SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2009, 01:15 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,074 Posts
i was thinking the same thing. you must be related to my father just kidding.

sounds like your maiden when exceptionally well. its not often you can climb out from a hand launch with a model you dont have a lot of time on. this is great to hear! i am still working on my build, but once i have some free time in the next couple months, my X will be up and running. this has taken me too long! i hate responsibility. i just want to fly!
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 06:13 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,688 Posts
I put the CG right at 108 and it was fine. It is a slow flying plane and not like my xpro I had. I have flown Pike Perfects and it is very similar.

You know you have to beat kids once a day . My senior is bigger than me now. But the 1st grader I can still take.

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old May 13, 2009, 01:37 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
I put the CG right at 108 and it was fine. It is a slow flying plane and not like my xpro I had. I have flown Pike Perfects and it is very similar.

You know you have to beat kids once a day . My senior is bigger than me now. But the 1st grader I can still take.

Jeff

You could always refrane from beating them and make them do single and two kid tows with your X on the weekends... This way they get excercise which leaves them too exausted to try your nerves and you get some launches too but then again it appears all you need to do is throw your plane...

The thermals around here are rarely strong enough to pick up hay that low to the ground accept in August. After 4 years of TD flying I have yet to hand launch into a thermal and spec out... good work!
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old May 14, 2009, 01:04 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Looks good Mike! I really like the colors, kinda retro but most importantly I bet that thing is going to really pop in the sky! Can't wait to see it fly.

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old May 14, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
All right. Let me grab my popcorn. Thanks Mike.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old May 14, 2009, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,036 Posts
Does the new plane warrant a new thread, This one is getting a bit long already?

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old May 14, 2009, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Mike,

Is that a Carbon canopy?

So you have the 3800 and 4000

3800 uses same fuse larger center pannel, tips and stabs?

Is the 4000 a whole new ship?

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old May 14, 2009, 01:02 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,941 Posts
Hi Joe,
The canopy is not CF...just a well done opaque black resin and fiberglass. Note that some tints, especially very dark ones like black, contain a significant amount of lead to help make it opaque. Test your radio installation carefully when faced with such densely colored items.

I do not have a 4000 on hand. Only the 3800. However, I have seen a 4000, and this is a whole new plane. The fuselage is larger, longer, deeper. Wings are simply new being longer and wider in chord. Nothing interchageable between the original and 3800 to the 4000. You can interchange the wings and stab of the original and 3800 as both use the same fuselage.

Progress update. The left wing has the servo installed, (photos tonight) and for those who have installed the JR 368 servo, you will know that this servo is just a tad too thick for the servo cover to sit exactly down in the wing skin. I did clip the tip of the servo mounting lug off, and then I stuck the wing cover on the surface of the wing skin, not into the relief that is molded in. Unless you look closely, you will not know this. By doing so, the cover fits flat. Sorry, but that's all for now.
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old May 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe101
Mike,

Is the 4000 a whole new ship?

sj

Yes. You can see 3 views on NAN's website, and the fuse length is longer on the 4000, but the same on the 3500 and 3800.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 15, 2009, 03:37 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
I'm not good at figuring out wing area on an elliptical wing tip shape, but my guesstimate on total wing area is about 1,270 sq inches. If this is true or even fairly close, and we take the average of X plane weights of 76-oz, then we will have a wing loading of 8.6 oz/sq-ft....awesome! And if we come in lighter, that's just icing on the cake!

Mike
Mike, great guess. On Nan's site they listed the Wing area for the 3800 at 81.50 dm^2 which is about 1263 in^2.

I just picked up a set of ET's from SUSA and will Rad them to fit existing center panels. From a quick glance earlier, the ails are much stiffer and Nan added subrib to servo cutouts.

For those that will be using ET's don't forget to add nose weight to keep CG. . I will weigh the tips and stab tomorrow.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old May 15, 2009, 09:38 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,941 Posts
Hi Fnn,

Hmmmm...guess them years of studying math wasn't lost afterall. Thanks!

Back to some build photos, please note again that if this stuff seems boring, that's because what I do is no different than what most other people do when doing a build.

DETAILS: Okay, so with installing the 368 servo, it is a tad too thick to fit into the servo bay and then have the servo cover fit down into the molded depression. I simply make the cover a bit wider and glue it to the skin and it looks fine. Most people who see it do not know the cover is on top until they run their fingers over it. And there is no bulge from the servo.

My pushrod is simple tempered rod stock. Okay, this might be different than most people. I place a simple "L" bend at the control horn side and then a soldered on clevis at the servo side. By drilling a hole through the drag spar so that the pushrod can just fit through without rubbing, it causes the pushrod to have to be stretched sideways in order to be inserted into the control horn. It is a very tight fit. Under the worst case scenario in the air, this pushrod cannot be foced out of the control horn. There is far too much tension required to push the rod sideways and disengage it. So, I do not use any retainer or wheel collar to keep the pushrod in place. It is simple, easy and effective. If I need to make a pushrod adjustment that I don't want to use the servo trim to correct, I simply bring up the soldering iron and re-flow the clevis joint. Done. I know....someone might think, what do you do to retrim? On a properly set-up model of this size and using this type of hardware, a major trim change requiring a serious adjustment means you have done something really bad to cause this problem and you should take it home to find out why. Initial trim is done on the bench. You should only need to perform minor flight trim in the field. If you work with this goal in mind, you should not have to worry about adjusting the pushrod.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:39 AM
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
Lead?

You have got to be kidding me that lead is used in that epoxy pigment. No wonder I fly Samba
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old May 15, 2009, 09:54 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,941 Posts
Hi Keith,

You might be really amazed at how many products contain significant amounts of lead in the item. I work for a local Government agency which has the Department of Environmental Health as one of the responsibilities. We have had to confiscate things like beach balls, lunch bags, toys, printed materials, shirts, food wrapping, ...all kinds of consumer products which had high trace levels of lead inside. Enough that contamination would occur when in contact with humans. I even thought, beach balls??? Yup. Remember that paint and tinted materials are actually a combination of dissolved solids suspended within a medium that is liquid and will harden with the solids intact. One of the things that made a significant change in the paint industry was the elimination or significant reduction of lead content...and VOC's. Even today, many municipalities still have lead paint removal programs in residential areas. Depending on where the paint or tint originated from, it may not have been subject to the same restrictions we use to limit the content of the paint and its' dissolved solids. We know the plane is from Bulgaria, but where did the resin and tinting agents originate from? It was only mentioned as a precaution, annd I would rather error on the side of safety than risk. But it was a great thought, Keith!

Mike
Old May 15, 2009, 09:54 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Lead in the pigment.....thats it for me as well. If I cant chew on my plane while venting, especially after a bad landing, I want nooooo part of it! Wheres my Pike???? I feel the need to teeth! Guess Ill have to give up fishing next.
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy