Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:27 AM
Johnson City, New York
Joined Mar 2008
2,275 Posts
Discussion
Stock HBFP thread for beginners *Q & A*

'S

LOL

Please keep all posts STOCK HBFP related. We want this to stay beginner friendly so please "DO NOT" post about "PERFORMANCE MODS", use the other thread for that, thank you.

So as most of us have discussed, the other HBFP thread has gone a bit overboard with modding and isn't very beginner friendly. So for those of us still running stock set-ups or beginners who just got a HBFP or are thinking about getting one, this is where you want to be. Just basic disussions and friendly help for those who need it.

--------------Basic info----------------
Main Rotor Diameter: 520mm / 20.5 in
Fuselage Length: 510mm / 20.1 in
All-up-weight: 290g / 10.23 oz
Motor Type: 370 Brushed
Power: 8.4V 650mAh Ni-MH
RC: 4-Channel, 2 Micro Servos
----------------------------------------

ESky website - http://www.twf-sz.com/english/products.asp?prodid=0003

This R/C model is not a toy!
RC model helicopters are not toys and is not suitalble for children under 14 years, Keep it away from children. Carefully read the instruction before any use, if you are beginner, its advisable to be assisted by an experienced helecopter pilot (copied from the ESky website)

My WebSite - http://mysite.verizon.net/bizwptdb/id8.html

Wikipedia Link - http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...tle=HoneyBeeFP

Slyster's HBFP Bible - http://www.slyster.com/heli/hbfpbible.html

My "old" HBFP beginners guide videos - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...59769F0CEDB61B

The original HBFP threads
Part 1.........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458261

Part 2.........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657500

Part 3.........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826446

CA and Thread fix........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...read+Prevention

See What a Stock HBFP can do!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6vtf5ibcJg
nuttcaze is offline Find More Posts by nuttcaze
Last edited by nuttcaze; Oct 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:27 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
Mods Sticky This!
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Last edited by Slyster; Jul 17, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:30 AM
Johnson City, New York
Joined Mar 2008
2,275 Posts
To the beginners - As you learn and break parts and replace parts, always save you broken parts, there have been many times I have been saved because of being able to fix my heli with a combination of old and broken parts. We will have some of those fixes listed in the pages below, you'll be surprised how much you can fix on these helis (think MacGuyver)

Last edited by nuttcaze; Jul 19, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:12 AM
Johnson City, New York
Joined Mar 2008
2,275 Posts
For those asking/curious about what spares to have on hand

Heres the most commonly broken parts

-Center hub (at least 1)
-Flybar's (come in 2 packs)
-Rotor Head (cheap, can be fixed when they break, but good to have spares, lots)
-Outer paddle control frame (small ball links that can break easily)
-Main blades (just one pair, they don't break very often though)
-Main Frame set (an $8 part)
-Ring Like push rods (really cheap buy as many as you can)
-Landing skids (beginners should start with super skids, very durable, but stock skids are nice too, just weak)
-Servo Linkage set (there are really small links that if not treated nice will break easily)
-tail rotor (there are small nubs that break off in bad crashes, can be reused, but its easier to have a new one)
-Spare tail motor (sometimes they last forever, sometimes they last for 5 flights)
- Tail rotor gear (hit the tail on something and the gear can break, not often but possible)
Last edited by nuttcaze; Jul 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:20 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
I'll be sure its in the bible.. tx nut!
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:00 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2004
255 Posts
Thanks you two. I hadn't come across Slysters bible before. Lots of info in there that I haven't seen before (including to my embaressment the 'how to solder' video which I need to watch!)

I have been keeping up with the 'V3' thread for a few weeks but most of it is over my head. 'Woodies', 'Slo-Max', 'DD tail', 'M24s', 'Separates'. ???

I'm currently practicing side-in hovering and am completely happy with my (2) HBFPs. Only minor issue is the tag wag on extreme throttle changes but I can live with that.

It's usually the case that the people who are the most obsessed with their hobby will post the most often and make the most mods. So it's only natural that the other thread should be so huge and full of mod posts. But it would be nice to have a thread for us 'more simple' folk who are more or less happy with the stock HBFP, and maybe one that's a bit less fast paced!

And it would be great if we could keep this thread friendly and not too cluttered with troll and flame posts :-)
matt28 is offline Find More Posts by matt28
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:22 AM
Johnson City, New York
Joined Mar 2008
2,275 Posts

For easier veiwing of the forums, consider changing your personal options so that your computer will display more posts per page (up to 100, the best seting), simply click on "My RCRoups", the next page it brings you to, you will see a tab on the left side that says edit options, click that and in the 3rd box down you will find thread options, choose the number of posts to display there. Click save at the bottom of the screen and you're all set, if you have a slow connection a lower number will be better, with med to fast connections go for 75 or 100 posts per page. Life will be easier
Last edited by nuttcaze; Jul 19, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:17 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2004
255 Posts
Ok, here's a good newbie question: what's the best way to balance the blades? Last time I tried to bend them I ended up ruining them by deforming them so much that they wouldn't lift the heli any more.

