two AR6100 receivers (SW Version 1.6) I get a reconnect
in less than a second. The AR500 does report a power interruption
via the blinking LED.
horaceh is offline Find More Posts by horaceh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,026 Posts
I picked up one of these AR500 units today for use in a carbon/kevlar pod in a sailplane. I'm looking to see if the nds of both antennas need to be poking out of the pod to get full range, or if I can get away with only having the longer lead exit the fuse.

Anyone been flying these in carbon podded sailplanes yet?

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Apparantly no one on this foum has figured that out yet
-the proof is in trying to simultaneously bind a 7000 rx and a 9000rx
one OR the other will operate --but not both.
IF you try to bind sequencially those two - the last one bound- will operate correctly the prior one will not operate .
The various rx AND the tx use can also make some differences.
Nothing unsafe - just DIFFERENT.

The 6100rx for example will only bind in SMARTSAFE -using a X9303 - so when a failsafe condition occurs - all channels HOLD except motor which goes to LOW setting. The DSM (first version SPEKTRUM NOT DSM2 ) is a default setting in all I have seen - meaning - if you operate the DSM2 TX with bind button engaged -yet NO DSM2 type rx ON-- -the TX will default to the DSM code which worked ONLY with the original 6000 rx.
Anyone care to refute this?
May I point out that for model match to work, the transmitter has to be able to identify the receiver by some kind of an ID. Otherwise, how would it know which receiver is in which plane. That requires an ID to be transmitted to the radio.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
I don't think that is correct. The Tx does not "know which Rx is in which plane" but rather, using that terminology, the Rx knows which Tx+model_memory combination it is bound to.

For ModelMatch to work the GUID sent from the Tx to the Rx at bind-time has to be unique for the Tx and current model memory. No information needs to be recorded in the Tx about the Rx except whether it is DSM or DSM2. Thus there is no problem binding multiple Rx to the same Tx/ModelMemory so long as you do it one at a time (ie don't power up more than one Rx at a time when binding).
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,003 Posts
[--
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Sep 15, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
Actually the x9303 and 12x knows if the receiver is 1024 or 2048 resolution and adjusts accordingly.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
Actually the x9303 and 12x knows if the receiver is 1024 or 2048 resolution and adjusts accordingly.
Yes -- and the DX7 --when it sees a 921 (9ch rx)--
- is different than the intrepretation of the X9303.
I will stop there .---
All the combos play well with each other but some of the combos have slightly different things happening.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,026 Posts
Toby writes "I eagerly awaited 5:00pm, the time the AR500 would be unboxed and ready to purchase at my local hobby shop ... until I spotted this thread. I fly a sailplanes & discus launch gliders that need independent aileron output. The most competitive gliders use elevator to aileron mixing for total control of the trailing edge (reflex/camber). In this mode the ailerons switch from going in opposite directions to traveling in the same direction ... we absolutely love this for thermal flying. Flaperon also allows us to slowing to a crawl for landing. I am going to purchase the ar6200 for my new DLG. Not a big deal, just that the ar500 offers a lighter weight and a more compact setup for extremely tight fuses (w/o a satellite too!). With that said I will be buying a ar6200..... "

Well I purchased the AR500 with the same usage in mind, for my DLGs. I too need to have independent trim settings and flaperon use of ailerons on channels 1 and 2(JR 9303 sailplane mode). Tonight I tested it and it works. But only in the sailplane mode. In this instance, the ailerons don't act as if they are on a Y harness - they work independently! This could be the new receiver of choice for all X9303 handlaunch flyers!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:36 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6,003 Posts
You skipped a point here - which can confuse some
The Y harness setup on the AR500- is a ACRO mode thing involving ch 2 and ""6" also named aileron.
In Sailplane you are using seperate channels - Throttle and Aileron.
Howeve - in flying two of the 500 rx on Sat n Sunday- Ifound the range to be - as far as I can see-- also range check on the 9303 greatly exceeded the recommended test procedure figures.
My "sacrificial lamb" large foamie quit at 200 yards out -at low altitude on my suicide range check. which may sound silly - but I did it over a high field grass area and the damage is easily repairable except for the busted $2.00 prop-
The range check button severely cuts output power and I just HAD to know how good the rx really was.
It certaianly seems full range to me
Last edited by richard hanson; Oct 30, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Richard, I appreciate your clarification of the "y-harness" vs sep channels of the ar500. It should be helpful for those who find it and were going to buy the rx thinking it had separate aileron channels.

I do however think the manual and the packaging is very misleading in this department - especially for those of us less techinally savvy.

