HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:52 AM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Apr 2008
295 Posts
Gallery
Show me your naked Corona 120

I just purchased a used Corona 120 and I am interested to see how others have mounted their electronics. Since some of the components are so big, I dont see how its possible to keep the ESC away from the sensitive electroncis to reduce interference. Please upload your pix.

Please see attached pictures of how I did mine:

Left
- Astro 020 motor
- CSM HLG 200 Gyro
- Stock ESC
- Hitec HS-81MG (3)

Right
- 7 cell NiMh
- Spektrum A6100 2.4Ghz Receiver
cutty01 is offline Find More Posts by cutty01
Last edited by cutty01; Jul 15, 2008 at 01:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:05 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
This one is pretty typical of what I ran.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2005
119 Posts
I don't have a great photo to show you what I did. Perhaps I can dig one up if I look a little more.

Like yours, I have the ESC in about the same place with the gyro on a little mount that sits right above it. Both are are the very front part of the crutch. The receiver is on the other side, opposite the rudder servo. That location kept the receiver (a Hitec 555) far from the ESC and motor. I never had any interference issues. Eventually I moved the gyro to about the same location. It was actually resting atop the boom.
slopecat is offline Find More Posts by slopecat
Last edited by slopecat; Jul 16, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:12 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Be very careful with the Astro 020 motor. Do a search and you will see many have had this motor fail inflight with the Corona. Including myself of course. Just a friendly warning.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Apr 2008
295 Posts
Thanks guys for sharing your configs and for the motor warning. Anyone else have pictures they care to post? Or is the "Best Heli Trainer for Beginners" a dead bird :-).
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:52 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
I would say the best thing next to a Corona for heli training is a SIM...I just recently purchased the Phoenix RC Sim and it is AWESOME...very realistic and you can even add wind and gusts effects. I bought it to learn nose in hovering since that is the only thing I can't get the hang of yet.

Good luck the Corona is the best starter heli I learned very quickly on mine when I had it.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:06 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
The Corona is pretty dead these days despite there being nothing equivalently good to replace it. If you want to see more photos just do a search here. This forum was almost literally Corona Central a year and more ago.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:08 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Greetings, Guys.

Good to see ya.

Matt
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:33 PM
Got toys?
pearl city, hi
Joined Feb 2005
714 Posts
whatever you do, don't mod and bling it to death -- like my 52oz corona piggy...i was having fun, until one day, i saw what i had done, and decided that i needed help...my psychiatrist asked me why i had spent $2,000 trying to turn a pelican into an eagle...after a lot of therapy, i bought a mikado logo10, and discovered the joy of heli flying -- without the insanity...lol...ken
kenhiraihnl is offline Find More Posts by kenhiraihnl
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Apr 2008
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl
...my psychiatrist asked me why i had spent $2,000 trying to turn a pelican into an eagle...
LOL, good one
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:29 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Get em Matt

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Aug 02, 2008, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2008
12 Posts
I am new to forums and electric helos, but thought I would chance a question. Please excuse my foo-pahs. Bought a used Corona 120, got it up and hovering (sort of) and then after one of my training sessions I can no longer get the Electro-Fusion controller to arm the throttle. I checked the Castle Creations site and the closest I could come to the Fusion 35 controller (LM Corona stock part) I am using is the Pegasus-35P, it described my problem "everything is hooked up correctly, the BEC (receiver and servos) works, but the throttle does not work" and suggested moving the throttle stick and trim all the way down and checking the reverse throttle control on my transmitter. Tried all those things and still no joy. It also talked about checking my endpoint adjustment on my radio that they are set all the way open. I checked my Futaba Sy
kysport 4YF manual and could not find any mention of setting endpoints. Going back through the Corona manual, the only thing I could find was that I did not have the speed controller contacts soldered to the motor. Did I fry my Fusion 35 Brushed speed controller or maybe the motor? Thanks for any help/insite any one can provide. This is what I am using:
Stock Corona 120 with
Skysport 4YF Radio
Futaba FP-R127DF Receiver
Futaba GY240 Gyro
3 Hitec HS-81 servos
Electro Fusion 7 Motor
2400 ma 8 Ccell Nicad battery pack
maxhdrm is offline Find More Posts by maxhdrm
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:13 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Dude sounds like a brush is stuck. pull them back against spring pressure and let them go home.

Go brushless ASAP

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:35 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson144
Dude sounds like a brush is stuck. pull them back against spring pressure and let them go home.

Go brushless ASAP

Steve
Nope. I know the answer to this one, but the question should really be posted in another thread.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:36 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhdrm
I am new to forums and electric helos, but thought I would chance a question.
This is a thread about Corona 120 pictures.

If you post your question in a new thread, I'll answer it.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita