HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,076 Posts
Build Log
NATTY K post build log

Named after my first kid. This is the first wooden boat I ever built.

20-25 years ago I was driving down Vanowen and someone had parked a 1939 Chris~Craft Deluxe in a driveway with a for sale sign on the trailer hitch. Dream boat. This beauty had spent too many years searching for cover. It was dry as a bone and every stick of wood was splintered and needed replacement. All the hardware was gone. Boy did I want this runabout. A thousand bucks, and Id be in the water in no time. Well that didnt happen. So instead I got a model. It was a Laughing Whale runabout. A generic mahogany boat that was capable of RC power. Cool.

I started building the model as per the instructions and all was going swimmingly. Sheet on frame, 1/16 mahogany, no sub planking. Got the hull done and now it was time to get the deck down. While flipping through a R/C magazine, Hot Boats (a 1990 publication from Scale Ship Modeler), I came across an article featuring a runabout called Stripper. I had no idea someone could build a boat like this. My build just got a bit more challenging.

I started by getting new mahogany planks for the deck. I used basswood to simulate caulking, and finished all the wood with Floquil paint. Waterproofed the inside with epoxy. Using an old purse I found at a thrift shop, my mother sewed the upholstery. I scratch built about 80% of the fittings from brass strips, rod & bar stock. Everything but the steering wheel, bowlight, clamshell vents, jacksaff mount/light, cleats/chocks & dual horns. All got triple chrome plated.

I purchased a Kroker SeaWasp 12 to power the runabout. They were still available from International Marine Exchange. It made this 30 runabout fly.

About a year after completion I dropped a plastic 35mm can that had a roll of film in it and punched a hole in the port coverboard. I repaired the hole as best I could, but the magic was gone. I put Natty K in a box, where shes been for at least 16 years, and got a Dumas 1930 24 runabout for my next build.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Jul 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: wordage...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Beautiful!!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:38 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,591 Posts
Nice, very nice!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
There's just something about a wood boat and yours is one of the best. Great job! Thanks for the photos.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,143 Posts
Quote:
This is the first wooden boat I ever built.
Quote:
I scratch built about 80% of the fittings from brass strips, rod & bar stock.
1st boat........

Natural born master model builder.

Looks great Pat. You gonna float it again?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,076 Posts
Thanks gents...

I think it's gonna stay in the box.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:18 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,727 Posts
WOODYBOB- Were the fittings on the boat included in the kit from Laughing Whale or are they after market. The windshield brackets look to be first notch in quality. The scoops on the deck look like they were stamped metal also really nice.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
I think it's gonna stay in the box.
That just isn't right!!!

I can see it in the in the pictures...

The boat is saying "I want to get wet!"
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:07 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
WOODYBOB- Were the fittings on the boat included in the kit from Laughing Whale or are they after market. The windshield brackets look to be first notch in quality. The scoops on the deck look like they were stamped metal also really nice.
Frank,

I don't think I used any of the supplied fittings. The steering wheel, (leather cover made by my first mate), cleats/chocks, vents, all came from I.M.E., bow light, and jack staff base from Bluejacket, jackstaff from M.A.C.K. and everything else, except the dual horn, (a buddy made it), & the mini piano hinges, I made. Step plate frames, (rubber is from a rubber stamp store), windshield frame, windshield, gas cap, cutwater, fairlead, rub rails, transom binders, dash panel, handles, liftrings, exhaust pipe, and hatch frame. It all started out as raw stock brass.
Last edited by woodybob; Jul 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: wordage...