SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:40 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Really cool . The baseball field looked quite small from post launch height,but in the landing it was way bigger than i thought , and there was traffic on one of the crossroads . It's quite interesting and challenging to fly over built-up area , mess up something and you might be in trouble . Nice vids and good luck in the competitions .
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:06 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,940 Posts
Xplorer

Howdy,
here's one for your Viewing Pleasure...

http://www.soaringusa.com/videos/Xplorer_F3J.wmv

Thanks to Ed Stewart, and ISS !

All the Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2009, 10:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,484 Posts
Very cool camera setup!!!!!!!!!!!

Very impressed
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Last edited by AlpineDSacro; Feb 03, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:05 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Hi finnwizard , i have a question about the aileron rds yoke pocket , exactly how did you get the pocket's walls width to match the yoke diameter for no slop . And what is the yokes angle i mean the bend degree . Could i use the same dimensions and stuff from the M.Drela Supra RDS drawing from the charlesriverss site :? I want to get rid of the huge servo covers on my tragi 705+ wingtips . And what do you think of the weight of two aileron rds setup you did on your explorer . ? How did you secure the round servo covers to the wing ??
Last edited by Charged; Feb 04, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:25 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Bob, that's a very cool video! Well worth the download!
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:29 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged
Hi finnwizard , i have a question about the aileron rds yoke pocket , exactly how did you get the pocket's walls width to match the yoke diameter for no slop . And what is the yokes angle i mean the bend degree . Could i use the same dimensions and stuff from the M.Drela Supra RDS drawing from the charlesriverss site :? I want to get rid of the huge servo covers on my tragi 705+ wingtips . And what do you think of the weight of two aileron rds setup you did on your explorer . ?

Hi Charged,

I have all the details drawn up in post #651. The RDS rods with the bend are .104". I made pockets with .100". The bends are 30 degrees. In the pdf, it shows 2 angles 30 or 32 degrees. I thought I may need the throw, but now I know on the X I will only bend 20 degrees on the next one.

The additional weight was about 3-4g per side because you'd be able to get rid of the control rod for the ail which would usually be 2 clevises and its connecting rod.

You could probably do it Drela's way and it would work fine. I opted to make different yoke at servo because then the servo arm does not have to be 180degrees in line with the wing skin.

Study the pdf in post 651 carefully and you will see all the info is there.

Good luck with modification if you do it and pictures please !

Tuan
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 05, 2009, 04:15 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
ok Thanks man .The rds install dont seem not that hard to do . Just have to get everything aligned and tested before i glue something in . A one more thing , how did you attatch the round servo cover to the wing . ??
Old Feb 05, 2009, 10:20 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Quote:
ok Thanks man .The rds install dont seem not that hard to do . Just have to get everything aligned and tested before i glue something in . A one more thing , how did you attatch the round servo cover to the wing . ??
Hmm thought I had posted this picture already, but I guess not.

I just cut a round piece of tape and put on there. I have a friend that had cut some round vinyl for me also, but have not changed it out yet.

There's no support under the cover as I felt it did not need it since it is a nice tight fit.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 11:20 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Looks good and inspiring , i found that my wingtip hinge line is in the top skin and it makes a difference and the flap spar in the center piece is much further from the hinge line .
Old Feb 05, 2009, 11:27 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Looks good and inspiring , i found that my wingtip hinge line is in the top skin and it makes a difference and the flap spar in the center piece is much further from the hinge line .
That should still work. Just try to have the elbow of the bent rod lay as flat to the hingeline as possible. even if the elbow in in the middle of the space it should be ok if you allow enough for/aft movement of the yoke.

If you want some help to think it through, take some pictures of the panels and post it. I can help you draw it out on PDF.

Man, have I mention how lucky am to be working at home and on the computer all day?

TL
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:34 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Hi finnwizard , thanks i'll probably post some pictures for your help , have to lend a camera meanwhile . But did you get the system slop free or how tight did you get the rds system , i mean the pocket and the rod holes. Im using hitec 5152 mg digitals by the way , these should do the job ? Im gathering some knowledge how it works , not to forget anything and get a whole picture what i have to do ,get it as close to 100% reliable to certain extent of usage limits .
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:57 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Charged, I sent you pm so as to keep this thread on Xplorer.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 09:02 AM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro
Howdy,
here's one for your Viewing Pleasure...

http://www.soaringusa.com/videos/Xplorer_F3J.wmv

Thanks to Ed Stewart, and ISS !

All the Best,
Bob
Thanks Bob...The Jimi Hendrix tune was a cool touch. Is this Cali or Down Under?
This is another Xplorer vid I found on YouTube.
Xplorer (8 min 31 sec)
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Feb 07, 2009, 09:39 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Its in Riverside California, S. East of Los Angeles
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 07, 2009, 10:42 AM
Bro
Southern California