HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2003, 08:55 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
GWS P51 Landing Gear or none???

Since it's crappy out, I've decided to build the P51. I initially wanted to put retracts on the P51 (if I'm going to put landing gear on it, it will be retractable and not fixed). For those that have built and flown the P51, I need some input to the following:
1. I've seen some photos from those that installed retracts on the plane. How have they worked for you in real life? Looking at the GWS retracts, the wire for the legs look beefy but the way to attach the base to the foam looks sorta weak. Has anyone put in any reinforcement (say, a balsa strip) to where it mounts in the wing? Also, how have they fared landing-wise?
2. If you are using retracts, which channel did you use. I have channel 4 for retracts on my Laser 6 but it looks like it's for "gas operated retract system", (I'm assuming it's like a trigger). Will channel 4 in my case work, or is it better to use Channel 6 for flaps which is proportional?
3. How does the plane fly with the extra weight?
4. For those that did NOT put landing gear on your P51, how far forward did you have to adjust your battery for proper CG. Since I haven't put the fuse together yet, I'm thinking of adding some battery room by removing some foam from the front.
5. If you do not have landing gear, did you also ditch the rudder servo?
Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Gary
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2003, 04:03 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
1. I've seen some photos from those that installed retracts on the plane. How have they worked for you in real life? Looking at the GWS retracts, the wire for the legs look beefy but the way to attach the base to the foam looks sorta weak. Has anyone put in any reinforcement (say, a balsa strip) to where it mounts in the wing? Also, how have they fared landing-wise?

I put some .007 Carbon fiber on the front of the LG mount box about 3" long, cut a slit in the wing for it and used epoxy to glue it all in

2. If you are using retracts, which channel did you use. I have channel 4 for retracts on my Laser 6 but it looks like it's for "gas operated retract system", (I'm assuming it's like a trigger). Will channel 4 in my case work, or is it better to use Channel 6 for flaps which is proportional?

The retract channel should be operated by a switch, a regular servo works best (I used a HS55) and a computer radion with ATV so you can fine tune the throws

3. How does the plane fly with the extra weight?

Fine, the extra weight was less than an oz, you can make up for it by using the lightest equipment available..
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jan 31, 2003, 08:53 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Thanks Dave...

I downloaded pictures of your install. It should help greatly!
Was the HS55 able to handle the retract duties. I bought a little heavier duty Hitec (HS81) to ensure positive retracts, is this overkill..
Oh yeah... one more thing, which tailwheel did you use?
Old Jan 31, 2003, 08:58 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
yes the hs81 is overkill, as long as you dont have any off sets or dog legs the hs55 is fine, plus it would be hard to center the output shaft of the larger hs81 and keep the servo inside the open part of the fuse. The tail wheel was a 3/4" lite flight I think, it was too wide for the stock tail wheel wire, so I drilled a recess which allowed the plastic retainer to fit below the surface of the wheel.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 09:12 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Thanks again Dave...

I think I'll extend the battery bay a little bit forward anyway as I can always stuff it with foam in case I need to move the CG back... I'm using HeCell 8 packs so hopefully the "stang" can stay up for a little while.
Did you perform any other fuse or wing reinforcements?
Old Jan 31, 2003, 09:33 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
no other mods except open the batt compartment all the way, and smoothed the air intake to the batt area, also increase batt room height, all done before gluing the fuse together of course. The HE's sound good, esp with the stock motor, retiming will help. no other mods except the pull=pull rudder. I should have installed a antenna tube to route the antenna out to behind the canopy, no way to do it now. I will prob use a azarr and mount it internally.