The package and manual says, "Dual Aileron Channels" and "Note: The AR500 features dual aileron channels (channel 2 & 6) making it convenient when using aircraft with two separate aileron servos, no Y-Harness or mixing will be needed." To me that indicates dual (or separate) channels, instead of duplicate ones.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
Richard, I appreciate your clarification of the "y-harness" vs sep channels of the ar500. It should be helpful for those who find it and were going to buy the rx thinking it had separate aileron channels.

I do however think the manual and the packaging is very misleading in this department - especially for those of us less techinally savvy.

The package and manual says, "Dual Aileron Channels" and "Note: The AR500 features dual aileron channels (channel 2 & 6) making it convenient when using aircraft with two separate aileron servos, no Y-Harness or mixing will be needed." To me that indicates dual (or separate) channels, instead of duplicate ones.
Hi,
I don't think there is any intention to mislead anyone... the AR500 is marketed as a 5 channel sport Rx.

Personally, I would prefer the consistent use of Dual Aileron Ports... instead of Channels.

I think the web copy does a good job of making it clear. (Perhaps the radio team had more time to perfect the message here?)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMAR500

---------------------------------
Overview
The AR500 sport aircraft full range 5-channel receiver is perfect for any of your sport applications where 5-channels or less is required. This receiver has a unique aileron configuration which has an additional aileron port. This allows you to plug in a left and a right aileron servo into the receiver independently without using a Y-harness.

Specs
Type:Full Range Sport Receiver
# of Channels:5
ModulationSM2
Band:2.4GHz
Dimensions (WxLxH):21.6 x 30.1 x 12.3mm
Weight:7.0 Grams
Voltage Range:3.5 9.6V
------------------------------------------
FWIW, we have been Developing Parkzone Radians with the Rx. It is 2m span. We have taken it further away than is in the comfort zone to see, with no issues (On the EU Tx power settings). Nice sport solution with path diversity, frequency diversity (MultiLink) and multiple antenna orientations.

We also have a ton of time in these in PKZ Corsairs.
It does have quick recconect. I am not sure its relative speed compared to other Rx's by SPM, but it is quite fast, and does blink the light if it is 'browned out'. (We did a lot of testing on this ourselves, and it recovers very well).

Hope this is helpful.
Have Fun,
David
Horizon Hobby

Note, I also sought to clarify this issue earlier in this very thread!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=51
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Last edited by dribbe; Sep 16, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:52 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horaceh
Has anyone in this newsgroup used the new Spektrum AR500 full
range receiver yet? I have tested the "QuickConnect with
Brownout Detection" feature and it appears that my receiver
does not have this capability. I tested it by switching off the
receiver power and the restoring power without turning off
my 12X transmitter. It takes several seconds to recover instead
of the advertised 40 ms. Using the same test procedure with
two AR6100 receivers (SW Version 1.6) I get a reconnect
in less than a second. The AR500 does report a power interruption
via the blinking LED.
That's very odd behavior. Anyone else confirm this one yet?

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2008, 04:32 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,724 Posts
No. I can't confirm 40 msecs, but I can confirm that it comes back up within a quick twitch of the (analog) servos.

I will add that if you turn on the RX before the Tx, and then cycle Rx power, the first one is not quick and does not result in flashing. I have a theory why but since no one ever does that , it doesn't matter.
teamdavey is online now Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:32 AM
Ahh...the smell of electrons!
Finger Lakes in NY
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
I think you misunderstand the differences between DSM and DSM2, both of which use two channels. It was established and confirmed over a year ago that DSM2 Rx transmit a low power signal during binding, there is no uncertaintly or doubt about this behaviour. Its purpose, as stated above, is to inform the Tx of the capabilities of the Rx. The absence of this signal is what allows the Tx to identify a DSM(1) Rx (AR6000 or BR6000).
I'm new to Spektrum technology and I misunderstood how modelmatch works. I thought from reading this thread, that since the RX transmits a signal back to the TX, that it automatically selected the correct model on the TX. And I thought, "Wow what a great feature!". But that's not how modelmatch works - it merely prevents signals being transmitted when the wrong model is selected. My point is, if there is a transmission back from the RX, then why couldn't it transmit the model and why couldn't the TX automatically select the proper model. I think I'd buy that transmitter...
scottyo is offline Find More Posts by scottyo
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:25 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo
I'm new to Spektrum technology and I misunderstood how modelmatch works. I thought from reading this thread, that since the RX transmits a signal back to the TX, that it automatically selected the correct model on the TX. And I thought, "Wow what a great feature!". But that's not how modelmatch works - it merely prevents signals being transmitted when the wrong model is selected. My point is, if there is a transmission back from the RX, then why couldn't it transmit the model and why couldn't the TX automatically select the proper model. I think I'd buy that transmitter...
Cool idea, but as far as I know, this only happens at binding. After that it is the radio that controls things, the receiver is not transmitting after the binding process is complete.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr