KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:18 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Frank,

I am looking forward to the contest, you guys put a lot of work into it and it shows. I love the field and the 20' subs...

Can't wait

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:05 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
I might show up this week to scope and learn the field. Is there any time which is good?

Killer
Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:09 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerAir
CT crew will be there.
Killer 2 days
Byron, Saturday
Felix will be at the Nats for F3B
I'll see if Jim Hahn is going as well as Steve Plasierb, Myles and Roger

I'll see if Jim
Tell Jim that we have a plamate for his first born! The kids and wives can hand at the house (3.5 miles away form the field), go shopping, etc.

Love having you guys at the contest! The more the merrier.

Anyone even just thinking of coming, even if you might not, sign up. This way I can work out any frequency conflicts and make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Thanks

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
We are looking into cutting the field on Sunday, probably from like 9 - 12pm or 1PM.

We will try to make the field accessible to flying ASAP but it needs to be done.

We also have a club electric contest posted. We usually share the field anyway on Sunday for the H.L. and LMR club contests.

You are welcome to come Sat as well and since we will be cutting Sunday, there might be guys showing up then.

Either day is good but while someone is on the field cutting we have to maintain as much safety as possible so schedule your time to come accordingly. You can't hear a thing while on the tractor and we don't want to run over your plane!

Call me as the time gets closer and I can be there so you will be my 'guest' (County policy). I am sure other LISFers might also offer to open the gate and fly with you.

Just say the time, and we will accommodate.

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 21, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:18 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Damn....I have to get my Butt in gear, thought I had another couple weeks. Have to put the Epona back together and if at all possible get the Vandal going...that might be a long shot though I would really like to fly her LISFHLC. Will see you guys down there with at least one plane.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Excellent! If you need a hand Jim give me a call.

Killer
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
awesome

If you need anything once you get down here, just say the word. If anything I have can be of help, it's yours.

glad to have you guys!

Frank
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:17 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
OK, guys, take a look.

Beautiful field!

Everyone having a good time!

If you are already an ESL member, then you register here:
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...list.asp?cid=6

If you are not yet an ESL member then you can sign up here. It's free!
http://www.flyesl.com/signup.asp

Don't you just want to be there?

Ed
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:04 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
Guys,
It was asked of me if people were allowed to camp on the nature preserve. We are looking into it still but so far things are not sounding favorable due to various parks dept. regulations and coverage.

I did find about 10 mins or so away was a legit campsite called Battle Row Campground

Call to make arrangements!

Here's some info:

Battle Row Campground
Old Bethpage, Claremont Road; located in the eastern part of Nassau County.
516-572-8690

Comprising 44 acres of campground and dense woods, Battle Row is an ideal place to relax with family and friends. Battle Row has 64 campsites ranging in length from 40 to 45 feet, with more than half of these equipped with water and 30amp/125-volt electric hookups. A comfort station is equipped with restrooms and private showers. The campground also offers swings; a recreational field; a softball field; a rally field for club group camping; and tent and overflow campsites (unimproved). Leisure Pass holders receive resident rate.

Season: April November.

Directions: Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 48 South (Round Swamp Road). Go about one mile to Bethpage-SweetHollow Road and make a left. Make a right onto Claremont Street. Entrance is on the right.

Or,

Take Sunrise Highway to Route 110 North. Proceed to Spagnoli Road and turn left. Follow Spagnoli Road to Claremont Road. Make a left and then a right into the campground.

For out of towners, the prices are as follows:
if you are bringing a tent $18/night
if you are bringing a RV $26/night

This is the cheapest stay I have ever heard of on long Island!!

SO unless I find out otherwise, I am sorry to say that camping at Stillwell is not allowed.

Frank
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:14 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
Just a reminder. Please register on or before Tuesday July 29th.

As of that evening, I will be closing registration. I need to organize groups and make final decisions on how the contest groups will be done.

Novices, I may or may not have you guys separate from the rest. I think you would like to knwo how you would have done against the best of the best so I migh just have 3 groups all mixed instead of 2 mixed groups of Sportsmen and Experts and one group of Novices.

Please post if you have any preferences. I will take them into consideration.

Thanks

Come and have some fun with the LISF crew!

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:06 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
Guys,
The field is in great shape for the most part. Due to trailer hitch availability we have moverd the mowing to Saturday at 9am. It shouldn't take long at all. For the most part we are going to be trying to mark the perimeter of the flying zone, if possible. The grass is so low that it feels like pool table felt!

We are also toying with opening the field size up to the entire semicircular cut area (600-800ft diameter) circle. I have to see if there is such a thing as too large a field. Based on the number flying per group, the smallish 'soccer field' like cut for the landing zone seems to be nice and is a bit more challenging since to get to a tree line you will have to fly a bit to get there.

We'll see on Sat. if it can be demarcated or not.

Last weekend to practice! Get ready for some fun!!!!

I hope to post the tasks either today or tomorrow

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:25 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
As promissed for the Carnivores in all of us I have searched out local steakhouses:

I have not eaten at any of them so I do not know the prices. I was told that Majors was reasonable, Manero does have different dinner prices than lunch. Both were good based on their comment and are rather local to the field. I do not have any comments on the others.

Here's the list:
Majors Steak House 8289 Jericho Tpke Woodbury, NY 11797 (we should pass it as we come from 135 to the field if memory serves me or it is right near 135 - see map)
(516) 367-7300

Steak House, 19 Ira Rd, Syosset, NY 11791
(516) 921-1430

Manero's Steak House, 352 Jericho Tpke, Syosset, NY 11791
(516) 921-1690

Frank's Steaks, 4 Jericho Tpke, Jericho, NY 11753 (7-10min west of the field, next town over)
(516) 338-4595
www.frankssteaks.com

One year we did do Outback on Broadway (Rt107) in Hicksville but that is more like a T.G.I.Fridays to me.

I am game for anything. If you wish to do the pizza again that's fine too. I leave it up to public opinion.

Hope this list is helpful.....

Sincerely,

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:31 AM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,333 Posts
Hey Frank

If I were able to make it I would have to remind you that "vegetables are not food, vegetables are what FOOD EATS"
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:35 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
The second and third are fairly pricy places. Just FYI. If you are looking at higher end places, Franks is a good choice. There are others in the area too.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr