HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:09 AM
Sweden (born UK bred Wales)
Joined Aug 2002
456 Posts
Help!
How best to repair EasyStar broken tail fin?

Hi!

I store my EasyStar suspended from the garage ceiling which seemed to be a safe place.

However, when taking out a ladder I whacked it up against the roof and broke the tail fin (vertical stabilizer).

Can anybody suggest how to repair and reinforce the damage?

I do have some CA glues, I attached a photo. Are these safe to use?

thanks in advance.
konaboy is offline Find More Posts by konaboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:03 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy
Can anybody suggest how to repair and reinforce the damage?

I do have some CA glues, I attached a photo. Are these safe to use?
Just glue it back on with the CA you've got, they are safe for Elapor. I don't see a need for additional reinforcements.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Yep. Should be fine. Use the "THIN" one. Do yourself a favor, do the repair before going to bed, and let it cure over-night before flying it.

-mb
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2002
456 Posts
cool. I thought that would be the way to go. Thanks for the confirmation guys!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Glue a toothpick in for support. Make SURE it's vertical when it dries.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2002
456 Posts
Seemed to be a success. Didn't use a toothpick as it wasn't a total break the tail was still hanging on by a few mm of foam. By trying to insert a pick I would probably have broken it clean off.

It's not a precise 90% vertical. Even by eye I can see it's slightly off. It could have been this way from the beginning though due to the imprecise nature of foam.

I intend to make a brace using a piece of dental floss/lightweight kite line. I will attach it to the end of the horizontal stab, up to the top of the fin and then down to the other end of the stab. THe line will be taught and held in place with a dot of CA.

I have used this technique to stiffen up my "slow stick" tail with success and you can use it to make small adjustments to the angles.

By the way that thin CA wicked right through the foam and stuck the bottom of the plane to a concrete wall that i was gluing on. It was a tough job to get it free. Good job my hand wasn't underneath. Scary stuff CA.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2008
426 Posts
im afraid it will never be structual sound again, it might fail in flight causeing destruction and injury to private property,animals an people, the best thing would be to box it up and ship it to me, where ill properly dispose of it according to FAA rules. but if you must fly it...HAVE FUN!!!!
rcairplains is offline Find More Posts by rcairplains