HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:06 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-tropic
Wise words here. I am looking for a UK source too but just comparing the range of prices from the UK suppliers you can find on the net suggests that something is going on wrt variation in quality / properties. None of these UK suppliers are offering the kind of information about structural integrity etc. which is on the http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com site and none of them are talking about DI or CP films or anything apparently equivalent. Their ranges are generally much more limited too. Sure you could ring them up but 10 gets you 1 you would get bullshitted about how their product is just what you want.

Somebody on this side of the pond needs to do what Karl did and spend out on different products to identify the best. Any takers? I thought not. One in the eye to those who slagged Karl off for wanting to make a few bucks from all his research.

I think the safest bet for UK people is probably to import from the States for now until someone happens to come across the "right stuff" over here. The dollar prices at http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com are actually very cheap compared to some of the UK prices anyway. Expect shipping to at least double it but - what the hey!

Of course anyone planning to import in quantity to make a margin on distributing it here could get caught out if a UK source emerges. Self organised group buys would seem to be the ticket.

Steve
New STuff is a mother of innovation - easy builds finish off well enough with NS. In the "brainstorm" minutes of my SSDC project, everything kinda fleshed out because I'd be using the New STuff...so I go on laminatorwarehouse.com to see about placing an online order...$36 shipping and minimum order of 2 rolls (of 100')! Not so cheap.

I said it before, but I hope you can bear me repeating: I'd rather pay Karl an overhead (and it wasn't much) to get exactly what I need in practical amounts vs. buy 200' of material that may or may not work for me.

tape sucks.

ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I have been looking at a material called 'CURV' for a while - looks like carbon but is plastic board in a range of thicknesses - think it's probably of similar qualities to this laminate!

PS - have a 'book' of samples here
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:22 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni

I said it before, but I hope you can bear me repeating: I'd rather pay Karl an overhead (and it wasn't much) to get exactly what I need in practical amounts vs. buy 200' of material that may or may not work for me.

tape sucks.

Again, one of the pieces of information that I am looking to put in the thread is what to buy on the site. From what I have heard there are 3 thicknesses of this stuff, but when I go to look on the site I see a whole bunch of different variations.

If anyone has information on what the 3 main variations and thicknesses are named, that would be excellent.

I can think of some that Karl talked about, those being plasti-ply light, ballisti-cover, and BURLY. However I don't know what these are labeled as on the website.

Thanks for your input, everyone, we're making progress.

Justin
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:36 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
The plasti-ply light is the DI 3/2 5 mil - HERE
The BCH (Blallisti-cover-heavy) is the CP 10 mil - HERE
The Burly is the 7/3 LL 10 mil - HERE
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:11 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Well, someone buy a sheetlood and let me know so that I may buy from you.

What are YOU building Justin?
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
Aerobatics!
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Absolutely nothing John, to be honest I've never ever used the stuff. I've seen what it does to EPP though, and it's amazing. If I do get my hands on it I'll be sure to strip any airplane I've got and cover it with the new stuff, though.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
I have a bunch on order and will be selling it soon at Wyoming Wind Works.

Adam
Last edited by wyowindworks; Jul 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:49 AM
Aerobatics!
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Added to the list of Suppliers! Awesome deal Adam, thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:58 AM
Aerobatics!
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBOZman
Goop is *the* glue for the new stuff. So about gooping the entire wing thinnly. Then, mask out your design, apply colored goop, remove mask and add the new stuff?

<edit>
hmm, goop would probably stick to the mask. Anybody have an idea for clean tape lines with goop?
</edit>
You could simply paint thinned goop on to the sticky side of the tape and then apply it? Would anyone like to try it out?

Justin
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:13 AM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangtight
This stuff seems to be closest in description and price to New Stuff, and available in the UK. Some more research will be carried out to see if I'm right!
Found out a bit more. This stuff is a total of 125 microns thick, which is 1 of film and 4 of adhesive...no use at all

BUT, they do what is described as 'map laminating film' which is 3 of film and 2 of adhesive. Much more like it. The good news is that it works out about £1.40 sq.metre. The bad news is you have to buy £145 quids worth at a time!
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:46 PM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,591 Posts
Interesting post Hang!

have you noticed that http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/di_films.shtml#232 has a column for "film type" which has 3/2, 2/3 type figures. Maybe this also denotes the film / adhesive ratio.

Steve
n-tropic is offline Find More Posts by n-tropic
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:33 AM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Think you're right Steve. Adam at Wyoming Wind Works recommends the 3/2 film for the Slope Monkey, and the site describes the 3/2 as more rigid than the 2/3. Hopefully the UK stuff is the same as the PlastiPly light (DI 3/2).
Now I need to figure out how to get a sample out of a company that only sells full rolls
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:15 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-tropic
Interesting post Hang!

have you noticed that http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/di_films.shtml#232 has a column for "film type" which has 3/2, 2/3 type figures. Maybe this also denotes the film / adhesive ratio.

Steve
That is a correct assumption. 3/2 is the lamininate to glue ratio. The first # is the laminate thickness the second # is the adheasive thickness. More adhesive doesn't necessarily stick better. The 3/2 is stiffer and more rigid than the 2/3.

Adam
Last edited by wyowindworks; Jul 21, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks
I have a bunch on order and will be selling it soon at Wyoming Wind Works.

Adam
You got my business.....
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
You got my business.....
My supply is supposed to be arriving on Wednesday. I should have stuff available for order from my site on Thursday.

Adam