<edit>Yes, sorry, I meant tracking</edit>
matt28 is offline Find More Posts by matt28
Last edited by matt28; Jul 18, 2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: mistake
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,454 Posts
i took all my spare parts that were taken off my 2 modded HB's...and threw together a plain ol' stock HBFP....i'm actually learning nose in hovering on it ...i guess sometimes less, is more !!! fun little heli
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:07 AM
Dorval, QC
Joined Aug 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt28
Ok, here's a good newbie question: what's the best way to balance the blades? Last time I tried to bend them I ended up ruining them by deforming them so much that they wouldn't lift the heli any more.
Do you mean tracking? To balance, pop off the head, place it between two glasses and put tape on the lighter blade. For tracking I think you can use tape shims or something like that, there was something about that in the other hbfp thread. I wouldn't worry too much about tracking, I never tracked my blades and have had no problems flying it.
dan_the_man is offline Find More Posts by dan_the_man
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:27 AM
Dorval, QC
Joined Aug 2007
524 Posts
Here is my stock FP. Looks pretty pathetic right now but it flies great. The great thing about the stock setup is that it's nearly indestructible (except the skids, but I don't need skids lol). The only thing not stock is the towerpro servo because the stock one just didn't work for some reason. Stripped the thread in the frame while mounting it so I had a use a zip tie to hold it in place. I am currently working on pirouettes and backwards flight and so far all I have broken are the skids from slamming it into a brick wall
dan_the_man is offline Find More Posts by dan_the_man
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:08 PM
United States, OR, Independence
Joined Feb 2008
1,288 Posts
Opinion Only

I don't see the value of this thread. It will turn into another thread with a quarter million posts that makes searching futile, and will eventually just be another coffee shop for a few guys modding the crap out of a cheap helicopter. Just let people post their specific problems individually; then we can help them, and a search of topics is infinitely easier to do than searching posts.

This forum is no different than any owners forum in the interworld; new people will come and ask the same questions, over and over, in a sort of cycle, which is OK. Then the guys with no life will tell them to search instead of helping them. I belong to about 6 forums and other than the genre they are all the same.

I don't care if this get's stickied or not. I seldom read the first three editions because they are mostly a half dozen guys yakking back and forth, so this one will be no different. I just like to be able to open a forum and see individual threads for people's issues.

For what it's worth.

jim
Bing44 is offline Find More Posts by Bing44
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:36 PM
Johnson City, New York
Joined Mar 2008
2,275 Posts
The other HBFP thread is not beginner friendly, sure it is easier to just make individual threads for every question that every noob has (course you'll see alot of people who hate it when noobs post individual probs instead of asking in the corresponding thread), but usually when new people come to these or any forums they need a good starting place. Hopefully the title will keep this thread more about stock HBFP's and provide help to beginners. I'm not interested in arguing with people about dumb stuff, just trying to help, but its been long talked about for the need for a basic HBFP thread. So thats why I started this thread. To be helpful, I don't mind answering the same question over and over if its helping the new pilots, we need to be supportive of our hobby and try to encourage new pilots.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:36 PM
Johnson City, New York
Joined Mar 2008
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_the_man
Here is my stock FP. Looks pretty pathetic right now but it flies great. The great thing about the stock setup is that it's nearly indestructible (except the skids, but I don't need skids lol). The only thing not stock is the towerpro servo because the stock one just didn't work for some reason. Stripped the thread in the frame while mounting it so I had a use a zip tie to hold it in place. I am currently working on pirouettes and backwards flight and so far all I have broken are the skids from slamming it into a brick wall

thats funny, it looks almost exactly like mine, even the skid, and zip tie on the 4in1
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:39 PM
ASA all the way!
Germany
Joined Jun 2008
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt28
Balancing and tracking are different. Just in case you were talking about balancing, here is how I do it.

1. Remove the blades from the hub so you can determine the center of balance for each blade. I have a 1/4-inch steel rod that I use as the blance point for the blade. Put the rod on a level flat surface and lay the blade across the rod like a teeter-totter so the blade is perpendicular to the rod. Roll the rod slowly until the blade balances. Mark that point on the leading edge of the blade with a pencil. Do the same for the other blade.

2. Put the blades together, line up the holes for the rotor hub, and compare the marks for the center of balance. None of the stock blades I have are ever the same, so use the blade with the pencil mark closest to the hub as the base blade and transfer its center of balance mark to the other blade.

3. Put the second blade back on the rod and add tape near the hub portion of the blade until the blade balances on the new center of balance point. This will change the weight of the blade, but this will be corrected in the next step. Both blades now have the same center of balance. Although the hub has the same angular velocity as the tip, it has a lower linear velocity and the tape is less likely to come off if you have to add a lot to make the adjustment.

4. Assemble the blades onto the rotor head making sure they are properly aligned. Balance the rotor assembly between two glasses, CD cases, or anything that will minimize the friction. If one of the blades is heavier, put tape on the lighter blade at the center of gravity mark. Make sure the tape wraps around the leading edge of the blade to reduce the possibility that it will come off during flight.

I have tried doing just Step 4, but have found that doing all of the steps makes my heli smoother. Of course, it could be just my imagination.
Mike66 is offline Find More Posts by Mike66