HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
I've got mine assembled far enough to check out the thrust. It seems like it will give good performance right out of the box. Should even hand launch fine. I wouldn't sell the F-4 short till we get some field reports. I will know how it flies by this weekend, I would guess, at this point. Not much left to do - glue the wings on and paint the pilot. I did add 3/4 ounce of lead to the nose to replace the weight of the nose gear and servo. Looking forward to seeing it fly. I expect it to fly as well as the F-5E which did pretty well. LBJ
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Sep 2002
121 Posts
[QUOTE=LBJ]I've got mine assembled far enough to check out the thrust./QUOTE]

Hi LBJ. Can you or anyone tell me if the stock motor is indeed an OUTRUNNER as stated here?: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f4.htm
Bat21 is offline Find More Posts by Bat21
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:30 AM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
It's an outrunner, but the whole assembly is shrouded by the fan housing so you really can't see the outside turning. It seems to have a brute growl/whine. Pretty wicked sounding. There are a few rough spots on the lower end, vibration wise, but I suspect those won't be working during the flight. Once it gets going, Katie-bar-the-door!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:50 AM
Rush
Joined May 2007
329 Posts
some more pics. oleos added.

bunggorb is offline Find More Posts by bunggorb
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:28 AM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Sep 2002
121 Posts
Thanks LBJ, for the information that it IS an outrunner.
Bat21 is offline Find More Posts by Bat21
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:07 AM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Bill,

Where are you flying at? I'm flying at Sarasota Silent Flyers and Sarasota RC Squadron.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
I eyeballed the F-16 a bit too. Got turned off by it having elevators instead of stabilators though. (Not to mention that I have three 16's already) Going totally off topic here with a suggestion for ya. Grab a HP F-16 (airframe only kit $64.95) then drop a 6904 and 3w in it. Mine has been clocked with a radar gun at 122 on this setup.
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:41 AM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
583 Posts
Got mine yesterday! I've put her together but for the life of me I don't see what he control throws should be. What is every one using?? Thanks for any help. Robin
cmk-2 is online now Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:43 AM
Rush
Joined May 2007
329 Posts
I'm getting both.. the F16 should be here next week. Its my first f16 and it'll get a wemo mini fan, medusa 28-40-3400 and a turnigy 60amp esc... maybe about 900watts?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:49 AM
Rush
Joined May 2007
329 Posts
if you're using stock servos, then maximum throws are fine. i just run expos on it. Ailerons about 15% and elevators at 20%. then i have high rate set to about 10% and 10% respectively. I installed a rudder and i run about 10% expo, with full throws.

The stock servos, if they're anything like the ones i got, arent much good. to weak really. better to throw them out immediately and build it right. they certainly wont last very long with the speed from the HET fan.

Check the glue on the tail section. I removed the tail section and reattached using 5 min epoxy. my buddy's tail section came off after a particular hard landing and i think some else had that happen in the earlier posts here...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ
It's an outrunner, but the whole assembly is shrouded by the fan housing so you really can't see the outside turning. It seems to have a brute growl/whine. Pretty wicked sounding. There are a few rough spots on the lower end, vibration wise, but I suspect those won't be working during the flight. Once it gets going, Katie-bar-the-door!
I pulled the fan back out of mine again tonight for one last attempt to balance it. It still vibated, but then I remebered a little something Robert from EJF told me about the collet type adapters a long time ago.
Somtimes they don't seat quite right. Took a few tries to find the "sweet spot" but I now have a smooth running fan that I'm not ashamed to take out in public.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:05 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop
Bill,

Where are you flying at? I'm flying at Sarasota Silent Flyers and Sarasota RC Squadron.

John
Hi John
I know Ernie and have been out there to the Silent Flyers field once. (long ride from my house) I mostly fly at MCRC and SRQ. Hit one one week, and the other the next. That way I don't annoy either club quite as bad.
Will most likely be at SRQ Sunday morning to take advantage of the paved runway for the test flight on this one. (weather permitting)
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:37 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
Got it put together. Will fly it Sat I hope, or Ed Couch will anyway. Get it trimmed out. It will be on a grass runway so no gear. I cut both sides of the intake splitter off since they would be the first casualty on the grass. Don't look too bad. Williams Bros 1/12 jet pilot. Added a finger rail for launch right on the CG. Not much there but just something to toss it straight. I checked it on the suggested CG at 165 mm which is just about 6.5 inches. It looks like it has some good nose down droop. I added 3/4 ounce lead to the nose under the nose cone to allow for no servo or NLG, plus a bit for good luck. Control throws are anybody's guess. We can do an eyeball test at the field before flight.

Last edited by LBJ; Sep 18, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:28 AM
Family,RC Planes & Gym....
Santa Ana/92705
Joined May 2008
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
I pulled the fan back out of mine again tonight for one last attempt to balance it. It still vibated, but then I remebered a little something Robert from EJF told me about the collet type adapters a long time ago.
Somtimes they don't seat quite right. Took a few tries to find the "sweet spot" but I now have a smooth running fan that I'm not ashamed to take out in public.

How do you pull the motor and the fan? Sorry :-( NooBie on EDFs
vq35721 is offline Find More Posts by vq35721
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:29 AM
Rush
Joined May 2007
329 Posts
arent the aileron servos exposed to much for a belly landing? main reason i dont want to remove the gear is due to the servo arms and stripping

Good luck on the maiden...

Rob
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:33 AM
Rush
Joined May 2007
329 Posts
There's a foam hatch at the bottom. just unscrew the plastic holders and pullout. very easy