SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2001, 05:46 PM
Cupertino, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
104 Posts
Foam cutting CNC software

Hi All
I have built a foam cutting CNC. I need the software that will controll the 4 stepper motors that move the XY tables in the correct direction. Does anyone know who makes this software?
Thanks
foam_man is offline Find More Posts by foam_man
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2001, 09:39 PM
Providence, RI
Joined May 2001
380 Posts
I thought for sure that I saw some type of CNC software in a Micromark catalog once but upon inspection of my latest catalog I don't see it, they do have a bunch of accesories for this though. I bet if you call them they may be able to point you in the right direction. www.micromark.com
Sounds like a great project! I would love to do something like this someday.

Reagrds,
Scott
exempt is offline Find More Posts by exempt
Old May 27, 2001, 11:41 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Dec 2000
181 Posts
Hey foam_man,
Bill Griggs Models carries cnc foam cutting software. http://www.griggsmodels.com/

Scott
Scott J is offline Find More Posts by Scott J
Old May 28, 2001, 01:48 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
get a copy of "Nuts and Volts" - its not carried at many places but has exactly what you need - even free software for the actual cutter control. e-mail me if you have trouble and we'll find a way to get you the info. http://www.nutsvolts.com/

[This message has been edited by pfg (edited 05-28-2001).]
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:42 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
foam_man, did you ever finish this project? I'm about to start he same thing and would like to know if you found a solution for the software.

I plan to use a pair of (2channel) controllers from www.steppercontrol.com and some small steppers I have around my shop.

Thanks!

Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old Sep 06, 2001, 07:03 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
I actually use a machine similar to what you guys are looking for, but it is a very expensive hardware and software solution for a hobbyist.I can cut foam up to 2" thick. I normaly work with polyethelene, polyurethane and a depron like material. Check out the link to see what it looks like.
http://www.data-technology.com/dt2200.html
jrgii is offline Find More Posts by jrgii
Old Sep 07, 2001, 01:37 AM
ultramega super star
Tucson,AZ 365 days of Sunshine
Joined Sep 2000
347 Posts
I purchased a copy from a guy in france, I have the link if your still looking for software. I think the price was around $30-$40, I'm about to build my cnc foam cutter this month along with a cnc router.
stealthy is offline Find More Posts by stealthy
Old Sep 07, 2001, 03:13 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
Hi Foam_man

Would you consider telling us how you built the machine???

Thanks
Stephen

[This message has been edited by wigham1 (edited 09-07-2001).]
wigham1 is offline Find More Posts by wigham1
Old Sep 07, 2001, 01:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
jrgii, the laser cutting machine on that site is most impressive! wow.

Stealthy, please post a link to the SW site if its not too much trouble.

Thanks!
Old Sep 07, 2001, 01:22 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2000
19 Posts
I built this type of foam cutting machine quite a few years ago, and wrote software to run it. It is written in a C like language, if you want to take a look at it. It runs the motors in short, straight paths, which cut a nice smooth path on the machine. To make the whole system work you need a decent CAD program to develop the shapes to cut, a pre-processor(simple Basic program) to convert the shapes into steps/motor, and then the cutter hardware and software.
philc is offline Find More Posts by philc
Old Sep 08, 2001, 08:50 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
philc, I'd like to try it if thats ok. I was considering doing the same, but I have very little programming experience and only in VB. I use 3D Studio Max to create the shapes, or I can scan a print and 'vectorize' it with other software.

Thank a bunch!
Last edited by Far4nugn; Nov 20, 2012 at 08:26 AM.