HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:12 PM
Paoli, PA
Joined Jun 2008
118 Posts
Discussion
Comparison Needed: Trex 450, CopterX450, HDX450, Mini Titan E325, Belt-CP, Blade 400

There are so many popular 450 size helis. It is really hard to decide which one to get. Can anybody knowledable on these models please comment on the characteristics of each model?

Trex 450:
CopterX450: Trex 450 clone.
HDX450: Trex 450 clone?
Mini Titan E325:
Belt-CP: entry level 450 heli.
Blade 400:
sonicserve is offline Find More Posts by sonicserve
Last edited by sonicserve; Jul 17, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:40 PM
Glitch
kauai, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2006
534 Posts
First off, what is your experience level with collective pitch helis? All are good helis, some are harder to set up and fly. Are you starting from scratch or do you already have stuff like radio, chargers or lipos? My first recommendation is to consider parts support. If you have access to a LHS and they support the brand you go with that helps ALOT. If you pick a brand you need to mail order every broken part (and you will break stuff) that can be a drag. Everybody here has different tastes and recommendations but overall this forum has the best info out there. Good luck and ask away.

SS
Stephen Shioi is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Shioi
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:32 PM
Paoli, PA
Joined Jun 2008
118 Posts
I am beginner on RC Heli. Still learning on nose-in hovering using a HBFP.

Although Belt CP RTF has the lowest price ($200), Blade 400 RTF ($400) is not significant higher in price considering that it comes with Spectrum DX6i radio + receiver, which costs about $200.
sonicserve is offline Find More Posts by sonicserve
Last edited by sonicserve; Jul 17, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
I started off like you, with no electronics or radio. Go for an all-in-one kit. Don't bother with high end servos or gyro. Right now you just need something that gets off the ground. Most companies sell RTF packages.
rabidcanary is offline Find More Posts by rabidcanary
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:29 PM
Heli Steve
Ft. Pierce Florida
Joined Dec 2007
866 Posts
Blade-400 is a good heli

I got the Blade-400 and it's a great heli for the money and VERY cheap to fix and it has plenty of power and it will be a long while before you will ask for more than it can deliver. I have over 400 flights on mine, crashed once on the 32nd flight due to contacts drying up. Just buy some extra gearsets for the servos as they WILL strip if you crash. The gyro is a little tempermental with temp change and the speed control has been known to crap out on occasion and If you get the Blade-400, you need to set it up from scratch to make it perfect. Just because it says ready to fly doesn't mean it is going to fly well or right, especially for somebody new. I have a new friend that bought a Blade-400 and he crashed it 15 times in one month and he was ready to throw it in the trash when I met him at the hobby shop. I had him come over on sunday and we rebuilt the heli and set it up from the ground up "took all day" and after I had everything set up like mine, he is flying now without crashing. Also the Spectrum radio is awsome, no more worrying about interference. When I got my first heli I put 20 flights on it before I bought the Spectrum radio and I had several glitches during those flights. Now I have 4 helicopters, all with Spectrum radios and I have not had one glitch of the 500 flights combined between the four. Just my 2cents
Steve Klyce is offline Find More Posts by Steve Klyce
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:01 AM
Glitch
kauai, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2006
534 Posts
I totally agree with what Steve Klyce said. Great heli for the money and it will be a long time before you out grow this machine. Parts support and other knowledgable fliers with the same heli will help plenty. I have 2 Blades and they are really easy to fix. Theres not a single original part one either of my Blades...oh I take that back. The velcro battery strap is original. I've even broken my TX. Don't ask.

SS
Stephen Shioi is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Shioi
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:31 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Once again, get a Blade 400, comes with quality stuff for a amazing price.
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:48 AM
Joined Sep 2007
114 Posts
A belt CP is a nice helicopter, but you have to put in a lot of work to make it nice. Out of the box it can be a dog.

If you want to tinker it's an option, if you're a luddite go for something that will work first time.

Edited to add: I fly a Belt CP and love it.

McF
mcfinnigan_za is offline Find More Posts by mcfinnigan_za