HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:51 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
312 Posts
Discussion
EDF vibration, Phase 3 EF-16

Hello group, A friend and I just maidened our EF-16's. We both have a notable vibration. It seems a little too notable to ignore. I found it odd because I balanced both fans with my magnetic type prop balancer. (top flight) I read somewhere about "dynamic" balancing. I had then dead nuts on the mag balancer so I'm a little surprised. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Robert
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:47 PM
Virginia Beach Va.
Joined Nov 2001
503 Posts
might want to check the motor shaft, could have a little bend in it. I know you said this is all new equipment but things like that happen.
Speedfreak is offline Find More Posts by Speedfreak
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:49 PM
Fly it before you paint!!
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
242 Posts
that is really odd.... i never balance any of mine and they spin like a charm.... of course it takes me a couple of weeks just to put 2 servos in a build lol.... call me mr. careful .... hehe seriously they should spin nice right out the box... did you breakin the motors or go hardcore WOT the maiden flight? BTW i adjust or never overtighten the set screws on the rotor shaft
SmoothCruizer is offline Find More Posts by SmoothCruizer
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm just here to fly
Sarasota,Florida
Joined Jun 2007
991 Posts
I did not need to balance mine either.Was there a problem before you balanced them.? would take the balancing stuff off and try it.
Steve
f86esabre is offline Find More Posts by f86esabre
Last edited by f86esabre; Jul 16, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:48 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
312 Posts
I never ran the fans for a "before" comparison. (dumb) I always balance props out of the box, so I balanced the fans as well. These fans are not servicable once you glue the duct/fuse bottom in place without operating so....... here's to precaution. Kind of wierd because both fans had a heavy side. I may be being overly sensitive to the vibration. It may be "fine" for foamy EDF standards. They just seem a little buzzy. There is no resonance occillation as I heard on some badly aout of balance fans though.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,282 Posts
On the stock fans and motors that come with the kit most of the time you are better leaving it alone they work pretty well out of the box. Sometimes the more you try and balance the stock fan the more trouble you get into.

Pete
hole digger is offline Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member