Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANATOR
Justin,

Where you been?

Are you still in town?

Oran

Not in town anymore, back in Big Bear. I hope it's okay that I left the Viper and Salto canopy at your house.

I was a little bit burned out on the airplane thing so I just stopped for a while, started going swimming and such-- then got a massive sun burn and board rash and didn't want to do anything after that, pretty soon it was time to go back up.

Thanks for the summer Oran, I had a great time. I'll be back to finish up that Viper soon enough I think unless you want to build it and keep it.

Justin
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2008, 02:10 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitter
Not in town anymore, back in Big Bear. I hope it's okay that I left the Viper and Salto canopy at your house.

I was a little bit burned out on the airplane thing so I just stopped for a while, started going swimming and such-- then got a massive sun burn and board rash and didn't want to do anything after that, pretty soon it was time to go back up.

Thanks for the summer Oran, I had a great time. I'll be back to finish up that Viper soon enough I think unless you want to build it and keep it.

Justin

It's your plane...

PM me your address and I will get it to you.

Oran
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2008, 07:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
Three words "Thick laminating film"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitter
Okay, so this thread has become bigger than I expected it would be. School is starting and that's a bigger priority for me.

There's a lot of information, and I honestly don't want to, and don't really have the time to sort through all of it and organize it in to the original post for quick access.

If anyone else would like to revise the original post, and put more information in to it then go ahead. I can just Copy/Paste it in to the first post or quote it.

Thanks,

Justin
Just seems "Amazing" and Brilliant that after all this in a thread , People just cant come out and say

"thicker laminating film"

seems like new technology to me

If someone said that sooner , i could of got plenty for nothing , thats right "not one cent"

now im going to get coloured stuff made to try out . neener "Its mine all Mine" and im gonna charge you all a fortune for it.. Nah not really

next time a new product comes out , dont be a clever bugger and make us all look stupid "Like i did" when i found out that all it was , was a roll of clear laminate film that was too thick for floaters sitting in the corner of my shed for over 2 years

ive got a guy making coloured sheets as we speak to sample if im right it should be what we are ultimately after in the end

if you want any imput whatsoever to this or want to send samples , see this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904337

im waiting till i get a sample to pick up my order of coloured film for a slope monkey build , just in case things need to be tweaked on the thicknesses slightly

then if im right on my assumption i can get some nice film made for all

cheers
doug
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:20 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,080 Posts
That's one way to over simplify things, a lot.

Reality is that not all laminating films have the same properties. Some
are thick, some are thin, some are rigid, some are pliable. Some are simply
stronger than others, some brittle. Some shrink when heated, some don't.
Some offer decent UV protection. Some have thick aggressive adhesives
and some don't. But you can believe they're all the same if you want.
It's no different than comparing rolls of packing tape. I can line up 10
different brands of clear tape, and show at least that many differences
between them.

If you can get something with the same properties of the 7-10mil flexible,
that's colored, then I'm sure it'll be popular, but you've got to understand
why people like the "new stuff" as it is.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:25 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Awesome doug... it would be great if your colored films share the great qualities of stiffness/adhesiveness as the "new stuff". Keep us up to date on how they come out.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Aug 06, 2008, 10:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
yeah will do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
Awesome doug... it would be great if your colored films share the great qualities of stiffness/adhesiveness as the "new stuff". Keep us up to date on how they come out.

-James
Well as far as it goes i will definitely keep all informed , thanks goes out to predator for waking us up to this great idea , i didnt even look at the roll of stuff in my shed till i saw these threads..

but being an ex-printing buisness person comes in handy , as i know the suppliers of the stuff personally . you know most laminating shops get the thick stuff and dont use it for anything at all cause it dont fit thier machines , thats 3000 rolls sitting each year that could be used in our hobby..

while i was in the buisness of printing i also came across high gloss heat sensitive vynyl that also is about the same weight /gsm as the stuff and i reckon with the right move to offload some rolls to the hobby area , we can get a great product which would give an option of another "foamy only" covering for everyone...

ten years ago there was a light weight heat sensitive vynyl that was easy moving around complex curves but had rubber like flex ... im hoping to get a few samples of this also to cross link and get a perfect blend..

would be cool for epp to feel traditionial , no tape , no mess , and great looking planes..

see you soon

Fbaby2k8
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
trying to kick the habit
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2006
1,397 Posts
Is anyone selling this right now in smaller that roll sizes? I could use some. If not, I am thinking about getting a reasonable amount and selling it but would rather not if someone like Adam at Wyoming Wind Works is going to start selling it again. Any interest.
Crashaholic is offline Find More Posts by Crashaholic
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:02 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Anybody try spray paint for polycarbonate (clear) rc car/truck bodies on the New Stuff?
That paint is made to stick to plastic car bodies- maybe it would work with NS.
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:11 AM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
Is anyone selling this right now in smaller that roll sizes? I could use some. If not, I am thinking about getting a reasonable amount and selling it but would rather not if someone like Adam at Wyoming Wind Works is going to start selling it again. Any interest.

I'm selling it by the foot in several thicknesses and widths.

www.canuckengineering.com

I wrap all orders of New Stuff on hollow tube mandrels. I ship with USPS and quote shipping based on package dimensions and weight. The checkout process will calc. shipping automatically. I except Paypal, check, or money order.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Apr 06, 2009, 04:02 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
I covered my Rebel with one piece top and one piece bottom. I feel that this has substantially reduced (eliminated?) the problem with the nose of chevron wings from getting wrinkled.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
I've just finished putting new stuff on my Beevolution. First time I've used new stuff (or built a Beevolution for that matter). I went with 125 micron gloss film doubled up on the nose with a small amount of strapping tape underneath.

I had heard it produces a shiny and strong finish so taught it's like the skin of a drum. I thought I'd give the theory a test; i must say I'm pleasantly surprised.

Plane skinned like a drum (0 min 15 sec)

For anyone based in the UK i got my stuff from;

http://www.butonz.com/1-x-Gloss-125mic-455mm-1-core-50-metres-p-31500.html

and it seems to have worked fine though I've not test flown it yet (let alone test crashed it).
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:40 AM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Just an update for those new to using NS, when using the thinner NS it's always a good idea to apply some x-weave tape to the TE and LE before covering with NS, helps stop wing tearing in very hard frontal arrivals.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:38 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
^ found that out long ago when a 35oz. plank hit my wing full-speed at the LE. Almost tore the plane in half !!!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:00 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonsoarer View Post
Just an update for those new to using NS, when using the thinner NS it's always a good idea to apply some x-weave tape to the TE and LE before covering with NS, helps stop wing tearing in very hard frontal arrivals.

Good tip. Wish I would have seen it last week before I ironed on the NewStuff on my new EPP Fox. I put two overlapping layers of 5mil NewStuff over the leading edge, D-box style; I guess I'll see if that's good enough..... The wing turned out seriously stiff from tip to tip with that treatment.
Mike Furcolow is online now Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow