SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Ed or any other local,
Can you suggest a steakhouse reasonable in price yet good?
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:41 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
I think Sagamore is way upscale and WAAAAAAAAYY too pricey also. I think they were asking $50 - $150 a steak!!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:06 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
There is a big difference between a steak house, which usually means expensive, and a place that serves reasonable steaks. I don't see this group going to a Steak house were the stakes are $20-$35 and a potato is $6 to go with it. ( Frank's )

Boulder Creek - In front of the Broadway Mall
This is where we had dinner two years ago. I thought it worked well. Denny was with us for that one.

There are several Diners in the area. While they may not be steak houses they are all pretty good, offer a wide selection of burgers, salads, Italian, Greek, as well as steaks. They are very popular with the locals. They all have steak on the menu and can all accomodate larger groups. Prices are very reasonable.

On Parade is right on the corner of Jericho and South Woods road, 1/2 mile from the field.

Celebraty is on Jericho in Syosset, about 1.5 miles from the field.

If you want a Steak House that is not outrageous, there is Majors in Woodbury. We went there last September on Saturday night. Great steaks but other things too. High priced steaks for sure, but you can also get very good moderate priced burgers, seafood, ribs and the like.

All of these places will be busy on a Saturday night so reservations for a large group would be advisable.

I visit all of these on a regular basis.

If you want moderate prices, wide selection, steaks available, then these are great choices. If you want high end Steak Houses, we have plenty of those too.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:21 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymaize
Hey Frank

If I were able to make it I would have to remind you that "vegetables are not food, vegetables are what FOOD EATS"
LOL -
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Ed,
what were the prices on Majors steaks?

Oh yeah. I forgot. I thought that was Outback. It was Boulder Creek in Hicksville on Broadway (rt107) that I was thinking of.

Thanks for the head up

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:21 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Ed,
what were the prices on Majors steaks?

Oh yeah. I forgot. I thought that was Outback. It was Boulder Creek in Hicksville on Broadway (rt107) that I was thinking of.

Thanks for the head up

Frank
Call them. I did not memorize the menu or price list. I just find them generally less expansive than a place like Franks, Fulton and Prime and the other higher end steak houses. They are not cheap. The diners will be lower in price as will Boulder Creek. But, as Steak Houses go, they are not as high end as the high end places in the price department. The steaks are beautiful.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Quote:
less expansive
?????

Oh, they don't fill you up????? We want more for our money and come home full
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2006
650 Posts
me an my wife go to majors often in the winter when the bbq is all covered up.. the burgers great and cheap if you ask me... 6 bucks for the burger and then you gotta order fries as a side. the steaks are OK... not the best steak in town, but def. the best price. i'd say plates are for the most part in the $20's... not bad at all... DEF. BETTER THAN BOULDER CREEK.. that place is kinda overpriced for what you get (quality/quantity of meats) if you ask me.

-rob
rob1978 is offline Find More Posts by rob1978
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Well then local guys, find me a good place to go if you would. I appreciate it.

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:49 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Here are the tasks for the contest (see attached)

Comments /suggestions/ alterations are welcome

These are tentative to weather conditions.....

they are in rich text format (.rtf) so it should be easy to see them in any viewer

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
For those who might have a hard time opening the files, here they are:

LISF Hand Launch Classic Saturday Aug. 2th 2008 TOTAL

Round 1: Task M - 5 x 2min max (5 throws count 2 minute max) unlimited throws 10 min window

Round 2: Last 2 flights 4min max (only last 2 flights count) unlimited throws 10 min window

Round 3: Task E - All Up Last Down 3min max 3 runs

Round 4: Task P 1,2,3,4 min max (4 flights count) 10 min window

Round 5: Task J 3 of 6 throws 3min max max of 6 throws 10 min window

Round 6: Task I - Mod. Poker (5 reached times count) can 'Fold' (take a 0 and make next call) 10 min window

Round 7: Task B- Last Flight 5 min max window time 8 min

Round 8: Task P- 1,2,3,4 min max 10 min window

Round 9: Task J 3 of 6 throws (3 min max) max of 6 throws 10 min window

Round 10: Last 2 flights 4min max (only last 2 flights count) unlimited throws 10 min window

Round 11: Task E All Up last Down 3 Min Max

LISF Hand Launch Classic Sunday Aug. 3rd 2008 TOTAL

Round 1: 30 sec multiples unlimited flights scores are truncated to 30 sec interval (1:29 >1:00)
10 min window

Round 2:Task M - 5 x 2min max (5 throws count 2 minute max) unlimited throws 10 min window

Round 3: Task E - All up Last Down 3 min max

Round 4: Task P 1,2,3,4 min max (4 flights count) 10 min window

Round 5: Task B- Last Flight 5 min max window time 8 min

Round 6: Task J 3 of 6 throws 3min max max of 6 throws 10 min window

Round 7: Task P 1,2,3,4 min max (4 flights count) 10 min window

Round 8: Last 2 flights 4min max per flight (only 2 flights count , the last 2) unlimited throws 10 min window
Round 9: Task E - All up Last Down 3 min max 10min window

Round 10: Task P 1,2,3,4 min max (4 flights count) 10 min window

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:41 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Also, I have updated Oleg and Boby's spreadsheet to be able, if we want to, to do the round dropping according to F3K rules (drop one if 5+ rounds, drop 2 if 9+, and drop 3 if 14+) The spreadsheet goes up to 16 rounds.

Once I get approval and all tests well, I will post it in another thread.

I put a checkbox on the 'PreliminaryRounds' tab to select whether F3K round dropping is enabled or not. Also, on the 'Flyoffs' tab where the total of the contest including the flyoffs is listed, I indicate that F3K round dropping is enabled or disabled. Round dropping only applies to the preliminary rounds, not to the flyoff rounds.

We are all set and ready for the contest and the software has been tested so let's have some hand launch fun!!!!

If anyone would rather not do the F3K round dropping, please voice your opinions for or against round dropping here and at the pilot's meeting.

It would be nice to be able to follow those rules as closely as possible but I am flexible on many levels when it comes to the rules the ESL members wish to follow.

If turnout holds to those registered, we will have 3 mixed flight groups, A,B and C respectively. this will allow a portion to rest and keep the groups, as of right now, at 6 per group.

Thank you.

Frank
Old Jul 26, 2008, 04:08 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
OK guys. Today we went out and cut the field. Thank God the county gave us a nice low cut so we didn't have much to do this year.

On the North and south sides we cut a razor low cuttting to demarcate the north and south field lines. The east and west field lines will be the 2ft high uncut grass.

Please park on the south side of the field closest to the tall tress. Thanks

Did a little trimming of the LightHawk and I had WAAAAY to much nose weight. Would pull out in 20 ft or less.

There was stupid lift everywhere. I did a light toss just to make sure all was OK and I caught lift. Unfortunately, the sink was just as powerful and all over so things were a bit turbulent but lots of fun.

Everything is ready for a great contest! I hope it will meet everyone's expectations.

Thanks to all who can partake.

Sincerely,

Frank N.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:48 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Hey Frank nice job on the swatches cut into the field. Looks more like a fire break. Anyway I must have just missed you. I was there from 12:30 to 3:30 today and was flying with Ed A. The lift was powerful and tight, the wind was high and the sink cycles were terrible. Any flying near the trees on the south side with the wind coming out of the SSW produced a terrible rotor. Just plane nasty anywhere near them. Flying to the north side the trees did kick off thermals, however running way back behind the treeline someone is going to get washed down very quickly. The trees are some what stunted back there and and getting back to the field from 30ft above the trees in todays conditions is going to be a real challenge. I ended up adding about 1.5oz of ballast to my XP5 and things got better, I just hope the weather is more conducive to flying next week than it was today. Reminded me of CRRC two weeks ago.

See you next week.

BTW what is the multiple of 30 sec task? Is it a ladder or any number flights in any order?

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:12 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
Good to see you Killer.

Yes, the conditions yesterday were nasty. Of course, on some days the lift is so good you need a rope to pull them down.

We have several hand launch pilots reporting flights of 20 minutes or more.

Fortunately we have a large field so you can stay away from the turbulance, when it becomes a problem.

See you next weekend.