HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
A nice 2.4 setup is definitely worth it. Flying a 9303 2.4 in my "non Xplorer F3J" plane and have had absolutely 0 issues and fly at a school field 1 or 2 times a week. Every now and then a little electric will pop up out of no where and its nice to not have to worry about if I am about to be shot down or not.

If you stay on 72mhz the JR receivers are AWESOME! I run the 720 synth receiver inside my full carbon slope racer fuse and have never had a glitch. My first flight on my F3J ship was on 72mhz with the antenna inside the kevlar/carbon fuse. Up and out FAR and no issues. Have never had to extend an antenna.

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Oooooooh, cool! Then get a JR R770 or the R790 Rx and you'll be forever happy. Oh, and like Target, my Xp has a tail hanging out back as well.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:27 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,115 Posts
I have been flying my Xplorer on DSM2 2.4 from day one and have not had even a blip . I have the on-board data logger and have not had one single hold other than when I finally walked out of range during the range test at about 150 or so paces. I never got that kind of range out of my 72 stuff. I am now completely converted over to 2.4 having sold my last 72 plane on Saturday. I too fly in areas where there can be a park flyer pop up unexpectedly and it is nice to not have to worry about them anymore.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,925 Posts
Hi Scabby,

I have a resource that discusses things like extending antennas on both 72 and 2.4 Ghz. It's called the 2-Point-4 Chronicles, and it's no cost to anyone. You can download it here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/respri94/

I have compiled a bunch of info based on theory, practivcal application and myth busting. It is mostly about what we did on 2.4, but there is info on messing with longer antennas for 72-mHz. Have a good time!

Mike
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:59 AM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
I will check it out for sure.
Thanks Mike!
Allan
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Well this is starting to look familiar--except...one thing..

Hey it was a fantastic day.

The Xplorer was trimmed and ready to go.

Nice thermals...77 degrees and 7 mph wind...

Drive 40 minutes to a great field....

Can you see why I didnt fly.....

Forgot the canopy..right next to charger....unbelievable....

I did a few test glides....(thanks Chris) This plane just goes and goes...even with the air conditioner on.
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,113 Posts
utcadman,

No Duct tape available?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,439 Posts
that sure is a beautifull background, thx for sharing.

have fun with your new toy.

dave www.rc-builds.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman

I did a few test glides....(thanks Chris) This plane just goes and goes...even with the air conditioner on.
dhauch is online now Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:55 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman

I have to one up you....its not much of a one up but I went to my field which is 5 minutes away, got my winch setup, pulled out my easy up and not easy up'd it by myself, pulled my plane box out and turned on the tunes waiting for some friends to show up for a day of flying....then I realized...no stabs. LOL

I was too lazy to take it all down so I had to wait for the first guy to show up and watch my gear while I went back home and got them.

My X cam with both the 2.4 friendly and the carbon canopy. One i salways in my flight box

of course in May I wont need the carbon canopy.

DW
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:04 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,204 Posts
No Canopy brings back memories of my very first contest ever. I entered with an RES model. Even without the canopy it didn't stop me from flying in the contest. Even without the canopy it was nose heavy as heck. I would loop from a dive test.

Probably placed dead last of all contestant, but it hooked me for good.

On a side note, I am expecting a set of Xtended tips from SUSA soon!
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:09 AM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Thanks...well now I know I can do it at least. I didnt know if I would be setting myself up for some catastrophic change.

I may have been a bit paranoid.....
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:20 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,352 Posts
I had a chance to fly Tuan's Explorer on Sunday. His RDS install was amazing. Absolutely no slop in the linkage whatsoever.

My first and only flight observations - this is a nicely behaved and top performing sailplane. The sections WORK. Planform, moments, stab and fin size... all right on.

What I was most impressed with was the section. Pulls hard on tow, covers ground, and thermals properly.

Kudos to whoever designed this one.

have fun with them guys

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
No Canopy brings back memories of my very first contest ever. I entered with an RES model. Even without the canopy it didn't stop me from flying in the contest. Even without the canopy it was nose heavy as heck. I would loop from a dive test.

Probably placed dead last of all contestant, but it hooked me for good.

On a side note, I am expecting a set of Xtended tips from SUSA soon!

Please PM me I have a question abotu the tips
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:15 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined Jan 2006
177 Posts
Has anyone used a remote receiver in the wing? I have a JR 9303 2.4 and plan on using a 921 receiver and remote in the fuse and adding another remote in the wing. The plane is a "D-Tube".

Thanks in advance for any info.

Phil
podrieger is online now Find More Posts by podrieger
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:41 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins
I had a chance to fly Tuan's Explorer on Sunday. His RDS install was amazing. Absolutely no slop in the linkage whatsoever.

My first and only flight observations - this is a nicely behaved and top performing sailplane. The sections WORK. Planform, moments, stab and fin size... all right on.

What I was most impressed with was the section. Pulls hard on tow, covers ground, and thermals properly.

Kudos to whoever designed this one.

have fun with them guys

D
How lucky am I to have DP take a go at the sticks?!?! I'll add that the Xplorer is so easy to fly well, that even an intermediate flyer like me can be competitive with it. Daryl thinks I could move CG back some. I am flying it about 106.5-107mm due to a little heavier skeg. But I know I can not fly it smoothly at where he could.

I'll test it more when I get 2nd X done... speaking of which...I should be able to get to it Mon or Tues... currently out of town now.

Thanks again Daryl!
T
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard