HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:05 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Best Hacker for all around 10 (or so) cells aerobatics with MEC box

Maybe I'm trying to emulate the MaxCim system.

I'm reading through Ezone looking for an answer on Hacker. I want to buy in the next couple of days something along the line of a C40-12S with a Hacker Master Opto 40.

I have a MEC Superbox.
Type of planes I fly: I had an E3D with a Mega 22/20/2 motor but now I want to go with the Hacker. I also ran the Endo with 4.6:1 on several planes (4 lb. Modeltech Extra) and liked that. Might even like to put the motor in a Bandit or Smart with a planetay (if that's too far fetched, skip that-doesn't have to be full-fledged f5b).

Basically what I'd like is the Holy Grail. A motor for most aerobatic flying from fast pattern, fast glider, to slow 3d hover stuff. Three to five pound planes. I'd like to fly mostly 10 cells, maybe 8 occasionally or up to 12 if necessary. I can change the gear ratio on the MEC box of course.

I'm thinking hacker C-series. Obviously the 12s is most well-known, but want to make sure I have the option for speed as well as 3d (of course I want both).

The B50's seem more that I need.
The C40's L and S series - I don't know, with gearing and propping they seem practically interchangeable with KV's ranging from 3 to 4K. I suppose peak efficiency current varies and 30 A would be about optimum. The L's might run a little cooler.

Whattaya think,

Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2003, 07:52 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Balin,
I think the C40 12T is a fantastic little motor. It will be outstanding in most anything ( 8-12 cells ) that weighs 50 oz to 70 oz when geared and propped properly. I would not prop it over 45 amps .....especially if used on something at the upper end of the weight range.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jan 30, 2003, 08:47 PM
san diego, ca.
Joined Sep 2000
252 Posts
Hi Balin, I've used the Hacker B-40 8L with maxim 4.4:1 G.B. and had excellent results, and superior performance. I've used it in a Smart on 7 cells, An Extra 300 on 10 cells, And the E3D on 10 cells
My favorite for all around versatility!! Good Luck! FF
Fast Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fast Fly
Old Jan 31, 2003, 01:38 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
603 Posts
Hi Fast Fly

What prop are you using with the 10 cells and how many amps is this setup pulling?

thanks

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Jan 31, 2003, 01:57 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
While your goals is an interesting one, just like the MaxCim, you'll end up with something that is sub-optimal all the way around.

The C40-12T is a great motor and you can play with prop, gear, and cells to tune it to a fairly wide range of uses. But I'm not sure how this really works in real life. When I get a plane flying well and really tuned, the last thing I want to do is take the motor out. I prefer tuning for each plane. Otherwise you'll start to look for planes that will work right with the motor you have. That's pretty limiting.

The other thing to remember is that the C40 is a 400-500watt motor. That roughly brackets the weight of the plane you will be able to fly.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Jan 31, 2003, 10:18 AM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Kyle,

As I've been thinking about this I've already come to the same conclusion as you have mentioned.

If I decide on the C40, then I start looking for planes that is perfect for, unfortunately I can't find one I like right now.

So I'm thinking of lookng at a plane I like (Venus) and then looking for a motor to fly it.

I kind of like the idea of moving into the lightweight .40 size planes. Maybe B50-13s, 16 cells. Or even a B50-9L? Then I'd have lots of planes to choose from. Venus, aresti, 4*40, somethin' extra, magic, etc.

Oops, I'm still doing the same thing. Picking the motor and then the plane. I think this is a predictable outgrowth of previous experiences of grinding up planes pretty fast. That era is hopefully coming to a close.

Hmm. Luckily the MWE is coming up and I'll get to see what Hacker is flying this year.

Thanks, Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Last edited by Balin; Jan 31, 2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:40 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Waiting for MWE is a great idea. There will be lots of interesting stuff and it will take the guesswork out of your decision. There's nothing like seeing it fly first before you buy. You'll also be able to get a lot of expert advice.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima