HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:09 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
Yay!

Thanks to all.

Bob, I'll take a fish taco instead of the plug, the next time I'm up there!

Regards,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:30 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
Here's a thread on how I made my harness to fit the Nan Shadow which is the same for the X.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9449381&postcount=8

On the Xplorer, I used 24g wire and didn't twist as much to save some weight.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:35 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,655 Posts
Just so you know the DB-15 is the same size as the DB-9 I use the 15 pin connector because this way everything has its own ground sig and power wire. Just a little over kill but worth it to me

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:02 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
Just so you know the DB-15 is the same size as the DB-9 .
That's news to me Would you have a couple of P/N's? Are we talking about Sub miniature or micro sized D connectors?
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Last edited by ScabbyNubtail; Feb 15, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
They had them at the Radio Shack I was in last night; but I went for the 9 pin ones instead.
It will be even harder to keep another whole row of pins seperated for me, I will stick to two rows on pins.

Jeff must be quite a intricate soldering expert.

Regards,
Target

P/N's are 276-1501, 276-1502 for the 15 pin set.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102496
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:42 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
They had them at the Radio Shack I was in last night; but I went for the 9 pin ones instead.
It will be even harder to keep another whole row of pins seperated for me, I will stick to two rows on pins.

Jeff must be quite a intricate soldering expert.

Regards,
Target

P/N's are 276-1501, 276-1502 for the 15 pin set.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102496
Ahh...3 row pins...gotcha
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:05 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,189 Posts
King Pin...

Sorry Chris I just caught up on his tread.
Yeah they have both sizes but the size or the wire you use is a limiting factor for me anyway I had 22awg guage wire which will not fit in the 15 pin connectors... So I went with what I knew the 9 pin.
I have a few high end soldering stations...all with differenttips moves the jobs along.

All in good time.

Regards Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:09 PM
Monza, Italy
Joined Dec 2006
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
Just so you know the DB-15 is the same size as the DB-9 I use the 15 pin connector because this way everything has its own ground sig and power wire. Just a little over kill but worth it to me

Jeff
Less soldering point = Less possible fault sources !!
Less contact point = Less possible fault sources !!
andreis is offline Find More Posts by andreis
Old Feb 15, 2009, 07:07 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
To make some redundancy, you can connect the 2 + and - on each side of the DB9.

Also, today I got a little more time on the X and I am still moving the lead piece I have on the boom back some more. I got a few flights in and it is still stable and tracks nicely. When I got home measured the CG and I am now at 108mm!

With SWC coming up, I will leave it there for now. I also had my AVA out to fine tune the thing and it seems the X will thermal as slow as the AVA. And that is without camber. I am trying to find out my speed envelope and continue to be really impress with this plane.

Not that you'd want to thermal it that slow in the first place. Meaning it will go up faster if you keep the speed up. Maybe that's what Jack meant by mentioning it likes to thermal faster.

Anyway, fast or slow, it will do both very well. If anyone wants to try his hands on this plane at the SWC, don't be shy. Just come up and ask.

T
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 15, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:48 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Ok, I keep hearing this flying faster resulting in greater climb rate theory, can someone explain it to me please?

I was also told at the Nats last year by more than one person, that I'd get a better climb rate if I ballasted. Anyone who wants to take a shot at that I'm all ears...

CG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard

Not that you'd want to thermal it that slow in the first place. Meaning it will go up faster if you keep the speed up. Maybe that's what Jack meant by mentioning it likes to thermal faster.

Anyway, fast or slow, it will do both very well. If anyone wants to try his hands on this plane at the SWC, don't be shy. Just come up and ask.

T
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:20 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
I can't explain it. Maybe I am coring better or tighter so it seems I am flying faster. The air today was very good so I experimented in various thermals by pulling up ele while trying to maintain same dia circle. The plane would slow down and continue going up.

Now I back off a little on ele to keep speed up and it rises faster. Again, I don't know why nor can I explain it. It's just my observation, but I can surely duplicated it. As a matter of fact I had another pilot fly the plane and he made the same comments without me even saying anything.

I've heard of various airfoils "liking" to fly at whatever speeds. I have to agree from my personal experiences.

Oh yeah, I'll wear some headcams at SWC and we can all see how I fly. But even at Visalia, I remember flying a Shadow then pretty fast in thermals. Probably faster than any other plane in the same air. I've emntion that a few itmes in my Shadow build thread. Now that comment by itself doesn't say much, but I have to add, by the time I am comfortable in making my time, usually I am highest in the air in that particular thermal, even if I enter it quite a bit lower.

Any additional comments would be appreciated. I never want to stop learning .
tuan
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
In any thermaling situation, flying at your glider's minimum sinking speed will result in a better climb rate. A ballasted glider will always have a higher sink rate and a higher airspeed for minimum sink than an unballasted glider. That sink rate is subtracted from the rate the thermal is rising. Sometimes the glider may zoom a bit from excess speed and appear to climb faster, but the net result of the lighter glider will always be better... ie. it will climb faster. Having flown my Xplorer a few more times since I wrote that, I have figured out it's minimum sinking speed, and it's slower than I was flying at first. Flying faster than necessary will NOT make your climb faster, in fact, quite the opposite. Very often, minimum sinking airspeed is at stall speed. That doesn't seem to be the case with the Xplorer, but it's very close to it. If this was not so, we wouldn't worry about having the lightest wing loading possible.

Also consider, some sailplanes will mush badly if flown slower than minimum sinking airspeed. They will do this before stalling. If you're letting off the elevator a bit and actually climbing faster, this may be happening. However, it's hard to know if you have the thermal cored effectively. Letting off the elevator will move the circle somewhat without changing the bank angle. That's another old full-scale trick...

Flying full-scale in contests, we often launch with a full ballast load (water), only to dump part or all of it when the lift doesn't develop into what we thought it would be. That decreases our sink rate and allows us to use the lighter thermals to stay aloft. When the day is strong, however, the ballast allows us to cruise faster at the same L/D, and our pull-ups have more inertia so the initial thermal manuver nets more altitude in exchange for airspeed. Even on the strong days, our thermaling climb rate suffers when ballasted.

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Feb 15, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:49 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
I have to add that the little added speed was just a little faster than the AVA but still slower than the Pike Perfect. So this faster speed is relative.

I can tell this plane can thermal very very slowly and backing off the ele just a little it seems better going faster. I told my flying friend look how slowly this thing can thermal and we both agree it seem like the speed of an AVA.

I gave him the controls and walk away. Like 40 minutes later he landed and made that comment. Maybe the extra speed made for smoother turns or less affected by turbulence? Hmmm.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
Another thing we learn in full-scale is that turbulent thermals do reguire a little extra airspeed. It's more about not stalling and spinning in, especially during low saves. You're correct in thinking that the extra airspeed will smooth things out, but flying R/C, I don't worry about that as much since I'm not sitting in it, and won't be the first one on the scene if I crash...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:13 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
Maybe the extra speed made for smoother turns or less affected by turbulence? Hmmm.

I think that sometimes people mistake flying very slowly for an efficient flight speed.
Minimum sinking speed might not be minimum flying speed.

T