Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,636 Posts
That is one heck of a demo they put on! Some day I'd like to see it in person!
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
Yeah, there was some carping that the flight was not true scale. Okay, that's true. It was amazing, crisp and entertaining. He threw that plane around the sky like it was a foamie. I'm not even a 29 fan it was the highlight of the day for me.

Favorite plane at the event? The Connie. I shot 698 photographs in total with the Connie and the big transport airframes dominating.

This event is worth the trip. I only flew two flights on Saturday, but both were a blast. And, the plane came home in one piece!

- Steve
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
United States, PA, Levittown
Joined Jun 2004
219 Posts
Thats funny the flight was not true scale... It's hard to fly a plane let alone have it do things that the real one cant do.... some people
SlightlyChilled is offline Find More Posts by SlightlyChilled
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:17 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
Yeah, I got spanked over on another thread by complimenting the performance. Some great know it all wanted to let me know I didn't know anything.

While I enjoyed every second of the flight (and admit to being surprised like many when the X1 rocket engine shot off on the landing approach) the 29 landing was most amazing. Mac cranked the plane around hard just above the deck, reversed direction and plunked it down like a feather all in the span of a few seconds and several yards. Amazing! I'll take that over a long floating (scale) approach every day, It's obvious if he can fly this plane that well and successfully put it in so many riskly positions, he's also able to fly "scale" when he wants. Yeesh.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:03 PM
The SEFF telescope guy.
Savannah, Ga.
Joined Apr 2006
1,044 Posts
I was lucky enough to be at Mac's place over the 4th of July. He was on the field flying his Discus Launched Glider with several other glider pilots. His flying interests are diverse. He was very comfortable doing loops and rolls at low level with that DLG also.
Dave Burrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Burrow
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
i have seen Mac fly the B-29 more times than I can count, and it is always exciting, and also every time is slightly different... He can really put it through the paces.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,395 Posts
Great shots of the B-29 and X-1. I'll have to post a few of mine for ya to compare.

I liked Mac's loop-to-final-approach landing at SEFF 08. I've seen the demo 3 years in a row now and the X-1 rocket makes me jump every time!

Oh, and I've watched the B-29 demo several times on my new SEFF 08 DVD from www.higherplaneproductions.com. Go buy a copy of that video if you wanna see this demo in all of its Hidef splendor! (no, I was not paid to say that...although I do have an appearance or two in the DVD...and my name rolls in the credits)

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dee-grose; Jul 21, 2008 at 09:58 PM.