SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
Discussion
Nitro-to-gas conversion

what would i need to convert a nitro engine to a gas burner (besides spark plugs and an ignition system)?
joenavy120885 is offline Find More Posts by joenavy120885
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:32 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,392 Posts
A needle bearing for the big (bottom) conrod end is a must. Preferably for the top end too.

A gas carb.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:29 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
What size engine are you planning on converting ?
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,312 Posts
You would also need fuel tubing and stopper on the fuel tank that was compatible with gasoline. The silicone tubing and type of stopper used on the tank will swell and become useless in very short order when in contact with gasoline or any petroleum based fuel.
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
725 Posts
You don't need a needle bearing rod. Just make sure you use an adequate amount of oil in your fuel. Glow fuel works well. My OS 300 Twin was converted to ignition and the only mods was the ignition system itself. I run it on standard glow fuel with castor@20%. The rods are stock and it has at least 100 hours on it. None of the old pre-war ignition gasoline engines had a rods with needle bearings and they worked quite well. Ohlsson made zillions of them and zillions are still operating. I have the Harris conversion but there are several other good ones. You may have to change the needle size but usually small engine carbs work satisfactorily.
usna71 is offline Find More Posts by usna71
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:15 PM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usna71
You don't need a needle bearing rod. Just make sure you use an adequate amount of oil in your fuel. Glow fuel works well. My OS 300 Twin was converted to ignition and the only mods was the ignition system itself. I run it on standard glow fuel with castor@20%. The rods are stock and it has at least 100 hours on it. None of the old pre-war ignition gasoline engines had a rods with needle bearings and they worked quite well. Ohlsson made zillions of them and zillions are still operating. I have the Harris conversion but there are several other good ones. You may have to change the needle size but usually small engine carbs work satisfactorily.
You converted it and still run on glow fuel?? I'm confused.......
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:06 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,298 Posts
An ignition engine can be run on many fuels. Regular glow fuel is one. I run my Enya 46-4C on methanol. I've run it on E85 and I will be trying other fuels.

Gasoline can be run in these engines however you can't run the common 50:1 oil ratio people think of. Some have have been using 16:1 with good results. Four strokes are much better in this regard. The oil isn't constantly being washed out of the engine so a lower oil ratio is acceptable.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
725 Posts
It's converted to ignition. That means it uses a spark plug, not a glow plug. I also have an old Ohlsson 60 that I run on glow fuel. It uses a 3 to 1 methanol to castor oil fuel. That's 25% oil and 75% methanol. They will also run quite well on Coleman lantern fuel which is naptha, the same thing as lighter fluid. Just because something is an ignition engine and uses spark plugs doesn't mean it has to run on gasoline.

The old pre-war 2 cycles ran on a mixture of 2 parts white gasoline and one part 70 wt motor oil. That's 33% oil.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:08 PM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
Ok....I guess I didn't think about the ingredients in Glow being flammable....I was just thinking of the catalytic reaction.

Thanks gkamysz and usna71 for clearing that up!!
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
725 Posts
But of course
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
i don't have any particular engine that i'm going to modify yet but it will be a 4-stroke, possibly the O.S. IL-300 if i can afford it.
Last edited by joenavy120885; Jul 17, 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
725 Posts
If you can afford the engine you can afford the conversion. That engine was really designed more as a collector piece than an engine to be used in an airplane.

It cost me about $200 to have my 300 Twin converted to ignition. An inline 4 will be a bunch more. The twin fires both plugs every up stroke but you can't do that with the 4 cylinder so timing it becomes a serious consideration.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:48 AM
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
the distributor and timing is easy, i just have to figure out the coil and power source
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
And what about mixing some gas with methanol.Do you still have to modify the carb and fuellines?
I want to modify a FS40 to ignition and recall someone mentioned the possibility to mix some gas with the methanol to improve fuel efficiency.

I don't know what ratio to mix the gas with the methanol and assume the oil content has to be the same as if it was running on straight methanol.
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
On my GAS/GLOW weedeater conversion i run 1/3 10%nitro/10%oil mixed with 2/3 gasoline and use an OS F 4 stroke glow plug, no ignition, since the weedeater has needle bearings on the con rod the oil in the glow fuel ends up coming out to 3% when mixed with the gas which is plenty, i would suggest keeping the oil ratio the same as usual on a glow engine or even a little more since the engine will run hotter on a gas/glow mix, standard tygon fuel tubing works fine for gas/glow.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V