HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2009, 02:43 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
476 Posts
After CA'ing the coupler to the rod, slide a small section of heat shrink tubing over the coupler and overlapping the rod. Drip some CA inside the heat shrink tubing. Use your torch to shrink the tubing. Some Ca will push out of both ends. The coupler will never come off.

George
SaltyOne is online now Find More Posts by SaltyOne
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2009, 04:55 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne
Use your torch to shrink the tubing.
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old May 04, 2009, 05:44 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,755 Posts
I managed a 35 minute flight with the Xplorer yesterday....
I did experience one small problem though:

I got a sore neck, and started to get a bit bored, so had to land, and intentionally came down, in one piece.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 04, 2009, 07:26 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,057 Posts
Nice flight wingman!

Clay
Got my LSF 30 minute thermal yesterday - you?
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old May 04, 2009, 07:29 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,755 Posts
Yeah, that was fun. We'll have to do that again sometime.

R,
Target
Old May 04, 2009, 08:34 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
I managed a 35 minute flight with the Xplorer yesterday....
I did experience one small problem though:

I got a sore neck, and started to get a bit bored, so had to land, and intentionally came down, in one piece.

Target
Two thumbs up! Beautiful planes aren't they.
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old May 07, 2009, 07:24 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
89 Posts
Folks, could you please help me out and comment on the flying chracteristics of the NAN-F3J airfoil of this model? I'm not experienced in airfoils and want to know the difference between this airfoil and AVA/Topaz kind of airfoils. I know some airfoils are rendered as 'fast', others as 'slippery'. What is the kind of the 'NAN-F3J' one and what does it add to the flying performance of the Explorer? Thank you!

LedZep
Led Zeppelin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zeppelin
Old May 08, 2009, 10:01 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,755 Posts
Pretty!

T
Old May 08, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Nice, very nice!

Does mean an all new build thread (I hope, I hope)?
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old May 08, 2009, 10:26 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,965 Posts
More 3800 info

I have only just removed the plane from the wrappings, so I do not have any build info nor finished weights. My standard outfit will be used, with 3421 in for the flaps, and everything else gets 368's. Power will be a 2S Li-Ion Relion with a Castle Creations BEC, all JR euipment and guided by a JR X9303 2.4 system.

The specs: (I know you wnat that)

Wing center panel: 56-3/16" long, same chord as original @ 10.5"

Outer panel: 47" long @ TE

Fuselage: Same as original

Stab span: 32" @ TE, 5-3/16" chord at root

Will the wing fit an earlier fuselage? Let's see......Indeed, it does! Perfect match on my X's!

I really have to pay attention to my dinner right now, before it burns, but I will keep you updated on how this project goes as we progress. I'm not good at figuring out wing area on an elliptical wing tip shape, but my guesstimate on total wing area is about 1,270 sq inches. If this is true or even fairly close, and we take the average of X plane weights of 76-oz, then we will have a wing loading of 8.6 oz/sq-ft....awesome! And if we come in lighter, that's just icing on the cake!

Mike
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old May 09, 2009, 12:23 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,237 Posts
Man, that is a sweet looking ship. Very 70's retro sloper.

Sorry, but my eyes must be getting worse than I thought, cause I just can not see what you are standing on, my friend.

J
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2009, 12:37 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,057 Posts
I don't understand why a plane is designed painstakenly well with certain proportions, then a year later they add a foot to the span without changing the fuselage. I mean if they started with the new 150" wing first and then designed the fuselage, wouldn't the fuselage be longer than the one used on the 136 inch plane? Seems there should be a tradeoff somewhere?

Mike, not trying to rain on your parade, just wondering ?

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old May 09, 2009, 01:00 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,965 Posts
Hi Clay,

You're not raining on my parade. But I do whish for you to consider this;

The Xplorer followed on the heels of the successful Shadow design, which was 144" wingspan and it had a very long fuselage for the design. Xplorer then comes out and it has an even longer fuselage but shorter span than Shadow. So, having the longer wing probably won't have much adverse effect on the handling other than a bit quirky yaw moment in comparison to the very smooth movement on the original X. I am only thinking this MIGHT happen, so please wait to see what happens in real life before we make any judgement calls. I'm only a beginner at aircraft design and don't hold a candle to the guys who do this for a living. I understand about an inch of how things work in the aerodynamics world, where guys like JW might know miles worth. And then you have Dr. Drela! So, again, let's see what happens when this plane gets into the air.

Thanks!
Mike
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old May 09, 2009, 01:42 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
I don't understand why a plane is designed painstakenly well with certain proportions, then a year later they add a foot to the span without changing the fuselage. I mean if they started with the new 150" wing first and then designed the fuselage, wouldn't the fuselage be longer than the one used on the 136 inch plane? Seems there should be a tradeoff somewhere?

Mike, not trying to rain on your parade, just wondering ?

Clay
I agree.

Having flown Aspire from the beginning I also know that building a large ship with optimal weight/strength relationship is not easy. Somewhere here is a post by Lubos about these difficulties... First Aspires were little (not badly) heavy. It took some time from Lubos to finalize the structure.

Large ships are kind of fun to fly, but I believe in a more incremental approach to plane development. Having a large plane with inadqualte structure is not the right approach for competitions...

Anyway, all the best to NAN :-)
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo