

I'll give you $50 bucks for it

Just take your time and get'er done
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
LMAO!!!!!!!

You wish!
Old Sep 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneNuttz
Hello All,

Recieved the f-4 a couple of days ago and just opened it up today to start construction. To be honest and not overly critical i am very disappointed in

You should be glad you're not buiilding a Sapac JAS39 Gripen. Then I'd have some sympathy for you.

I got two flights on my F-4 today and managed to draft somebody to shoot video of the 2nd one. Once it finishes uploading, should be here.
http://manatee-rc.com/Vids/09-08/Phantom.wmv (9 megs) or
http://manatee-rc.com/Vids/09-08/PhantomL.wmv (29 megs)

I started out very nose heavy (about 4-3/4" from LE on the maiden) and removed enough security lead to get it back to 5" for the 2nd flight. Still nose heavy there too. Maybe the manual was right at 165mm, but I'm going to wrk my way back to that point a little at a time.
The 1st flight was so nose heavy that it wouldn't even hold inverted flight. I tried it and wound up turning it into a split s before it hit the ground. Didn't even attempt it on the 2nd flight as it was still really heavy on the sticks.
Still a great looking plane in the air though and think I probably sold about 3 of them for Hobby Lobby to the locals there. Now if I could just get a comission check.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2008, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Nice video....... Spent lunch realizing im just going to do the mods . After seeing your video it sure looks to have plenty of thrust....... if it didnt that 3 point bounce ill call it would of been worse. Glad to see it could vert somewhat from that. very impressive for a stock power system. Did you have problems with the front landing gear being larger then the mounting hole? I will have to drill that out as well. Well i chose to use the included glue to mount the wing halves. since theres no info on the glue im only doing one side at a time until it cures well enough for me to turn it on its opposite side for the other half. I will glass the joints seam after that with 3/4oz cloth and epoxy. then ill just paint black wing deck stripe to cover the glass. For under 260 shipped its a bargain no doubt. But i dont think i,ll buy another one considering the rework to get it right in my eyes. I'll just Wait around for a good kit to show up. Would be great tho if they did offer this in a kit and not part assembled. But you get what you pay for thats the sweet truth. Thanks for the cg note as well. Considering earlier threads i was planning on going with 5 back. after your reply and flight video i think you are the right path.

By the way, Have you had a look into the f-16 yet? Just wondering your thought there.
Last edited by PlaneNuttz; Sep 21, 2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,072 Posts
Before you start dilling that nose gear mount, pull it off and look at the other end. For some reason they put it on upside down at the factory. Mine was the same way. They had the large hole on the little bitty wire that runs to the servo and the small one down to make us westerners scratch our heads and say what the

I looked at the 16 but didn't like that it had elevators instead of flying stabs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Thanks Bill. I will take a look at that once everything glued has cured.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:10 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
I need one of these.... !
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
you where right on the money Bill. they had it backwards. Many thanks................
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:53 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
mine just dioesnt want to land very well. it wont glide worth a darn and backing off on the throttle below half just makes it start diving pretty hard. It also bounces alot one the runway. The 2nd landing attempt today, the thing bounced rather hard after a few smaller hops and pushed the nose straight up...all while no throttle. Tried to save it with jamming full throttle and actually had it hovering for a bit, but could not pull out and it fell over and caused some severe damage.
So far, Im pleased with how it flies in the air, but dont like its landing habits. This was supposed to be a nice easy flier, but its not been that at all.
Maybe somethings fouled up on mine. BTW, it only took about 30 mins to build it as the servos and such were glued in well and the wings mated up fine.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq