HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2001, 08:27 PM
California, USA
Joined Jan 2001
19 Posts
Wattage F-22 Building Tips / Pictures

I just ordered my F-22 yesterday, it looks like a fun plane. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128404.htm

Can anybody comment how this plane flies compared to a Zagi 400(x) ?

Also, if anyone has any building tips or pictures of thier plane, please post them.

Thanks,
RCFanatic
rcfanatic is offline Find More Posts by rcfanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2001, 12:34 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Check this out...
http://www.geocities.com/kepople/f22

Let me know if you have any questions

kepople@mindspring.com
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Sep 07, 2001, 02:08 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
24 Posts
I haven't flown the Zagi (yeah, I know, I'm the one e-flier on this planet who hasn't) so I can't comment on the differences. However, I've been flying the F22 and having a ball.

This is a sweet flier stock. A couple of tips: get a good hand launch straight ahead, and let it gain some speed before you try to (smoothly and slowly!) pull up. Once it's "on step" you'll notice it's a very stable and smooth bird and it'll climb out just fine. I fly it bone stock with 8x500ARs and 8x600AEs. I haven't been getting great duration, around 5 mins., but a couple of the packs are new. In terms of raw performance it's faster than my X250 but not as quick (nor as twitchy) as my S&B Corsair.
Sinewave is offline Find More Posts by Sinewave
Old Sep 07, 2001, 03:58 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
24 Posts
Hey fanatic, you're right near me (Palo Alto)...where do you fly, Rancho San Antonio? Anyway here's what I used:

Stock motor, gearbox, prop
8x500ARs
GP C-20 ESC (I've had problems with Wattage ESCs)
555 Rx
HS-55 servos

Also make sure to do a range check before your first flight (always a good idea). Mine failed until I brought the antenna outside the fuse.
Old Sep 07, 2001, 05:16 PM
California, USA
Joined Jan 2001
19 Posts

Yup! I go to Rancho a lot, if you know any other good places for electrics in the area let me know.

By the way, here are some aerial shots I took of Rancho with my Partenavia plane.
http://www.members.home.net/kronberg1/rancho.html
Old Sep 07, 2001, 11:25 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
I have the wattage mirrage and I try to go there at Rancho on weekends. I'll be there saturday and hope to see you guys fly your f-22, I am thinking of getting one but I want to see it fly first.
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Sep 08, 2001, 12:03 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I dont live anywhere near you guys...too bad (sniff, sniff) I have a dream. Would it not be neat to see 3 F-22 in the air, and try some formation flight. What a pretty sight, we would beat the Military.

I am flying stock motor, HS55, wattage 15a ESC, and 555 rcv. Batts I use the 720 NMih from Eflightpower.com, and when that ones shot, I throw my Zagi 500mah batt in. Fits, flies like a scalded ape, for about 2 minutes.
Still only one flight on the motor Mod, too windy, and my Sportwin still hasnt flown...ARGH!!! windy!

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Sep 08, 2001, 01:05 AM
California, USA
Joined Jan 2001
19 Posts

Thanks for the pics (kepople) and tips sinewave.

I'm really iching to fly this plane.

What size servos would you recommend ? I use Hitec stuff.. (HS-55, HS-60, HS-81) thx.
Old Sep 08, 2001, 04:19 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
24 Posts
Cool pics fanatic, I fly most of my electrics at Rancho S.A. and my sailplanes at Coyote Hills Regional Park. Don't tell anyone but I test-fly my EDFs at the slope there...always nice to have some slope lift insurance!
Old Sep 08, 2001, 03:25 PM
Las Vegas,NV.
Joined Sep 2001
2 Posts
Well here is the souped up version. I originaly started with a Kotronic brushless drive 150 with 8 cells...pretty cool, but not cool enough to satisfy the need for speed. So a friend of mine hands me three differant battery packs and suggests making a 10 and an 11 cell pack out of them. I did just that and flew her today..Well let me say that the differance between 8 and 10 cells is like night and day. Fabulous vertical...awsome top end speed...and just a great all around fun jet thats no "slouch". If you don't mind droping $200 bucks for the motor and speed controll, (you will have for a long time to use in any speed 400 type ship in the future) and don't mind soldering up a couple of battery packs, you will have an F-22 that will kick some butt.

Radar Lock is offline Find More Posts by Radar Lock