SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite DHC 2 Beaver conversion to glow

several months of admiring this bird but not wanting to go the electric route, I finally bought it with intentions of using glow power.

My set up will be as follows:

Engine: & Muffler: OS . 25 LA with a Pitts muffler

Servos: HS 81 for ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle and 2 GWS micro for the flaps

Reciever: Hitec Electron 6

Radio: Hitec Optic 6

My engine choice is based on the folllowing factors:

1 I have this engine NIB and needed a nice plane for it and this fits the bill for sure
2 The plane is designed for the electric 25 motor equivalent so should have more than enough power
3 the weight of the plane, despite its large size of 68 inch wing span, is only 4-4.25 oz. So given that it's weight over size the engine should be plenty of power to fly it scale - this is not an aerobat.
4 The engine and muffler fit perfectly in the cowl so aside from some cooling holes and access to the glow head and carb, there will be nothing showing. In fact, the muffler pipes won't likely be seen underneath but I figure with a good size hole for exhaust to escape this should not be an issue.

The firewall is surprisingly strong as is though I will add a ply firewall with blind nuts to mount the engine and to provide a spacer to get the prop shaft the right clearance through the cowl and dummy radial engine. I will cut out spaces in the dummy engine for cooling.

I am being told by electric guys that the vibration of the glow engine will deteriate the airframe but I find the airframe to be no less solid than many of the glow designed ARFs being produced today. In fact, many of them are now being produced as either glow or electric models with very little modifications other than the choice of engine or motor mount.

Pics coming soon.
STO is offline Find More Posts by STO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Good choice to do a conversion with! I am really looking forwards to see how things progress with this model. I had the same thoughts awhile back.
BennettOZ84 is online now Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:36 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84
Good choice to do a conversion with! I am really looking forwards to see how things progress with this model. I had the same thoughts awhile back.
Thanks, Ben. I am just finishing up my Little Extra build with an OS 15 set up and then will start the beaver build. I am really excited about this one. There is a platform just under the cockpit that is perfect for the 4 oz fuel tank. I just need to enlarge the hole in the centre of the firewall for the knob of the tank to fit through with the tubing. I'll be using a three line set up.

I'm also going to use a 2s 740mah lipo with a 10 amp esc w bec as the receiver battery to save on some weight. It's a nice flat battery that will also fit perfectly. Oh and the HS 81s are a perfect drop in fit in the servo tray. I will make a servo tray for the throttle servo in the fuse. There is lots of room to play around with.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
Stuart,

Keep it coming! I'm considering this one, too, for my GMS25 w/ pitts. BTW, this plane could fly well on a .40, at this size. The .25 will be more than adequate for scale flying, however.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
Durban, South Africa
Joined Sep 2006
80 Posts
Would be interesting conversion - keen to see
erickza is offline Find More Posts by erickza
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Hopefully the receiver battery I orderd for my Little Extra will be in today or tomorrow so I can finish that project and then make room for the Beaver conversion. I am really pumped for this project.

Dgliderguy scale flying is what I'm after for this plane so I am very glad to hear that my engine choice will acheive that. I have been following your threads on the mods for the GP electric to glow and must say you have been an inspiration to my finally deciding to do this.

Hopefull will have pics coming soon later this week.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
More pics

Last set for now of the engine set up sans muffler at this point. My thanks to my lovely wife for taking these pics and leasing me space on the diningroom table for an enexpected summertime build project.

More posts to follow shortly as I work on this exciting project.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Some pics of the engine temporarily mounted

I temporarily mounted then engine to see what the clearance would be like. As can be seen, clearance is not a porblem. But I have yet to install the ply additional firewall that the engine will be mounted on. So the engine will protrude a bit further outside the cowl. I would hate to have to cut into the main firewall to move the engine back further. May have to lose the dummy radial. But this is fun trying.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:50 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Firewall strengthening and more pics

As I mentioned before the firewall stock on this plane is quite strong. However I added some strength by applying epoxy glue and a few strips of fibreglass cloth to the inside of the front sides where the firewall meets the fuse. I also added the same at the bottom along the sides in the battery hatch. I ran some epoxy along the seams of the front of the firewall.

I removed the battery compartment and covered the hole with a piece of iron on covering. This is light and doesn't add any depth to interfere with the added firewall. I could have glued a piece of balsa but would have had to sand the edges to make the seam flush. The covering seemed to be a better solution. Much of the new firewall will cover the hole anyways but this will be a good seal to prevent any exhaust leaks into the fuse from the pitts muffler. The other holes in the firewall will be covered as well before gluing the new firewall in place.

The new firewall is 1/8 " thick and so the engine will be a little further forward than I would have liked but I did not want to cut into the existing firewall to move the engine further back. Again, at worst I won't be able to use the dummy radial engine for scale looks. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Firewall and tank mounted

After finding the right placement for the prop to be on the thrustline at about 1/8 off the centre line of the firewall I attached the blind nuts and mounted the ply firewall to the original firewall. The holes were covered with plastic covering that is both strong and light.

There's no way the dummy radial engine will fit with the OS engine installed but that's the only drawback. I may have to space out the cowl with 1/8 inch pieces of ply but on the test fit the clearance wasn't too bad so I'll have to see.

I placed a sheet of 1/4 inch RC foam on the floor of the tank bed for the fuel tank to rest on. This brought the tank to the right height in line with the hole in the firewall. I put a piece of scrap blasa behind the tank to wedge in so that it won't move. Then I added some silicone to seal the front where the tubing comes out.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:39 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
Looking good Stu. I am really curious to see how it turns out and how it flies.

and no snide comments about going glow with it either arent you proud of me!
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle
Looking good Stu. I am really curious to see how it turns out and how it flies.

and no snide comments about going glow with it either arent you proud of me!
Hey "Bob" thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting this plane done. And I am most impressed at your calm reserve on my decision to go slime. Now Squiddy....ah there's another story . Actually the Bait has been really supportive too.

Once I get the servo extensions etc that I ordered from Bill the plane will be finished hopefully in time for my vacation starting this coming weekend!!!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:47 PM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
I'm following this also.I have 3 OS40FP's.Two with low time in .25 planes and one NIB.I'd love to find a plane for one of these to fly again.
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Hunkus I think the 40s would be fine as well. I'm using OS 25 LA because that's the engine I had and with the light wingloading etc was a good fit for docile scale flying from land.

So more pics.... I made a servo bay just under the cockpit area as that is the location of the throttle. The throttle linkage fits just below and to the side of the fuel tank. After setting up the radio it worked fine with no binding.

I painted the firewall flat black and then fuel proofed with polyurethene. This takes away the wood look behind the cowl since I am not able to use the dummy radial engine. ON the positive side lots of cooling for the engine.

This engine is a great fit inside the cowl with the pitts muffler. I set up the fuel tank as a three line with the fill line hanging down for easy fill ups.

The other benefit with this size engine and muffler is the the plane is still quite light. Even on the landing gear with nothing else installed there is absolutely no tendency for the tail to lift at all due to excess weight in the front.

The only frustration so far has been trying to mount the cowl with the included bolts. The angle of attack is a challenge and I think I'll have to invest in a ball driver.

Getting closer still.